Where is your SPECIAL place and WHY is it?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• My 'special' place is Caister just outside Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk.

As a baby/pre school Mum and me would spend all summer in a tiny 10 foot trailer there. Dad would come over after his working week. Mum couldn't drive so she would cycle everywhere with a baby seat on her bike. I/we had quite a few local friends there too - I still do.

Whenever I'm there now its like going home and even the locals there think my accent is 'local'.

I miss the sea and sand soooo much but since my girl left home I can find no one willing to breath the wonderful air with me, eat the freshest fish n chips and just enjoy the area that Nelson too loved so much!

The Castle...…………

Caister_03.jpg

Where is YOUR very special place?

• Don't think we have a special place, although my O/H is very fond of the local Pitsford Reservoir when evening is coming on, and all the birds start to settle on the water for the night, usually in inlets sheltered from the wind..... Great to be out in a canoe and see them coming in. Atmospheric, man!

A nice place to walk around too; the standard walk is 7.5 miles, and the 'full' walk, which takes in both halves, (one of of which you have to pay for), is around 17 miles.

We go into Caister for a Lidl shopping when we have a week at Hemsby, which is just up the coast. More chip shops than charity shops, and a nice little town to explore.

• Yes Caister is quite large now. Lidl is built on what was Old Hall caravan park where Mum had a 'van which she let out in summer to make herself a very few pennies, the Hall is now a 'keep fit' place and posh bar/resteraunt. Funnily when AW was little his family would holiday there too...very surreal.

A few houses towards the bakery was a house with an open front door into a tiny, tiny, room which was the village's newsagents. I can smell that room full of newspapers and comics, Dad had to study race form every morning and I would get a comic. I can see the man who ran it too, he always had a plaster over the bridge of his nose...lovely man.

<3Memories<3

• Am a fan of mountains,so here in France I spend a lot of time in the alps,pyranees and the massif central and have favourite places in all of them,but also have favourite spots in fiji,new zealand,california,australia and other places hard to pin down one in particular.

I will have to keep visiting this thread with my special places.

Pic carlit in the pyranees is a great place to sit and feel spiritual,happy and cold at just under 3 thousand meters. Have climbed-walked upto that spot about half a dozen times and will certainly go there again. Top spot xx

Back with more soon :-)

• Western side of the Gower peninsula for me.

It's possible to walk through low cloud atop a sheep shorn bouldery hillock ( that feels mountainous because it dips all the way down to a long flat beach) then walk a narrow boardwalk amongst dunes and dune grass with views onto interesting coves and rock formations and then somewhat terrifyingly shuffle crawl or fall off a mid cliff narrow shelf of a footpath and then walk up what has the effect of being an old tributary or glacial crevice with rocks strewn from field to sand...

It's possible to walk all of that in a day for proper ramblers. It's a two or three day walking affair for me.

It's Jurassic in a very miniature and accessible way and is my favourite place.

• The Gower was one of mine favourite places,since replaced by many others. Llangennith and its awesome beach. Ive not been back in a long while and reluctant to do so as i know -as with so many places i treasured- the magic and memories will be instantly erased. The relentless march of development and modernisation trashes all fragile recollections... Just a bare emptiness left.

Have you been to Paviland Cave? If not,then you should. If you can manage to be there when the ignoramus hoards arent you may get a brief chance to ponder the 33,000+ years the Red Lady (actually male) lay there long before the ice age.

Di occhi belli ne è pieno il mondo,ma di occhi che ti guardano con sincerità e amore, c'è ne sono pochi. :hippy:

The post was edited 1 time, last by NomadicRT ().

• I have a few favourite places,all special for their own unique reasons and poignancy to me.As mentioned above ive since revisited some and the reasons they were special has been instantly and disappointingly erased by change,the things that made the place special have gone,theyve changed beyond recognition,the atmospheric recollections blown into oblivion,the tedium of tourism, modernisation and development mostly responsible.

One place i still am in awe of,still retains its magic almost 40 years since i lived near there is

Luskentyre beach, Isle of Harris on the Outer Hebrides, not a great distance from my home and Callanish stone circle and some of the earliest settlers of these Isles. IF im lucky ill get to return to live there. Its where i instantly realised on arrival there long ago that i truly belonged there and its my home and always will be.

Di occhi belli ne è pieno il mondo,ma di occhi che ti guardano con sincerità e amore, c'è ne sono pochi. :hippy:

The post was edited 1 time, last by NomadicRT ().

• Joni Mitchell expressed the lament and melancholy very well.

I'm not much of a trekker myself and am indeed part of the problem when I go to visit beautiful places (as we all are).

West Gower sticks with me because other than the few existing buildings, pub and single car park and the Holiday park and campsites😉 there is no open or unprotected landscape that can be further developed.

I'm not into exploring anymore. I've seen some awe inspiring and beautiful landscapes at great expense but western Gower topped it for me.

If I have time and energy and need a fix that's where I will go.... Dunroamin and all that.

• i can remember mostly,the trek through the sand dunes to the beach at Llangennith ,the fun of hunting in rock pools around Worms Head and Blue Pool beach and the mass of life there was in them. Starfish and razor shells and many other shells- some I still have -on the massive beach and seemingly unending walk to and from Rhossili

Also watching the eery lighthouse beam cast across the low cloud and the boom of its foghorn.

As a young kid Ive sat on the spring tide high water mark by the dunes edge in winter with my anorak pulled down over my knees and my hood up,the only human on the entire beach and sat listening to the wind and rustle of blowing sand grains and the sea. Long time ago- 55 years ago - but still fresh in my mind...magic happens sometimes. Ive been a few times but not in last 30 years

I think apart from the arrival of surfers and hang gliders its mostly retained its unique charm especially since its a protected area.... So im told.

I was tempted some while ago to move there as theres a small year round campsite there apparently but not yet got there.

I get what you mean by not exploring much. I dont tend to much now, mostly its too expensive fuel wise but i also prefer places i know and can count on to be deserted and i can immerse myself in solitude and the natural world.

I see very few people in life,even that is too much at times. I think its good to have a haven to which to escape.

The Gower is as good as any.

The post was edited 6 times, last by NomadicRT ().

• What a beautiful post... I want to go to all the places!

My current favourite is the King's Barrow, just a short walk from Stonehenge. There's a row of ancient beeches and the air feels all tingly and magic. Yes, that may just be my imagination, but it makes me feel so happy that I don't care!

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• When we go to Hemsby on holiday we love walking that stretch of coast.

There is something basic and primeval about such a big expanse of sky, sea, sand, and weather.

It is like linking up with ancient things that have been all but forgotten. Walking the beaches gives the slightly eerie feeling that all this has happened very very many times before.....

• I asked to have some hypnosis from my long-term therapist regarding life stuff. She asked me to imagine my safe place, my place of beauty where I go, and, um, I couldn't. I don't have one. Kinda ended that session early! Reading your posts I realise I do notice the beauty in any bit of landscape, every time I go out I appreciate sky-scapes and blackberries and Cornish gutter-gardens. I have crept out at night to see meteor showers and the red moon. When I walk into town, I admire the way the humanised surface meshes (or doesn't) with the earth below and sky above, but there is no place in my head I go to or dream about. I have no happy place. Therapist didn't think it was that weird, but I never heard anyone admit they didn't have one. :/