Are you arty and/or crafty? We love to see and be inspired by your latest creations.

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I've started this new thread as the old one on this theme seems to have become a little redundant. Do pop over there, though, if you'd like to see some of the creations from before, they are well worth a look. :love:

Art and creativity, of all kinds, is one of the most positive ways of expressing one's self. It has been proven that it is a very useful tool in combating depression and is also a great way of sharing a little bit of yourself visually with the world.

Please do let us see what you have been making and, if possible encourage others to try new things, too. :flowerpower:

• We had some real talent showing up on the old thread didn't we? I've got back into making my own clothes in the last year and have been doing a lot of quilting. Recently while having a rummage through some old boxes, I found the very first quilt blocks I ever made. I abandoned them because I didn't think they were very good and had intended to dismantle some of them and re-do them. Then I thought, fuck it. They were the beginning of my quilt journey. So I completed the quilt and it's not half bad. The block is called the Bear Paw and it's my all time favourite block. And here's the quilt in all it's wonky glory.P4060001.JPG

• omg that quilt is lush!

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• sun_moon.jpg

Oh look ^ ^ ^ ^ It's the Sun and Moon. They have papier maché faces and charity shop jewels. The Sun's face is a mask held on with Velcro - a battery votive flickers behind his eyes and in one hand. The Moon is also known as Keef Moon, and I cuddle him every time I take him out his box. Yes those are googly eyes. Creepy AF but the Moon is kind of odd for real, I think. We only ever see one side.

Maggi, you made me like orange along with your lovely jewel colours on that quilt! I need to finish more Household Gauds. They are a mixture of art dolls, found materials and too much time alone as a child reading Greek myths and Grimm's unedited fairy tales.

NiteGaud2.jpg

This is the back of the Gaud of the Night Garden. His attribute, Sluggo, leaves a trail of glitter-slime. I actually felt sick making the slug, I really don't like them! Moths decorate the Gaud's shirt. His face is a Green Man resin deco I bought in Mevagissey many years ago now. His hair is bay leaves from a very tiny tree in my former rental.

NiteGard1.jpg

• Simple is sometimes the best Shroom. I really like it. It looks very 'Planet Earth'.

Thank you , I really am not arty but came across acrylic pouring and started watching the videos , theres loads of techniques and you are never sure what effect you will get ,I have done a few on cheap stretched canvas as well :)

• Maggi, Maragold & Shroom thank-you for your contributions. All very different and inspirational. Some very complex and some simpler but equally effective. The Sun, Moon and Gauds are very original pieces of creativity - I've never seen anything quite like them and I applaud you Maragold.

I hope that more members will pluck up courage to share their work on this thread very soon - I'm sure that there's a lot of talent out there. :)

• I'm sure that there are a lot more gifted creators and artists out there than are currently sharing their work - I hope that you will soon start to share lots of pictures for us all to be inspired by. Don't be shy!! Creative pastimes are one of the best remedies for stress and depression - and they are are a true expression of YOU.

In the meantime, I'll try to share a few ideas for making almost cost-free gifts. The pictures in the next post are of earrings made using quilling techniques. It's a really old craft and originated in monasteries. All you need is a metal split pin tool, some strips of coloured paper (you can create your own with a paper shredder) and some white glue to make the various shapes. There are lots of tutorials on YT as well as Pinterest. So, with the addition of some earring hooks you can make some very original pieces. They can additionally be used to create cards, mandalas 3D flowers and of course, shapes that would grace any festive tree. If you do make any jewellery, don't forget to add an extra coat of water+ glue to protect your work and make it waterproof.

• Come on folks - I'm really wanting to see more inspiration from all of you creative types.

Carrying on from the quilled earrings above, I'm sharing a paper quilled night light (better if battery driven) holder using a redundant CD as a base, Some festive decorations and a carousel for my earrings made from rolled newspaper strips and cardboard, then painted with acrylic paints. All three items costing no more than a few pence to make.Candle holder White Beige best.jpg

2 large angels.jpg

Earring carousel 2.jpg

• I've been getting into indigo dyeing this year. My niece is about to become a mum for the first time and has been loudly bewailing the fact that baby clothes seem to come in pink or baby blue or you need to take out a mortgage for something a bit different. So I bought some cheap, standard cotton baby gro's and a cotton receiving blanket and tie dyed them. I've also got some nice multi-coloured knitting yarns, gender neutral of course so I better get off here and go knit.P1010143 (1).JPG

P1010144.JPG

P1010145 (1).JPG

• 101_0017.JPGAs there seems to be nowt but wind whistling thru this thread at the moment, I thought I'd show off my latest makes. My youngest sister is over on a visit from the Land of Oz so I made a few things for her to take back with her and distribute around the family. The Christmas table mats are for her, the advent calendar is for her little grandson and the bags are for her daughter, 2 daughters in law101_0016.JPGukhippy.com/attachment/28179/ukhippy.com/attachment/28179/101_0019.JPG101_0018.JPG101_0019.JPG101_0021.JPG101_0020.JPG101_0022.JPG101_0023.JPG101_0024.JPG101_0026.JPG and 3 grand daughters.

• I am in awe of you clever people. Thank you for posting pictures of your lovely work. I'm afraid I deal more in noise than light, but I hope you don't mind me sharing the mask I decorated for Carnevale di Venzia in 2018 because, for me it was an achievement and I enjoyed making it far more than I anticipated. Much as I love visual art, creating it is not my thing at all. I cheated by starting with a basic white papier maché Columbina mask and glued fabric to cover it, edged it with braiding and decorated it with costume gems and I daresay sequins were involved too eventually. When I'd done that I added the veil that masked the lower part of my face which was made from two layers of fabric, one patterned with a black lace on top. This is the mask I wore with the costume French Whale Fan made for me during the carnival.

fullsizeoutput_bbf.jpeg

Once the official carnevale days are over masking is no longer allowed. However, we went to see our good friends in La Bauta mask and costume shop and booked into one of their workshop sessions. I wanted to have a go at painting a Bauta mask in a traditional pattern. Having not attempted to paint anything decoratively for forty years it was a bit of a challenge, but I'm quite pleased with the result which sits on the boat now. Mine is the one on the left in the picture below.

ukhippy.com/attachment/28191/

We are off to Venice again in February for next year's carnevale. This will be my third, but probably FWF's thirtieth. He has bought the fabrics and started work on the costumes. When I go over in a couple of weeks I start on my new mask. This time our theme will be taken from Fellini films ... I am anticipating some very over the top bishopry!

• Hi Maggi - I'm not smart enough to use the 'quote' facility in replying. so forgive me for that.

Firstly. I am so happy to see some other people's creativity - I was beginning to think that no-one else was into art or crafting. I could share more too, but I'd rather see other people's work, so here's a BIG THANK-YOU from me.

Your patchwork skills make me very envious - I can do a lot of things, but sewing skills are an uphill struggle. I'm sure that your family will really treasure not only the items, but also the personal energy that they convey. I can only imagine that your home is something of a gallery for your creative skills. Please continue to share photos of your makes - we need to make this thread more lively :)

• Hi Marshlander - how lovely to see some of your hidden talents ^^

Your first mask photo is visible to me, but not the second and I don't know why.

Don't diminish your work by saying your mask 'canvas' was pre-formed and purchased - I imagine most artists work in a similar way. it's the unique way you decorated it that counts and knowing that it's the only one like that in the whole world. Plus.... it's beautiful.

It must be quite an experience seeing all of those different masks and costumes in Venice and even a little bit unnerving? Who knows is lurking behind each one?

Please take lots of photos of your new masks and costumes when they are ready, so that we can all enjoy seeing your new themes. Thank-you :)

• If showing the things I make encourages other people BeadyJean, then I'm happy to keep showing them. We used to have so many talented people showing their creations on this group. This was one of my favourite threads in the forum. Sadly most of my own stuff is packed away right now as I house share with my son and his partner so it's a lot of compromise. Hoping to have my own flat soon so I'll be able to let loose my creative instincts.

So come on people. Don't be shy. Show us what you can do!

• I am in awe of you clever people.

My skills are quite bog standard Marshlander. I learned to sew in school when I was nearly 7 so over 60 years ago now. I just never stopped and added other interests along the way. I make loads of mistakes but ''If you can't see it. from a galloping horse, at 300 metres, then it doesn't count'' is the mantra I live by.

• Hi Marshlander - how lovely to see some of your hidden talents ^^

Your first mask photo is visible to me, but not the second and I don't know why ...

Your metalwork isn't showing, Bigbear.

The link takes to a page that says 'nowhere to be found'.

Just like Marshlander's

That's weird, all the photographs seem to be showing up showing up in Safari on my MBP.

Paul, any ideas?