Chinese Wind generators any good?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I’ve got/had two wind turbines/generators. One is a Rutland & the other a larger unit “made in England” Both of these companies supply spares at a reasonable price.

Like the cheap Chinese generators sold in places like Aldi, these cheap Chinese wind turbines are great while they work, but are either designed/built as disposable commodities or are economically un-repairable.

I’ve no experience with modern/copies/cheap Chinese versions of wind turbines. I would think it’s down to the price/quality of main components used in the manufacturing.

Bearings, resistors etc can be replaced at very little cost, should they fail and (if you can get in to the unit)

I personally prefer solar or a combination.

• Yeh sure, they are a good 100 quid cheaper to buy on China’s mainland compared to the UK. I am looking to build a hybrid system for my needs. Solar and wind. 400w wind and 200w solar off grid mobile setup. Solar panels are just as expensive here tho. So buy them back in Blighty. Take a chance whilst here. 👍

• Rutland are about the best domestic made unit and easier to deal with if they fail as theyre in the UK if marginally more expensive . Its just not economic to return faulty items to China. Rutland are the default model used on yacht installations so pretty reliable. I think the 'buy cheap buy twice' mantra applies to a lot of Chinese goods. Having bought three defective chinese inverters im not so keen on repeating the time wasting experience.

I had my Rutland stolen off my trailer. I replaced it with an 300w Italian made vertical axis turbine. Even with solar and wind on a pretty windy hillside i needed a genny for occasional use in winter but far superior start up in low wind to conventional fan turbine.

If i was buying another conventional turbine id buy one from the US, such as from Missouri wind and solar. They know how to make very decent turbines at affordable prices if you can tolerate the import duty.

As it is im more impressed with vertical axis turbines and no intention of going back to a conventional fan type any time soon.

Unless you live in an area with pretty regular wind speeds (20 days a month)of above 12 -15 knots youre better off buying more panels and mouting them so you can adjust their angle for the lower winter sun.

Worth looking on facebook marketplace for solar and wind stuff. Sometimes bargains on there.

Di occhi belli ne è pieno il mondo,ma di occhi che ti guardano con sincerità e amore, c'è ne sono pochi. :hippy:

The post was edited 3 times, last by NomadicRT ().

• Been using Chinese wind turbines (Yangzhou Shenzhou 2KW) for the last12 years. They are good value for money when comparing their cost to other manufacturers, BUT, they tend to be thrown together and need a degree of remanufacturing and modification. As they are not approved by the moneymaking "Powers that be" they cannot be grid connected, and a "stand alone" setup requires understanding and a degree of "invention"

The subject is almost endless and one posting can't begin to cover it, so any questions, feel free to ask.