Welcome Back to UKHippy!

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hi glad you made it back here. How has it been for the pair of you living in your 5ver?

Yeah we're good thanks, +4 years here on the campsite near St Ives now. I've got a couple of weeks off between finishing my summer job and attending a training course to drive some construction plant (big Tonka-toy like dumper trucks) and then I'll need to save up some more dosh towards a vehicle to tour in (5ver is too big) so we're not quite living the dream yet, but we're closer than we've ever been to doing it and another 18 months should do it.

• Hi

I went for a week to Kos to help refugees, one thing led to another I went to Kurdistan and I have been in Bangladesh for nearly a year. Managed to get back for Pilton this year and miss English summers and being able to show my shoulders and knees

• Weird I was just wondering if the place was dormant or there were old posts, then boom its active again, nice to see it back, as a prolific poster, many moons ago the place and the people helped me through some rough times, lifes made me tougher I guess more of an arse, I think people like me but I am always thinking of the clock ticking and customers work, etc, I am running as a self employed plumber, one man band plasterer, roofer, builder, general fixer upper of anything that comes my way, and I get a joy from doing some jobs getting new customers retaining old ones and a hate from doing my old trade of building and roofing but that brings in the money as I can do it without thinking a lot. I really arnt a hippy anymore, I guess in a way ive changed, my house desk is a tip I basicly slave drive myself or have a meltdown and do nothing, its like the ebb and flow of the tide, iam either full on flat out into something wanting to buy all the latest kit or saying sod it iam out, that useually occours around Christmas, so hopefully iam going to go abroad maybe new Zealand for a couple of weeks as a false smile and arse deep in wrapping paper doesn't appeal to me anymore, I picked up courage went to dovedale I cant remember when, and realised I felt at odds with life, I aint a hippie, I aint a tory, I aint sod all I am a one off god knows.

• Back to the old old question,'what is a hippy'.

I think theres a stereotypical image of a hippy created by the media aeons ago but I doubt many (any) of us really are hippys or ever were,not full time or for long.

We are just individuals,bohemians floating on the edge of and within mainstream society. We've adopted mainstream conventions and cultures and its appropriated hippy convention and culture.

We are a reflection of it and it a refection of us. Life and society is a melting pot of alsorts. Hippy doesn't mean anything specific really because it means so many different things to so many different people.

Why do we need to pigeonhole ourselves or belong to a group? We dont. Live life till you cant, thats all there is to it.You dont need a label or belong to any club or adhere to any conventions.

Di occhi belli ne è pieno il mondo,ma di occhi che ti guardano con sincerità e amore, c'è ne sono pochi. :hippy:

The post was edited 1 time, last by NomadicRT ().

• The word means whatever you want it to mean at the time. It can be used in a derogatory or a praiseworthy fashion by different people in different situations, even when it's only based on appearances:

"He never dresses smart; always got old clothes on, a bloody ol' hippy."

"See him over there, that long-haired ol' hippy geezer, he'll help you, mate."

Just two heard locally from personal experience at different times.

But what is underneath is more of an attitude to life. Help where you can, and if you can't help, don't hinder. Not just people, but the planet and the eco-sphere generally. Live and let live as you like, and it harm none.