Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I was driving all day yesterday and when I finally parked up in the evening and turned on radio 4 to get the cricket,it was not on as England hurried up proceedings. I shall hopefully be able to pick up the station here in Burgundy on sunday to listen to the final.

I am not a huge fan of cricket,but I very much enjoy have the tms ( test match special ) team as company for the day. I enjoy their levels of intelligence and humour and they make the game sound more interesting with lots of stats.

I aso enjoyed a few games of the womens world cup football and normally I dislike football !!

• Indeed I always loved the way that they wound up geoffrey in their own tongue in cheek way,very amusing.

I have got a lovely park up on a hill in a huge beech forest here in Burgundy where I have got a good radio 4 reception so shall today mostly be enjoting the tms crew and hoping England win the World cup final.

Please do not tell anyone in Wales that I am saying this,but COME ON ENGLAND :reddevil:

• I have never been into cricket at all , my friend that was died 18 months ago (he used to retune my radio at festivals etc to get the cricket coverage,sometimes overnight ) , so I kinda watched it out od defference to him ,thought I would give it a go about 10.30 this morning and been glued to it !!

As tense and exciting as the final few seconds of the 6 nations or rugby world cup for sure but I am more than slightly sad that my friend never got to see it,maybe spark up the fire pit later to celebrate as he loved fire as much as he did watching or listening to bat 'n ball :)

• Wow,wow and thrice wow , That has got to be the sports climax of all sports climax's and in a world cup final to boot. incredable.

The last half hour to hour I had to stand up to deal with the excitement of it,that was sports entertainment at its best.

The deflection off the bat to go for four when diving for the crease was a stroke of luck however,but an amazing thing to listen to.

I have just copied the highlights off youtube and look forward to watching them later.

Huge congratulations to England for getting the world cup win,and condolences and congratulations to NZ for their performance. I honestly expected them to win after that superb bowling effort.

Next event for me now will be the alleged friendly pre world cup rugby game being hosted at twickenham when England take on the 2nd best team in the world WALES :-)

• Cricket is simples ...

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game.

Ruby can be more confusing as there is either League or Union ...............

• It all makes sense to me now :insane:

As for rugby, there is not a hope in hell that I can describe it half as clearly as shroom perfectly clarified what cricket is about.

A bunch of decent chaps with odd shaped balls who beat hell out of each other then buy each other a pint is a short version of what the great game of rugby is about !!

seriously,if I was to go into the rules of rugger,you would find that Shrooms cricket sum up was very easy to follow :-)

• England all out for 85 in that first session Lika,who would of imagined that after some of the great cricket in the world cup !!

Not got a good enough radio signal where I am working so have not been able to listen to it,but certainly sounds like the Irish bowlers performed well !! well done Ireland,though would in all honesty expect England to still win the test.

• I shall hopefully be finished on this section of my job tomorrow afternoon and shall be back in an area with radion 4 reception for the rest of the test.

I always look forward to enjoying their banter.

Thanks for the score update :-)

• Now sat in the van with a nice breeze blowing through and the TMS team are entertaining me on the radio.

Some good bowling from England and now looking more like a win for them !!

Loved hearing tuffers making the noise that he thinks you hear when a cricket ball hits you on the helmet :-)

• Yes Enable and Frankie have a very special understanding of each other going on, I've never seen him THAT emotional before a race.

My Mum started following Frankie when he was an apprentice with Luca Cumani, mid 80's.

I bumped into him once in Waitrose in Newmarket. He was with his then small son pushing a trolley around.

My friends live in Stetchworth just outside Newmarket and on the day he had all 7 wins he went round people in the village inviting them to the pub and bought champagne all round!

Goodwood Festival this week, I don't bet but instead try the ITV7 as its free to enter and you COULD win 50k...lol

ENJOY.