Money doesn't talk

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Money does talk, try going theough the check out after a food shop and then anounce you have no money, you'll be leaving with no food. I see money as only tokens to exchange for the things one needs, I earn tokens to use to get fed and keep clothed and warm. I can see how living in a city where there is so much waste generated that someone could live for free if they are in a squat or living on the streets and spend all your days scouring bins and skips that are not locked down for food, sod that for an existence. I lived in a squat over a winter once, never been so cold in all my days.

• Great in theory matey & it did work in the past or so i'm told. Trouble is now everybody's caught up in the greedy grabbing society of today, they would always value what you had to trade at less than what they had. Nobody would be happy with it,so maybe standard value tokens (money) is the only way now....

• Was referring to money as standard value tokens, cos that's basically what it is. A tenner is worth fuck all , it's just a bit of paper but the face value of it makes it a standard value token. Reckon I could survive in a cashless system I'd be more than happy to trade goods & skills for other goods & skills. The trick is to realise that weather you are a welder, farmer,accountant or whatever an hour of your time should be the same value as an hour of anyone else's time too, no more, no less....

• Money - as coins or notes - is merely a convenience.

Or at least, that is how it started out. You might have to lug a load of furs about with you if you were a hunter, for example, and needed to barter some of them for other essentials. That would be a bit of a bar steward, wouldn't it?

Or if you were a farmer and took a cartload of stuff to market, imagine bartering all day long with many different people for the things you actually needed, let alone the problem of all those people who wanted your swedes or spuds but could only offer something you didn't want....

• Or if you were a farmer and took a cartload of stuff to market, imagine bartering all day long with many different people for the things you actually needed, let alone the problem of all those people who wanted your swedes or spuds but could only offer something you didn't want....

Farmers will always want work done of some sort and people will always want food, it just needs a fresh look at the situation and a change in attitude

• Reckon you're right there bud. In an ideal world, people's needs & wants would be much simpler than they are now. People in my opinion expect too much out of life in the material sense. If we just concentrated on the essentials, food,warmth, health etc & were prepared to offer whatever we had to spare then it would probably work better.

• Supposing you didn't use money. That money as such didn't exist. Then think of how the alternatives would have to work.

At present I can only think of some kind of points or coupons system, whereby when you gave somebody something, whether it be goods or work, you received so many points in return. These you could 'spend' by exchanging them for other goods or services, with other people.

It would require careful and honest administration at localised centres to work. It could also be administered electronically, if we are still into electronics. Such a system comes quite close to the money system, though.

• We already got a system like that Kieth, it's called money.😇 I think society's come too far forward now to go back to bartering in general. You could maybe make it work in a commune or some such society offshoot, but sooner or later you would have to deal outside the system & resort back to using money.

• Yes, I have heard of such systems used in transition towns, and the like. But only for a limited range of goods and services. And everyone has to agree that an hour of work is paid or valued the same, whoever does it.

Accountants and managerial types wouldn't be very enthusiastic......:)

• This would have to start small e.g.. hippie pulls into organic farm and works for food and somewhere to stay etc why could this Not be slowly rolled out across the country just look at the mess we are in with all consumables and the present system.

• We already have that sort of thing on a small scale, with Woofers, etc. To do it on a larger scale would mean splitting up the huge farms held by businesses and insurance companies and what's left of the landed gentry.....

I wonder if I can get the guys down the Shed to make a guillotine.....?:reddevil:

• Some of the TV programmes about subsistence living in parts of Alaska show limited exchanges of goods and services without money changing hands...

Doesn't look straightforward to me.

And does appear to require a strong sense of community enforcement.

In the UK we don't do it much despite the advantage of an exchange of services between individuals being non taxable.

• Man...sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that He does not enjoy the present; the result being that He does not live in the present or the future;he lives as if he is never going to die,and then he dies having never really lived.

Dalai Lama