Extinction Rebellion

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• A lot of the people doing these protests seem to be new to it all but they'll get educated along the way and meet genuine people and maybe it'll change their path. I hadn't a clue what was going on when i started doing animal rights stuff when i was a teenager and big part of it in the beginning was the excitement of feeling like a rebel and causing trouble. It was a steep learning curve but it ended up totally changing the direction of my life.

• I personally do feel that the XR people would be better employed directing their actions towards those big companies who are primarily responsible for global warming in one aspect or another, including manufacturing processes which lead to global warming, rather than inconveniencing the general public.

The attention and bad publicity thus gained might go some way towards those companies wishing to be seen in a better light, and therefore taking some steps to reform their operations.

To attempt to change the collective mind of right-wing governments by public demonstrations which mostly inconvenience the general public is largely wishful thinking, as such governments would not bring about legislation to curb anything which affected their capitalist wealth structure.

• It was a steep learning curve but it ended up totally changing the direction of my life.

But how much of this has changed the direction of the animals' lives?

As someone who used to sit in roads, as I've got older I've become convinced that education is more important than agitation -- the rise and current popularity of veganism seems to have been more influenced by the internet than it ever was by all the protests that have ever gone before.

• I personally do feel that the XR people would be better employed directing their actions towards those big companies who are primarily responsible for global warming in one aspect or another, including manufacturing processes which lead to global warming, rather than inconveniencing the general public ...

Damn, I thought that's what I was doing the other fifty weeks of the year. So it IS the large-scale public stunts that make people sit up and take notice after all. :ptype:

• Might as well blurge out my opinion, its a good idea bringing conversation on xr into the media, its been done en mass, but I find the people doing it hypocrites, diesel generators, plastic mats,tents, coffee,tea drunk from all over the globe, mcdonalds, etc, that's a result in deforestation, fkks sake don't hit working people of London go to supermarkets look at there bins I ve lived from them from time to time and well tharts nuts mangos from the other side of the world to end up in landfill, boycott online companies boycott wastefull products and companies, we all buy or are given to much plastic crap, I am not keen on this man but he did "shout down" come up with some opinionated opinions.

• Strategically, any small movement like XR, with limited facilities, has some similarities with a guerilla army.

It has to concentrate its resources - (hopefully non-violently) - on specific targets. It has to assemble quickly, infiltrate or otherwise render helpless the target, stay for long enough to get maximum publicity without being broken up, and then de-assemble and vanish.

Rather than scattered tactics here and there, blocking roads and generally getting up ordinary people's noses by preventing everyday work-life going on. It is imperative in any public rebellion to get the people who see you, the people around you, the general public, on your side, or at least have some agreement and sympathy with what you are doing.

Don't agree? Tell me of those rebellions of any kind, anywhere in the world, anywhere in time, which succeeded without public backing and sympathy.

• But how much of this has changed the direction of the animals' lives?

As someone who used to sit in roads, as I've got older I've become convinced that education is more important than agitation -- the rise and current popularity of veganism seems to have been more influenced by the internet than it ever was by all the protests that have ever gone before.

Yeah 30 years of protests made little difference until Beyonce ate some vegan food...while wearing a fur coat...and suddenly veganism became cool :faint:

I totally agree about education being the way forward but in my opinion it should be hand in hand with non violent direct action, to help alleviate suffering today.

Protests just seem to piss people off and make little difference, apart from raising awareness and keeping an issue in the news. With these XR protests i'm more interested in where they'll lead. With all the celebrities climbing on board maybe saving the planet will soon be cool too, as that appears to be how the world works now.

• Yeah 30 years of protests made little difference until Beyonce ate some vegan food...while wearing a fur coat...and suddenly veganism became cool :faint:

I totally agree about education being the way forward but in my opinion it should be hand in hand with non violent direct action, to help alleviate suffering today.

Protests just seem to piss people off and make little difference, apart from raising awareness and keeping an issue in the news. With these XR protests i'm more interested in where they'll lead. With all the celebrities climbing on board maybe saving the planet will soon be cool too, as that appears to be how the world works now.

Unfortunately I’m finding most people o speak to are losing compassion in their cause because of their actions en masse.

Camping on top of war memorials and double standards is in no way helping people to commend the action they are taking.

