Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• https://blog.motoringassist.co…led-lighting-car-legally/

1. New cars are fitted with LED lamps, why can I not install LED bulbs in my car’s lights to improve the looks and illumination?

New cars are fitted with LED lamps, which have been tested and pass Whole Vehicle Type Approval. Under British Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations, LEDs are not mentioned, because they were not invented, when the legislation was penned in 1989, meaning that they are not permitted at all. However, new cars fitted with LED lights are allowed to be used in the UK, because the lamps pass European / UNECE technical standards (although some of these latest LED lamps seem more dazzling to me than ever before).

Nonetheless, the ‘bulbs’ on those newer cars thus equipped, at the time of writing, cannot be renewed. If an LED module fails, the whole lamp has to be replaced.

Not only do conversion bulbs fail to comply with the aforementioned European technical standards but also fitting them ensures that your lamp will not perform as designed and will prejudice the Whole Vehicle Type Approval of your vehicle.

You can fit it but as far as I'm aware it won't be legal. Looked at it a few years back and having been dazzled by a few twats with LED lights I'm not really a fan now especially those daytime running lights which hurt your eyes.

Also found that with one behind it makes my lights appear non existant on unlit roads.

Then there's those clever cunts who fit blue ones or any blue light on a non emer vehicle. Pulled over a couple of times when they've been up my tailpipe and it's been just some nonce.