Extinction Rebellion

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Thanks to our total dependency on technology and that services are cut to the bare bones we are far less resilient or capable of surviving major disruptions in the fuel and food supply chain.

Back in the day our food was locally produced and supplied,now it mostly comes from abroad.

The grain we produce goes to animal feed.Virtually nothing we depend on is produced here.Nor is our fuel.

Every essential service we rely on is technology controlled therefore susceptible and vulnerable to disruption.

Everyone seems to think we'll be ok as we have the internet and mobile phones but theyll be the first things to fail or be turned off by government in any civil collapse.

We do indeed live on very thin ice.

• You don't have kids do you Paul?

No I don't -- it's a big responsibility as every child will have their own carbon footprint to consider.

What good is a protest if all the protesters meet up in a flecking play park and have a picnic.

Smash up the Shell Building, break windows, sit inside the offices of the big multinationals, get naked in parliament or whatever -- glue yourself to a pylon for all I care -- but don't attack the ordinary people going about their day.

• Smash up the Shell Building, break windows, sit inside the offices of the big multinationals, get naked in parliament or whatever -- glue yourself to a pylon for all I care -- but don't attack the ordinary people going about their day.

Agree with you. Pissing off ordinary folk trying to get about their lives is a sure way to destroy any sympathy they have for your cause. I think a lot of us have been involved in protests over the years and the only thing that works is getting the gray and beige masses on your side. In my opinion most of the people involved in this protest meant well but they are all returning to their centrally heated homes, driving their Prius that salves their conscience and consuming albeit in a considered way. The ones who face prison will either hire expensive solicitors to assist them to a stiff fine or if they do get a custodial well good luck to them. They'll need it .

Maybe I'm wrong but the reports I've seen and the people I know who went to London aren't hard people they wanted to be a part of a 'happening' and have come back full of tales of how they've saved the planet and what great blokes the police are.

Not quite the Poll tax protest or the Battle of the bean fields.

My hope is that because this wasn't perpetrated by hairy, crustie buggers but by hippie dippie well meaning middle class folk that the government might just wake up and look at making change happen.

I also want my own personal dragon as transport, to end world hunger and to meet a good tory.

A man can dream I suppose

• Paul and Happy fat. The protesters were not making a personal attack towards the working classes. They were merely trying to raise awareness and direct action for a planet that is sadly being ripped apart at the seams.

How inconvenienced are you going to be when the environment and Mother Nature decides to flood large plains of the Southern counties...

The only thing then is it will be too damn late.

Cheers for contributing to the "turn a blind eye mentality " which is helping to fuck things up for our future generations.

The pair of you should go back to your energy saving light bulbs, your separate bin buckets for plastic and your high and mighty vegan verbal diarrhoea "pish" and sit there and say .... you've done your bit.

Jings you are both a big disappointment.

• Paul and Happy fat. The protesters were not making a personal attack towards the working classes. They were merely trying to raise awareness and direct action for a planet that is sadly being ripped apart at the seams.

It may not have been a personal attack, but it was still an attack.

Many of these protesters were not from London; they'd come in solely to cause havoc for those of us who are busy going about our lives. Typically these people do not know how our city operates.

For example, Waterloo Bridge is a major river crossing -- if you're coming from South London it's the most direct route if you want to get to Great Ormond street Hospital.

From East to West the road leading to it is one of the most direct routes to get to St. Thomas's Hospital.

Even on public holidays people rely on these routes to get into work or to visit sick relatives -- because of limited private car access, people have to rely on ambulances, cabs and other public transport.

When roads are unusable, the underground heaves to the point of being dangerous.

As well as patients, their families and NHS staff, cabs and couriers are also used to transport organs and blood between hospitals -- often ready for life saving operations.

The above is one set of examples why the infrastructure of London is fragile. Bearing in mind that the NHS is the UK's largest employer.

Nobody knows how important anyone is -- that person stuck in the traffic could be a nurse or a brain surgeon on their way to save somebody's life. (and that's without even mentioning emergency services)

Or that driver could be on their way to help someone else who cannot help themselves; people often have an important role to play even if they're not on the front line.

Or that person in the private car could be disabled, with no other means of transport available to them.

Cab drivers, plumbers, couriers etc. usually get paid per job with no sick or holiday benefits; it's more than a small "inconvenience" when your livelihood depends on it.

Basically, if you're on the road in London during the day then you probably need to be there -- being able to go into town and tell other people how to live is a luxury many cannot afford.

Also, causing traffic creates more pollution -- an idling engine is more polluting than a moving one. Sure way to go about encouraging support.

Not forgetting that animal agriculture is the leading cause of climate change, ocean dead zones and environmental destruction -- and yet only a small percentage of these people environmentalists are willing to stop consuming animal products. It's all well and good dictating to others, but not when you don't take personal responsibility for your own behaviour.

Finally, there is an epidemic of knife crime in London -- by getting arrested they were wasting resources and risking people's lives.

• The pair of you should go back to your energy saving light bulbs, your separate bin buckets for plastic and your high and mighty vegan verbal diarrhoea "pish" and sit there and say .... you've done your bit.

My home lighting is all LED and, while I do have a car with a 1.6l, engine my main transport is either public or my feet.

Like it or not, animal agriculture is the leading cause of environmental destruction, ocean dead zones, climate change and habitat loss -- please take personal responsibility rather than point the finger.

• and I repeat:

How inconvenienced are you going to be when the environment and Mother Nature decides to flood large plains of the Southern counties...?

The only thing then is it will be too damn late.

• One of the reasons that people from out of town came to London and interfered with things they didn't understand is because that is exactly what Londoners have done in the provinces for decades. London centric policy requires London centric change.

• One of the reasons that people from out of town came to London and interfered with things they didn't understand is because that is exactly what Londoners have done in the provinces for decades. London centric policy requires London centric change.

So target parliament, the corporation buildings, food producers and the high courts instead -- oh, and boycott high polluting countries like India and China.

• Boycott China? How exactly.

Everything we buy is made in China - well almost everything.

They make mosts things down to the lowest cost. They put all other countries out of business because everyone else just can not compete... oh and Thatcher sold all our industries off so we don't make anything of any use here in the UK anymore.

We are doomed really aren't we?

I feel sorry for my son 23 growing up in this shit fest.

• My home lighting is all LED and, while I do have a car with a 1.6l, engine my main transport is either public or my feet.

Like it or not, animal agriculture is the leading cause of environmental destruction, ocean dead zones, climate change and habitat loss -- please take personal responsibility rather than point the finger.

Can't argue with the vegan premise.

Tis very much correct on many levels.

Extinction rebellion is highlighting that governmental action is required.

Government action is globally required to preserve the planet but elitism and profiteering and politicians wanting votes from ostriches won't allow it.

Extinction rebellion highlights that these governors are not fit and does it by playing the simpleton elite at their own game.

Certainly not victimless but quite clever.

• Boycott China? How exactly.

Everything we buy is made in China - well almost everything.

They make mosts things down to the lowest cost. They put all other countries out of business because everyone else just can not compete... oh and Thatcher sold all our industries off so we don't make anything of any use here in the UK anymore.

Unfortunately the emerging economies of China and India are the world's biggest polluters -- and not just marginally either.

A responsible government should stipulate import rules that ensure a level of compliance before allowing their goods to hit our shores.

They've started to make leaps with modern slavery, so we should really start to do the same with this.

• whats wrong with energy saving light bulbs an sorting stuff for recycling i do it when i went to the local tip big sign saying something like 82% is being recycled true we cant stop China India USA polluting but we can do our best in our little corner of the world

• Energy saving light bulbs are a false economy because the old light bulbs that were made lasted a hell of a lot longer then the stupid new ones. So effectively we are putting more in landfill than ever before.

As for your plastic... OMG don't get me started on that one.... too late ( and she's off)

All our plastic is taken to depots across the country, however its not used by big corporate companies because..... they find it cheaper to make new containers and bottles from brand new plastic rather than the costly alternative of separating out all different plastics and recycling them for our packaging.

If only they were recycling all of it but...... I read an article ( I shall have to find that article to keep Paul happy that it has been sourced from a reputable journalist) !! If there is such a thing.

The article went on to explain that all the waste goes to the lowest bidder and then it is shipped out to sea and dumped in our oceans .

Lovely so WE ARE BEING LIED TO AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN.

• One more thing Paul,

I understand why you took a step back from running a sub culture forum like UKHIPPY. ( or at least I think I do)

My guess is you were getting a lot of shit for it....

The powers that be... silenced you by giving you everyday worries more than the average Joe.

This is what they do to people who are vocal about politics or those who associate with others who are vocal.

Ive seen it over and over again.

Scary times we live in...

They have censored the lot of us.

So I guess its just keep our heads down and take the best bits from life where we can get them...

I might start a dairy like Anne Frank.... You never know it might get be a best seller 100 years after my death. LOL

• I've been trying to find info on possible prosecutions/fines/sentencing following the arrest of Extinction Rebellion activists:-

So far it looks like only apx 75 persons of the >1000 arrested in London are facing charges..... It also looks like all of those arrested in Scotland have had charges against them dropped.

The first person pleading guilty in England was issued a financial penalty of £105 (nominal compensation plus costs) and a conditional discharge as far as I can tell.

• I understand why you took a step back from running a sub culture forum like UKHIPPY. ( or at least I think I do)

Yes, but maybe not quite for the reasons you think.

My guess is you were getting a lot of shit for it....

The problem is expressing a personal opinion and keeping that separate from the actual running of the forum - as a result of an argument in one thread over a year ago the entire forum became divided.

In previous times, when forums were the default for social interactions, we would have just ridden it out, but that doesn't work now that Facebook has the monopoly and people aren't so concerned about their privacy.

The powers that be... silenced you by giving you everyday worries more than the average Joe.

This is what they do to people who are vocal about politics or those who associate with others who are vocal.

I do have everyday worries, but I don't think they are linked to anything political or the fault of some kind of conspiracy. I'm not particularly prepared to share about them in a public space -- but running a forum for 12+ years has taken a toll on my mental wellbeing.

That said however, I could bounce this back, but I'm still looking for the right way forward so we can hit the ground running again.

• Yeah me to ...

Im planning to get a bigger van over the next few months.

I have a bedford rascal at the moment but its only and good for kipping in for short festivals.

Ive been invited to two events same weekend, a dance concert put on for charity apparently some big names Ive never heard of lol and I have also been invited to a pstrance gathering this summer solstice, might go, or might be at Dovedale but im a bit worried about Dovedale as everyones met one another there.

Maybe I could do a few hours at each and spend the night at psytrance event Im no sure. Just have to see how money goes this month.

• might be at Dovedale but im a bit worried about Dovedale as everyones met one another there.

Im not really a people person, and tend to keep myself to myself, but i can honestly say that Dovedale was one of the best things i ever did. People are friendly and accepting, and dont pressure you in any way. Maybe they are all as fucked up as i am and thats why it went so well, but there are some great people there - I'd say go!