INDIA - anyone ever been?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Nope,sorry,but would imagine that it has not changed too much and would just recommend that she is careful with what she eats and drinks. Always has been fairly cool for a visitor Do not know anything about working there,but would imagine that it would be cool too.

I know that it is a mums job to worry,but it is 99.9 percent chance that she will have a safe and amazing experience :thumbup:

• Never been, but advice from an Indian mate was not to book an hotel near any main road in the cities. Very noisy traffic all night long, difficult to sleep, and quite a culture shock if you haven't been before. (Expect to see chaps pissing anywhere - the women are more circumspect).

• I. was last in India about 5 years ago,i have stayed in Goa which was chilled at the time the dance scene seemed sewn up by Israeli's,may have changed now.

I have stayed in Delhi I love India it's a mental place always crazy shit going on.

I worked with a girl a few years ago who was a dancer on a Bollywood film,she got really sick there through something she had eaten.The film company cared for her very well,she did fly back to the UK on a drip,up to the point of her getting ill she loved it.

The only advice I could give is keep your wits about if it feels iffy it probably is,i had plenty of hassle with Indian hotels and trains because at the time my missus who was with me didn't have a passport,she's from Nepal and Nepali's can travel in India on just their ID card.I can see why the the Indians are like that there is a lot of sex trafficking going on.

Saying that there's lot's of everything going on.:insane::insane:

• Delhi and hideous train journeys and some weeks in Kerala on the beach were all I could stand.

I thought going might help with my personal growth but now guess that my prior travels had filled me full enough of chaos, desperation and extreme poverty.

I had some nice times and some Delhi Belly and some wonderfully fresh seafood and amazing curries plus lots of sun and flat on your back heat.

I preferred what I saw of Nepal but found that equally distressing at times.

(Nearly 15 yrs ago though)

• i had a bloke from india with me for a month when i was working underground [P. J] nice lad very quite wanted him to come an stop with me for a while then me go over there he did not think that a very good idea would have liked to go but dont know now

• It's nearly 20 years since I went. I spent three and a half months there, in Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Himachal Pradesh. The south of the country I found to be relaxed and friendly and beautiful. For example the one day I had the runs, I was "denied" the opportunity to get back to my hotel by a couple of hundred school kids out on field trip - who all wanted to shake my hand and have a conversation with a white person. Wonderful moment.

The more westernised parts of Mumbai were hell on earth if you look foreign - which I very much do. A million people trying to scam me in clever ways, such that I very quickly learned the art of ignoring everybody which was, well, not what I went to India for, frankly.

• As it goes I havent been but over the last few months i have watched quite a lot of travel doics on you tube about it with half a thought to check it out, I seem to be very drawn to aspects of it, the spiritual side and the amazing scenery away from the cities, but and a very big but in my opinion only, I watched the no holds barred back packers rather than the posh expensive side that hides the reality. All I can say is to sum it up and has put me right off, the towns and cities, what a 24/7 extremely noisy filthy stinking shit hole, the filth and rotting shit and rubbish is beyond belief, no wonder folk get sick and ill when they go visit.

The south seems a lot better as its more chilled and not so hot, well I'm far from a saint and wholly believe a bit of dirt and grubby is good for the immune system, it keeps my system healthy as living in a sterile chemically bleached environment is really not good but in India of what I saw on the multitude of vids showing the state of a lot of hostelries, bedrooms and bathrooms, well, I would not put a dog in there, the state of the beds in the films is beyond. There are all levels and you really only get what you poay for, if someones on a budget, you have to be prepared to live in filth, if someones got a few quid saved you can have levels of at least decent. On ione back packer vid, they guy was shown his apartment and the bed and sheets waiting for him, well, they were black with dirt from about 150 previous occupants. so not wishing to put anyone off but it put me off, no way could I cope with the cities, purely for a madness of traffic, pollution and noise, there's barely any oxygen in Delhi.

The link below is to an English guy's you tube chanel who goes as bald and bankrupt, he does the best blog vids of the real India, he's really entertaining and funny, scroll down and look for the Indian ones amongst the Russian ones, he gives a real time view no holds barred of what to expect, not the glossed over travel brochure style, the bus journeys, feckin ell, no way could I spend 8 hours on those crates he travelled in, well worth watching these to get the low down, The conclusion is either folk love it or hate it but you really need to be aware of what to expect for real before going.

https://www.youtube.com/result…h_query=bald+and+bankrupt

• watch out for the police and the many scams but fully recommend

Yep agree about watching out for their police,its not unusual towards the end of the month when there a bit skint to come up with some offence you have supposedly committed to try and screw a few rupees out of you.

I found a lot of people in office or bureaucratic positions are on power trips,can drive you mad if you let it.

One example is trying to purchase a rail ticket at New Delhi railway station,they have a separate place especially for foreigners,they like for you to deal in your own countries currency if you try and pay in rupees you get the third degree if you haven't got proof where you got them from.I tried to pay like this and was sent to speak to the office manager to explain my case,she made me wait then beckoned me over to speak with her while she was tucking into her Indian snacks. I was getting nowhere with her told I will fly less hassle at that she stamped a bit of paper and told me I could buy a ticket.

It can drive you mad if you let it,i have an expression for them bloody Indians which has got me in a few heated discussions .:D:D

• That's good to know they have great chemists ...knowing my Chloe! lol[panic]:shrug:

I was going to joke and say ' ah , so she gets through lots of condoms does she !! ' Then I thought that if she is really young that would be in quite bad taste,so I never said that unless is she is of legal age :eek:

• I was going to joke and say ' ah , so she gets through lots of condoms does she !! ' Then I thought that if she is really young that would be in quite bad taste,so I never said that unless is she is of legal age :eek:

LOL.....nah, condoms are irrelevant in her case and she is 22. Btw, you DID say it!!

She is just accident prone ie head, toes, fingers and ribs as she is a contemporary dancer primarily and gets dropped etc., quite often!

• Did I say it, oops :whistle:

One of my clients and good friend owns and runs a dance school somewhere towards london way and they have been sweeping the board for the last couple of years in the world dance championships. Do not know what they are called,but they are very successful :thumbup:

Just checked google with her name it is "Academy of Dance " I think !!

• Hope they have a great time it takes a while to settle in and get over the Delhi belly which you will surely get, but the chemists are brilliant and the veggie food is the best in the world

I stayed in Goa for a year then moved up to Delhi for 6 months,in all that time I never once suffered with Delhi belly I have eaten in some right dives even the rats would give them a wide birth.:D:D

• One example is trying to purchase a rail ticket at New Delhi railway station,they have a separate place especially for foreigners,they like for you to deal in your own countries currency if you try and pay in rupees you get the third degree if you haven't got proof where you got them from.I tried to pay like this and was sent to speak to the office manager to explain my case,she made me wait then beckoned me over to speak with her while she was tucking into her Indian snacks. I was getting nowhere with her told I will fly less hassle at that she stamped a bit of paper and told me I could buy a ticket.

It can drive you mad if you let it,i have an expression for them bloody Indians which has got me in a few heated discussions .:D:D

I found that getting money changed at the bank was a very slow process. One bank, I talked to the receptionist, waited for 20 minutes, had tea with the bank manager, did some paperwork with an office administrator, waited a bit longer, then finally got to the teller where they simply did the transaction. Whole process was nearly two hours. It was fun, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone in a hurry.

• I've been trying to think of last minute essentials I should get her such as a filtered water bottle, tummy stuff and insect repellent.

Have I missed anything guys?:shrug:

You are better off getting stuff when you get to India it's just as good and only pennies, as for water I would advise to only drink bottled water and only bought from shops not street venders who have been known to fill bottles with dodgy tap water and reseal the bottle top with a lighter, stick to shop bought bottles and she will be fine ,they are very cheap too

• I've been trying to think of last minute essentials I should get her such as a filtered water bottle, tummy stuff and insect repellent.

Have I missed anything guys?:shrug:

Personally myself when I go to India I go fairly light with luggage,i buy what I need there,i like those Jockey boxers and vests so I buy them all there,they also sell lovely toothpaste and shampoo it's all really cheap.i occasionally suffer with prickly heat they sell this powder that clears it instantly.The weather changes depending on the time you go,i stayed in Delhi with frost on the ground the hotel was bloody freezing another time it's red hot and doing anything has you sweating like hell,i buy clothes there according to the weather all very very cheap.I have used doctors and dentists there again very inexpensive.

My late brothers missus wanted a Beverley hills smile she had her gnashers sorted there certainly a lot cheaper than here if you like that type of thing.