Clothing chaos

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I remember as a kid it was my ambition to have my own blue overalls that smelt headily of machine oil like my grandfather's and id know id arrived.

But then jeans were blue and almost indestructible so i migrated to using them for workwear and army wear i had in abundance was equally well used.....i buy the latter stuff for next to nothing now and live in it.

I used to live in jeans once until there was more holes than jeans....until that torn holed jeans look became a fashion and the scary realisation that jeans were the usual 'trendy' gear of Top Gear presenters like Clarkson and i stopped buying them in shame.

• I wouldnt waste my time repairing underwear when theyre available as cheap as they are. Ive never seen the point in thongs,whats wrong with non?

Cotton ones burn well with minimal smoke anyway. I dont want my underwear lying on landfill for decades.

Theres also very good paper underwear.No laundry required.

• I repair things when there's some wear left in them. When the upper part of my white cotton nighties finally dissolved, I made bloomers from the lower end, getting almost two decades out of my initial purchase - however, that quality of fabric is extremely hard to find. The cotton industry never recovered from the crash and bad harvests in 2008-2010. I look for victorian repro nighties made for Past Times, in charities and online. They used a type of percale, tightly woven but thin cotton, that lasts and lasts and can be bleached occasionally (if you don't mind fading the omnipresent embroidery).

I agree about socks, if the bottoms are wearing out there's not much you can do. I had some bamboo-fiber sox that holed after two wearings, an eco-disaster!

Hand-made knitted sox are precious, and totally worth darning. Get you a wooden egg and start stitching, tutorials are on line. I wish I was friends with a sock knitter, I'd ask for sox every birthday and Xmas!

• There's no doubt that ex-military (ex-mil) clothing lasts quite a lot longer than most. I still have several ex-German army shirts left, out of ten I bought for about a quid each in the 1990's.

Worn them for work and jobs about the place for years, in rotation. The cotton is wearing thin and sometimes tearing through age, but they have done extremely well. Looking through them the other day, the oldest was made in 1986, so likely some Jerry wore them before I did.

• Im fairly lucky to have an ex mil warehouse so i can buy clothes and other stuff in bulk very cheap. Like 5 pairs of trousers for 20 squid or 5 pairs shorts for 10 t shirts quid each.. Ive already got a van full of survival and work clothes so i dont need to buy clothes often.

• I have got a pair of jeans (flairs) from the 70's, not much used as I don't find many retro events to go to, and it seems a shame to use 'em for daily wear. I had another pair from a bit earlier, but that pair strangely shrank around the waist, so I couldn't get them on. (C'mon, I couldn't have been 28" around the waist at one time, could I ?)

The O/H :flowerpower: used to have an Afghan coat from about the same period, but one warm summer we took it out the wardrobe and it was alive with maggots:shock: [panic] so we had to get rid of it on the compost!

Discovered a few cravats in the back of the wardrobe the other day, can't remember when I last wore one of those. Probably during the male peacock period of the late 70's, with a nice lace-fronted shirt on an evening out. Mmm, get me! Nice....

• Not from my childhood in the 60s-70s, nothing would fit! I have my mother's tartan scarf from the 50s, several berets, scarves and gloves worn by my auntie in the 80s, 90s stuff includes bias cut dress in a classic print, a black crepe skirt, a beaded dress and long jacket for the once-in-a-blue-moon formal evening. Not a safe thing to admit, but I have a lot of clothes, likely more than the average UKH, because of singing and working in offices with rules. I do sew a lot of my clothes, and mend and alter my charity shop finds.

• I spent the whole of last winter ,without switching on any heating atall ,I found that layering up to be much better ,ladies tights ,under longjohns ,and iv got a pair of Russian army quilted under trousers ,string vests under T shirts then another shirt ,then a jumper ,then a fleece jacket ,warm as toast all winter ,my gas bill was £23 quarter ,

• Head warmer? I often wear a woolly hat indoors about the place.

About this time of year the woolly hats come out and replace the summer caps. I have several woolly hats in varying degrees of warmth; the warmest gets too hot except in the coldest weather. The O/H doesn't feel the cold so much, so only wears her Nepalese headgear when it's really cold.

If the temperature is less than about 60-62 F (16-17C) inside, I put my oldest thinnest woolly hat on, along with another layer.

It rarely goes below 16C inside here, but if it does and we are here for more than a hour or so we put the electric heating on, and on really cold days light a wood and coal open fire - only used at Yule otherwise - which heats the little flat very quickly.

Last winter was very mild, and we only lit the fire once or twice, although we put the heating on from time to time, more so in the evenings. (Electric heating can be very drying, so we counter that by putting damp towels to dry over doors, to release some moisture into the atmosphere).

