Clothing chaos

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• My wellies have just started leaking and I've only had them for 19 yrs !

My old, wd40 soaked boots are still going strong though. I always put a load of self tappers round the sole and heel which I renew every couple of years so the soles are still good and give brilliant traction especially in the winter.

Mind, you can hear me walking along.

• Ha ha does anyone here remember/use Blakies the spiked,metal protectors you stuck into your footwear , do they still exist?

Yep, still use them, or something like them from ebay. Have also made my own cut out of mild steel - don't last as long as Blakies, which were probably cast. The downside is they can hear you coming, but this can be useful in some circumstances; people in front hear you and tend to get out of the way....

• Okay, so Winter is coming along, with cold weather likely, and I don't know about you folks, but my feet can get cold at times, especially in wellies, working in the garden.

I've occasionally bought cheap 'warm' fabric insoles, but they get creased up if they aren't thick enough, and end up either under your heel or down round your toes. Cardboard insoles cut out of scrap can be good, but if it's thin it doesn't insulate enough, and if it's too thick it cramps your feet, which makes walking any distance painful.

I saw one guy on youtube using insoles cut out of a car windscreen reflector foil, which looked pretty good. I guess builder's insulation material - the double-sided foil type, could also be used? I might have some in the loft, so I can give that a try. (If I can find it!).

Another route I saw was to cut out felt insoles and use them. I don't have any felt right now, but I can maybe find an old wool sweater or two that have seen better days, and boil them up until they become felt.

Any of you folks any experience of making your own warm insoles?

• I totally detest wellies but the depth of mud around ive got no choice. Cardboard wears out, custom cushion insoles as you say ruckle up. If youve enough space in the wellies you can use insoles made from carpet,office contract type is usually best.

To be honest ive always found the old tried and trusted marina style usually works best. Long knee length wool socks with the tops turned down over the top of the welly.

Alternatively get some cheap winter/arctic boots,stable yard or derry boots,theyre all waterproof and thermal and around £20

Di occhi belli ne è pieno il mondo,ma di occhi che ti guardano con sincerità e amore, c'è ne sono pochi. :hippy:

The post was edited 1 time, last by NomadicRT ().

• Cheers, guys, I'll give some of those a try. The problem is mostly with wellies, which I don't like much myself, but they are real easy to clean; just a quick swill with the hose pipe and they're done. If I try this with leather boots I generally get some water inside!

Oddly, my warmest leather boots are a £20 pair of walking boots from Aldi. They are nice and flexible - perhaps almost too flexible - and very comfortable to wear. The cleats on the sole are nothing to write home about, and I guess I will be lucky to get a couple of years out of them. But at £20, that can't be bad!

• Nice one, Doc!

Never tried WD40 on boots myself, as I was told by a leather-worker that using a liquid oil on boots made the leather cells swell and grow lax, because the sidewalls of the cells are made much more flexible by oil. Especially so if the oil dried out and the cell walls began to collapse. Not so bad if you keep up the oil treatment pretty regular.

He advised rubbing them well with a mixture of animal fats, which was closest to what they would have gotten in their natural state. They absorb the animal fats into the cellular structure without weakening the cell walls, thus keeping them reasonably stiff as well as waterproofing them. The secret, if any, is to gently warm the fat first, then rub well into the leather, using fingers or, in narrow spaces, an old toothbrush.

I have an old pair of the once-famous Hawkins mountain boots which have done well under this treatment since 1995.... Soles have almost worn smooth over the years, heels have been replaced couple of times, and I still wear them as casual round-the-block and house-boots.

But I imagine using oil on a really stiff pair of boots would certainly make them more flexible and wearable.

• Smell very quickly goes as soon as it dries. How often depends how often you are in very wet conditions. If boots are used every day in ordinary damp then once a week, once a fortnight or so keeps them nice and supple. Really pay attention to where the top meets the sole.

I lived on the west Midland, Shropshire border a long while ago. Where are you in the midlands?

• I'm near Northampton, East Midlands. We have some nice walks a bit North of here, Market Harborough way.

Jeez, you must get through some WD40, spraying every week or two. But it should keep those outer cells fluid and full.

By contrast, I do my boots about once every three months, unless they get a bit dried out after getting very wet on the outside; then it is useful to give them another coat.

While we are on the waterproofing, I have an old Bundeswehr camo jacket that must be at least thirty years old, pre-German unification, and when it eventually came apart at the seams I re-taped it up inside, and waterproofed it with Thompson's Water Seal, (used in the building), and this has made it very waterproof, better than original, if anything. But if it rains heavily, you need waterproof trousers on, as the water just runs off and down to your legs and boots^^...

• On the narrow boats the old fellas always swore not to wear waterproof long coats because of the water dripping on their legs. They reckoned that a few layers with a thick outer long coat was just fine, one drying, one wearing. That's probably why I'm suffering sooooo much with arthritis! lol