SOMTHING LEARNED IN VAN

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Yes theyve always got trekking sticks and bright cagoules, framed rucksacks (remember those)wooly socks up to their knees and an expedition leader with THE map and compass. All the men at the front and the ladies at the back.....

Di occhi belli ne è pieno il mondo,ma di occhi che ti guardano con sincerità e amore, c'è ne sono pochi. :hippy:

• Yes theyve always got trekking sticks and bright cagoules, framed rucksacks (remember those)wooly socks up to their knees and an expedition leader with THE map and compass. All the men at the front and the ladies at the back.....

I'm not sure wolly socks are useful in cold, damp and wet conditions, I have not seen a framed rucksack since I was young.

• Theyre all perfect for trekking across the badlands of Warwickshire though.Ive seem them a few times negotiating the steep treacherous slopes of the bypass footpath into town and the arduous canal towpath trail a few times.

Di occhi belli ne è pieno il mondo,ma di occhi che ti guardano con sincerità e amore, c'è ne sono pochi. :hippy:

• I went with them once when i was in my thirties,imvited because of my bushcraft skills.it was like Conservative party day out. I dont like walking with folks much as theyre just an annoying distraction so Ramblers assoc has nothing to offer me.

• Back to vans,its worth having a small porch awning if youre planning on stopping anywhere a few days in wet weather. Keeps the cold wet out and the warm dry in and somewhere to hang wet clothes

Also always carry clean bottled drinking water. PITA hunting for it in the dark and comes in useful if you develop a leaky radiator.

• Back to vans,its worth having a small porch awning if youre planning on stopping anywhere a few days in wet weather. Keeps the cold wet out and the warm dry in and somewhere to hang wet clothes

Also always carry clean bottled drinking water. PITA hunting for it in the dark and comes in useful if you develop a leaky radiator.

Stocked up with bottled water now since the weather turned cold,got a 70litre fresh water tank but don't want to fill it in case it freezes & takes my pump out so bottles now till the log burners in at least. 17p for a 2litre bottle at Asda so it won't break the bank....

• I do not know much about vans, how does it work with toilets, do people have chemical ones.

If mobile then separating piss into containers other than the chemical toilet is less bother to dispose of.

I prefer a chemical toilet for my suburban needs but need a public toilet to pour the minging slurry down.

Green chemicals don't work for more than 2 or 3 days so formaldehyde might be preferred.

Personally I've about 25 litres worth of separate containers for pee that I treat with thin bleach (to neutralise the odour) and empty into rain drains.

• Leave the porridge pan or other cooking pan full of water overnight,stir and empty you can wipe off the porridge that remains with a kitchen towel. No scourers required. Put butter in the porridge its less likely to stick. Use a very well seasoned cast iron pot it generally wont stick at all.

• I do same...the chemical toilet is primarily for solids. Waste water containersfor everything else including washing up water....or a walk out in the field.

I dont use chemical toilet fluids.The main ones contain formaldehyde and the eco ones are expensive and pointless and ineffective.

Ive had pretty reasonable success with bio washing powder or scoop of oxyclean in the tank . It all keeps odour free. Neither products are supposed to be environmentally damaging.

When i was travelling about more i tended to avoid lay-bys like the plague. As a truck driver parked up on compulsory breaks in lay-bys, the number of times ive seen drivers empty chemical toliets, gallon containers of piss or get out and just curl out a shit on the side of the road or hang a carrier bag of shit or condoms in the hedge,I think they must be about the most unhealthy places to parkup.

The post was edited 1 time, last by NomadicRT ().

• You did say leave outside for foxes or passing dog to lick clean so how does that work with your ocd?

I dont like dirty crocks lying about either but i also hate spending ages scrubbing manky pots.

The post was edited 1 time, last by NomadicRT ().

• You guys burn your porridge regular? Trying stirring it a little.

We have porridge or porridge with something else most every morning, and rarely ever does it burn. As for cleaning up, well, after scraping the pan like all waste-not want-not eco people, there isn't much left to stick. As RT said, just fill it with water and leave an hour or two, and anything left just slides off.

• I've stuck with formaldehyde for the chemical toilet because it works when regularly topped up for very long periods between emptyings.

I toyed with trying laundry detergent but read that whilst it does as good and maybe better than green chem it does not perform well beyond a few days.

• Aluminium pans, aluminum to those over the pond, used to stick food and burn easy, for those of you folks too young to remember them.

The insides used to get pitted, and you wondered where the aluminium had gone...inside your guts attached to food, most likely, as the molecules lift easy with strong heat, and move into whatever they are in contact with. Okay for airplanes, not so good for cooking in.

• You guys burn your porridge regular? Trying stirring it a little.

We have porridge or porridge with something else most every morning, and rarely ever does it burn.

I don't cook my porridge any more. I just mix a bit of plant based milk with hot water and pour it over the oats then leave it for five minutes. Once i mix in some nuts, seeds and fruit it tastes dead on.

• We use stainless steel thick-bottomed pan, soak the oats overnight in water, and cook next day. (Soaking the oats isn't necessary, but makes for a softer porridge). We sometimes mix bulgar in with oats, and sometimes muesli.

In summer we just soak and eat raw. Sometimes we stick a large spoonful of yogurt on top, sometimes stir in a little milk while still cooking. Often have a few blueberries (from local market) on top when in season, or home-grown strawberries in summer. In the depths of winter, or on fruitless days, a teaspoon of honey or home-made jam livens it up a treat.

• They all sound enjoyable oldKieth, it’s amazingly endless the variations of recipes we can all contribute to with just a simple pan of oats. Like the endless flavour range now found in ice cream comes. When we were kids it was raspberry ripple, vanilla or two flakes and dribble sauce.

I was told to rinse any pan with water before putting milk directly in to the pan to heat up. Reduces sticking?
    Milk is also a sneaky cooking ingredient, unlike a whistling kettle. Turn our back on a boiling pan of milk and eruptions all round. Try get the the local dogs to clean that pan by the next morning.

I often wish I could go back in time and put strawberries in cornflakes or orange chocolate/toffee toppings on a digestive biscuits. How I could have influenced the product development of our British shopping basket, if I had realised folk would not only buy it but enjoy it. I was brought up on jammie dodgers or industrial bags of broken biscuits :D

Some of the concoctions of porridge I’ve knocked up in the last few years. :) Only to think how well it should sell at that festival.

I like tree juice ‘maple syrup’ Honey or chocolate in my porridge and Im warming to warmed fresh raspberries in there now too.
    strawberries still taste like they have travelled from Spain or grown for looks and not taste these days. Has kids working summer school holidays for pocket money on fruit farms, showed me Strawberries can taste so much better than shop bought these days. :whistle: