Rusting in a field

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Reckon it's only a problem if you're long term static. Regular movement seems to make the problem less of an issue. Don't usually have motors long enough fo it to be a problem myself but gonna get the bus undersealed when it's done.

• yes there is some truthe in that as i found out a few years ago with my pug ..ive owned it 20 years now .. transits seem to rust faster and also renault tragics are bad but that seems to be the case with modern vehicles being made of thinner steel ,,my friends toyota pick up 2003 broke in half last year shit thats a shock insint it:eek:

• As somebody who worked in the auto trade I can say that yes, it's quite right your underside will rust if you regularly park on grass. The longer you are in one grassy place, the worse it can get. Moving the vehicle by driving for an hour or more dries out the underside by exhaust heat and wind evaporation, providing the weather is dry.

When parked up on grass, or any other surface that holds moisture for any length of time, unless it's very windy a small micro-climate forms under the vehicle. The water evaporates off the grass or wet surface below, then condenses onto the cold steel above it, and hangs there. If it has access to the actual steel surface an electrolytic cycle is completed, and the metal surface starts to pit with rust.

A really thick coat of good-quality underseal, or something like a regular coat of waxoyl, prevents the electrolysis taking place, until the waxoyl wears thin with road grit abrasion, or the underseal drops off. So keep a keen eye on your underside, and seal or oil it regularly; welding is darned expensive today, and a great pain to do yourself even if you have the kit, especially when it has to be done outdoors! (Been there, done all that!).

• My old truck became a static home out on a drove in the middle of the moors near the village of stoke st gregory in somerset. I found jobs in the village and was well liked by most of the villagers so got quite comfy as had an amazingly beautiful park up about half a mile out from the village.

Anyhow when one day I sold the truck as I was going to the south pacific for a year and the brakes had completely locked up with rust from being parked on grass for a few years and not moving the vehicle at all. I ended up getting the local farmer and his helper to tow me out and the wheels dragged for over a mile,which amazed me that they did not pop,it was all a bit smelly. Eventually they free'd up.

It was a bit of village history me getting towed backwards for a couple of miles out of the village after being around there for the best part of seven years ( few years in a yurt ) and there were villagers walking,riding bikes and horses accompanying the lorry out to the other side of the village to where the truck was going.

Anyhow - yes as Keith rightfully says - parking on grass not good !!

Marginally better though than driving on grass :whistle:

• It still makes me smile today when I think of that procession of at least 20 people going through the village,it was a very festive vibe. :-)

It really was a good spot though as apart from the vilage half a mile behind me,there was nothing for about 2-3 miles in front of the park up with great views across the moors and then both left and right had four miles in each direction of moorland.

We had some fun out on them moors,that I can tell you :insane::insane::insane::insane::insane:

• It still makes me smile today when I think of that procession of at least 20 people going through the village,it was a very festive vibe. :-)

It really was a good spot though as apart from the vilage half a mile behind me,there was nothing for about 2-3 miles in front of the park up with great views across the moors and then both left and right had four miles in each direction of moorland.

We had some fun out on them moors,that I can tell you :insane::insane::insane::insane::insane:

What sort of fun did you have on the moors? Please tells us more!!:baa::baa::baa::baa::baa:

• Ha ha , no sheepies out there,but plenty of fictional beasts to make friends with.

Lets say it is where I really learnt about the universe and spirituality with the odd hint of psychadelia :insane: