van electrics

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• ldv convoy with a taco about 6 weeks ago battery started going flat over about 10 days charged battery up took leads off after 6 days no loss of charge put leads back on went from 12.53 to 12.13 in 5 days no lights on in van now the red light on the taco was on and im sure you could hear the motor running that turns the disc should this be running with engine switch off any ideas please you good people?(

• Quite possibly. Disconnect the positive lead from the battery. Put a meter set to amps, red cable to the battery black to the positive lead and see what current is being drawn.

Then disconnect the tacho, if the current drops to next to nothing then thats your problem. If not pull a fuse a time to narrow down what circuit it is.

You can only accomplish your object in life by complete disregard of the opinions of other people.

• If youve got a radio with a standby facility,vehicle alarm /immobiliser it will run down the battery

As Compo suggested disconnect the tacho if youre not using it commercially.

Disconnect any standby/clock feed wires to radio or pull the fuses when youre not using the van.

Di occhi belli ne è pieno il mondo,ma di occhi che ti guardano con sincerità e amore, c'è ne sono pochi. :hippy:

• If youve got a radio with a standby facility,vehicle alarm /immobiliser it will run down the battery

As Compo suggested disconnect the tacho if youre not using it commercially.

Disconnect any standby/clock feed wires to radio or pull the fuses when youre not using the van.

Yep, thats what I do with my head unit, i put a spade connector in the live feed to disconnect the power to the unit when niot in use as it will drasin the battery quicker than the tacho, I havet bothered with dosconnecting the tacho as use the van a few days a week, the head unit will drain it out within 3 days if left hooked up to power.

• well found trouble with tacho blown fuse caused by a faulty intierer light on same circuit think i have found why battery going flat think its a lead off battery was told this had a switch in it that stops flow of power when engine turned off so ok to use van now will post more when i get to trace the lead off the battery

• well a bit of an update last week went back to have my battery checked again bloke got the meter out an told me your battery no good was told couple of mouths ago it was ok then started to explain what was happening well new one fitted so we shall see

• I always take earth clamp off if not using my van for a while in winter just to disconnect thetacho as thta will knock the starting oomph out of the battery after a week and a half, I've got a breaker switch but havent had the chance to install it yet.

• well a bit of an update last week went back to have my battery checked again bloke got the meter out an told me your battery no good was told couple of mouths ago it was ok then started to explain what was happening well new one fitted so we shall see

The best way to test a battery is a drop test, volt meters are indicative but does not detect a weak or failing cell like a drop test with one of those bits of kit that I dont know what its called.

• We had a problem on a relative's 1998 Polo for years - every three years it had to have a new battery, after constantly going flat in the wintertime on all except the first year. (Winter temperatures drop the voltage and power of all car batteries anyway, so this problem was more likely to occur in Winter).

Tests showed a small amount of current constantly charging up, then leveling out at a very low rate, then rising again a little later. Obviously something like a capacitor charging up, gradually discharging, then recharging.

Working (very spasmodically over the years!) through different parts of the electrical system, we eventually completely cut off the radio, which appeared to be taking current even when off, probably due to being connected to the security side of the ECU. This was not on a fused circuit, because we could take every fuse out of both boxes, and still observe the discharges. Once the radio was completely cut, the discharge stopped, with only the tiny amount used by the system still evident. (We are talking a very few milliamps here).

The car hasn't been a problem in the coldest weather, and so far as I know, the bloody radio hasn't been used since!

• In my previous van I used to have one of those sit on the dash solar panels that just put a trickle charge into the battery when not using the van and never had any problems with a dead battery.

With the Ldv,on a cold winters morning I will put the embers from my fire in a tin tray and put it under the sump for half an hour or so,before firing the ignition and this also makes a huge difference on start up.

Do not do the ember thing however if you have got a petrol engine !!!!