• great idea with the damp towels ,central heating is the worst ,its such a dry atmosphere ,I find it really unpleasant ,it makes me laugh people putting heating on ,the first little chill that they get ,rather than ,acclimatising to the temperature ,and putting extra layers on iff needs be ,I find that when you blast out the heating in your home ,your creating ,temperature extremes ,from outdoors to indoors ,,so when you go out you notice the cold more ,a freeze off your nads ,,like I said I don't use my heating here ,I layer up .last winter I went to a local pub ,I walked in and heat just hit me ,the heat was so dry and intense ,I grabbed my pint and went and sat outside

• I try not to get wet, or be out too long in wet weather.

Somebody gave us a waxed coat, but that, although quite waterproof for awhile, can get bloody cold in cold weather or sweaty in hot weather when wet.

Waterproofed coats, unless long (think 1950's style!) tend to run the water off onto your cold legs, so best to wear waterproofed bottoms as well. Close-fitting bottoms, although good in cold weather, tend to direct the water into your boots/shoes in wet weather. So standard or wide bottoms are better for carrying the water down clear of your feet.

Gortex and similar garments are okay to start with, but soon wear inside if worn much, and get dirty outside. We have several with worn gortex, so have to spray or paint the outsides with nikwax or similar to make them at all waterproof again, once they are washed. (Just like gortex boots; once the gortex is worn out they have to be waxed to keep out the wet, like any leather boots).

We have a few ancient oilskins too, (The O/H sails a bit) which certainly keep out the rain, but as Boris says, make you all sweaty if you are walking briskly, and cold if you are standing about.

Nowadays, apart from when deliberately out walking all day, few people walk any distance in the rain, so few own any good rainwear. When I was a kid, most working folks didn't have a car, so walking everywhere was the norm, in all weathers, and the length of the raincoats of that period reflected this.

• What clothes does everyone here when walking in the cold n wet without getting all sweaty and peculiar?

Bit awkward when I'm peculiar to start with! I have fluorescent pvc trousers and coat for very, very wet weather. as long as they are worn over fleecy stuff they don't get too sweaty. Otherwise I just wear whatever wet weather gear I can get cheap from TK Max.

I always spray boots with WD40, amazing stuff, never, ever get wet feet.

Read a few months ago that WD sprayed on aching joints helps them not to hurt? Have not dared try it though, any one else been brave or stupid enough to try?

• Like Oldkeith ive tried everything over the last 50+ years especially the new fangled gortex and similar derivatives with mixed results.I have lots of ex military clothing for the simple reason ive worn it in service and its been tested to destruction by thousands of personnel over many years and we know what works and whats fucking useless.

Ive spent my entire life working and playing outside.

I do like Gortex/Thinsulate type clothing its light and works well and most military services use it now but not particularly very long lasting and not totally waterproof over extended time.Ive a few Gortex jackets and i can guarantee after a day in pouring rain ill be as soaked inside as out, not the case with waxed clothes.

In tend to use waxed cotton clothing a lot because despite its weight its totally waterproof if you treat it regularly. You can overcome the unpleasant coldness of the material by wearing wool jumpers and cotton t shirts underneath to counteract the cold and draughts.The more light breathable layers underneath that you wear the less chance of getting sweaty and if you get warm you can remove layers.

PVC clothing is totally waterproof but verybcold,causes huge amounts of condensation internally and water runs straight off it usually straight onto trousers into boots or pockets and in my view totally horrible clothing unless youre wirking at sea.

Ive been lucky enough to spend time with the Saami people in northern Sweden and they know a thing or two about keeping warm and dry in extreme climates and you really cant beat hide and fur for the purpose but if youve an issue with using animal products its not for you,but its designed by evolution to keep animals dry and warm and second to non.

My usual wear in prolonged wet weather is waxed jackets or a drovers coat and Nato wool pullies and cotton t - shirts,wool socks, cotton trousers,waterproof over trousers,beanies, waterproof trappers style hat with turn down collar and ear flaps and good walking boots ie Meindl or Russian winter boots.

Buying wet weather clothes is a bit like buying tyres. They all work but what compounds theyre made of makes a massive difference to their usefulness and everyone has their own preferences.

• I make most of my clothes. I mostly buy bedding from the charity shops to cut up (you can get a lot of fabric from a double duvet) but I do buy remnants from FB destash groups or eBay as well. Sometimes I find cotton curtains with nice patterns if I want something a bit heavier. Anything that's a bit too florally I throw in a dye bath to tone down. I do sometimes buy stuff from fast fashion outlets (mostly t shirts) and contrary to popular belief, it doesn't actually fall apart after the first wash. My winter coat is an army surplus camo that I;ve had for nearly 2 decades and it's still going strong. I love that jacket and when it does finally give up the ghost, I'm planning a Viking funeral for it.