I understand that in any extremely large protest there is no effective way to maintain some kind of control (for want of a better word!) but the media will always twist the slightest wrong doing to paint people in a bad light and “organisers” need to be aware of this when promoting protests.

I believe in the cause and have joined in local “sit ins” but when people turn peaceful protests into disruptive, dangerous ones I’m afraid I’m out 😑

• It just stinks of the original hippie movement great intentions and then the media picks up on it and hippie becomes a fashion, I've worked for many old original so called hippies and they are still nice peeps but in general, rich ,land owners with wealthy backgrounds and totally into consumerism .

• It just stinks of the original hippie movement great intentions and then the media picks up on it and hippie becomes a fashion, I've worked for many old original so called hippies and they are still nice peeps but in general, rich ,land owners with wealthy backgrounds and totally into consumerism .

That's because a good few so called hippies / crustys travellers that I met back in the 80s were just rich kids playing around until there inheritance kicked in normally around the age of 30 , and I doubt if that's changed much

• I've expressed my ambivalence about XR in earlier posts - not that my personal opinions mean anything or are of the slightest importance - but I'm always intrigued by the straw-man argument that points out the hypocrisy of the protestors. We are where we are. For each of us that probably means we are somewhere on a journey. The same seems to be the case for organisations, movements (including XR) or whole societies. Our lives in this particular time and place include aspiration, exploitation and the consumption oil-based products among its cultural norms.

Like most people I make changes to the way I live based on internalising new understandings. Like most people, I assume, a measure of personal integrity is important. Sometimes the changes I have made have taken decades to come about. I think it quite possible I shall pursue more changes as new ideas take shape and new methods come into my personal orbit. While I don't see myself as any kind of prophet or missionary, I believe one has some responsibility to share and discuss ideas. I don't want to live exclusively in a bubble of the like-minded. That bubble is simply where I go from time to time for respite, while I gather my thoughts.

To belittle someone or deny them the right to an opinion or to the ability to express that opinion based on the fact they wear a plastic kagoule or own a mobile phone belittles us. We may be on the same road, heading in the same destination, taking a different route, travelling in the opposite direction or ... (add your own metaphor), but simply be at a different stage in the journey. Only the individual can truly answer for themselves and there are undoubtedly times when hypocrisy needs to be called out, but glasshouses and stones, beams and motes come to mind.

I can make less of a case for inconveniencing those who have to work in order to live hand to mouth. Perhaps we are "all in this together", except for when it doesn't suit us? I could point out that a hand-to-mouth existence affects a large number of people and has been created by the same system that brought us to these perilous times and created the massively unfair and increasing gap between the rich and the poor. I could mention that riots in Liverpool or Bristol are often soon ignored (as are increasing numbers of apparently homeless people I talk to in every town I visit) outside those communities, but take the action to where decisions are made (and where the main-stream media live and choose to ignore the issues?) and people tend to take more notice for a little longer. I was campaigning, and standing, in elections for the Ecology/Green Party on similar issues (albeit less well-understood) more than thirty years ago and now we seem to be heading towards the same hell at an even faster rate.

There may be a more effective way of getting people on side, but those kinds of changes take a long time to bed in and, according to my very imperfect understanding of the science, time is not on our side. I have a lot of respect for those of my friends, including some who have given up their jobs altogether, to try and raise awareness through this current spate of campaigning. We would not be discussing this if these actions had not been taking place. I don't really know why I care or why I bother. I've mostly had a very good life and obviously one that has at times contributed to our present predicament. I probably don't have that much time left, but it hurts when I think that my grandchildren could have many years ahead (but may not if the most pessimistic forecasts kick in) and that, already, their future lives will look very different from the one I am experiencing.

• I'm liking the obviousness of Extinction Rebellion being banned directly after targeting the bank of England.

Tis perfect fuel to awaken some somnambulent souls and prod fence sitters into belief.

This is good news that once properly spun and promoted in courts and media will likely effect more change than street protests alone could ever hope to achieve.

• Theyre probably looking for some 'worthless' poor and homeless to sacrifice under the hooves of police horses.

Battles are always fought by the lower ranks. If they get killed you can make glorious martyrs of them.If it goes tits up you can blame them as the unruly rogue element who didnt follow orders.Those in command claim credit or absolve themselves of responsibility,either way they keep their image intact.

• Er ... this puts the above in a slightly different context: