Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• True yes but you are under no obligation to buy anything with britstops,call me a tight arse but I rarely do and have had no complaints , other park ups on the britstop list are also security checked so no sticker/book and you are clamped baby

• Dont get me wrong,i think Britstops was/is a good idea but many of these things start out with good ethos and intentions and often end up becoming an arm twisting money making gravy train. 'cough up and be a member or face the wrath of the establishment '.

At the end of the day ' membership' of anything is protectionist and exploitative and elitist,it ensures members receive preferential treatment (on condition they pay richly for it) at the expense of others who dont.If you want to enjoy similar benefits youre forced to join/pay up or fuck off.

Its this insidious tactic thats applied by 'club' camping/motorhome/caravan sites thats allowed them to be selective(descriminate) against who use them (especially to discourage lower income users) and milk the users extortionately for every penny and is why they get away with charging 20 to 100 quid a night to stay.

There are far better sites in Europe you can stay all year if required without much condition and better facilities for a little over a 1000 euros but here anyone who enjoys mobile leisure is robbed blind for just a moderate stay.

The scheme to allow folks to park on pubs was initially a mutual benefit arrangement where parking was afforded to users on a car park that otherwise would have remained empty all night and in exchange the pub establishment benefitted from extra income....its now passing into exploitative practice.

The pub near me charges for staying and now opened its own camp site but its also taken to charging unwitting people who park on a small layby on a public road opposite the pub that they do not even own.

Sadly, people will abuse all schemes set up in good faith.

Di occhi belli ne è pieno il mondo,ma di occhi che ti guardano con sincerità e amore, c'è ne sono pochi. :hippy:

The post was edited 1 time, last by NomadicRT ().

• Surely buying drinks and a meal (or two if traveling as a couple) would be more expensive than a campsite, never mind a book you can keep using for a year?

I would probably buy a beer as a Britstop customer, as it would be cheaper than driving around looking for a park up if you didn't have one, but there are some other apps/fb groups that can get you a park up with a little forward planning.

Not got the book myself, but we're not yet travelling. We will get one before we're off though, as it's handy to have as an option ... not that I wouldn't ask at a pub if they wer'nt in the book, as I say, it's all about options aye.

• Surely buying drinks and a meal (or two if traveling as a couple) would be more expensive than a campsite, never mind a book you can keep using for a year?

Exactly this. If i was going to pay to stay somewhere then i could buy my beer and food at aldis and pay for a campsite for less than pub prices.

You can only accomplish your object in life by complete disregard of the opinions of other people.

• Thry have some archaic restrictions on parking. Staying just outside the car park however would be the way to go!

Ooooh.. Ive no Aldi anywhere near me so ive no idea what their parking policy is. Other supermarkets are a bit more flexibule so long as you piss off before opening.

Di occhi belli ne è pieno il mondo,ma di occhi che ti guardano con sincerità e amore, c'è ne sono pochi. :hippy:

• In best part of a decade and a half living full time on the road I have never once paid a penny either to park up whether for a night or for a month, nor for information about places to park up in, nor for goods or services at a place where I parked up. In fact there aren't many places I have ever parked up where anything commercial like pub, commercial camp site or restaurant was anywhere nearby, i'm usually half way between the middle of nowhere and the back of beyond, only visiting civilisation to dump rubbish, collect water and do shopping.

• Anyway if I encounter any bread head publicans etc on my Britstops odyssey you people will be the first to hear about it, followed quickly by a demand to Britstops for my fee to be returned, watch this space hippies.