Camping with a tent

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I do own a 5m belltent, (belltent UK) complete with wood burning stove for it. It’s handy to use for camping when there’s more than a few in the party. I bought the inner tent for the same. It give two separate bedroom compartments and takes up exactly half the floor area.

I have two tipi tents. And woodburners for both. The Tipi tent also allows for a open fire to be placed inside the centre which is a unique feature. I’ve used all of these on campsites. I’ve got three army folding beds that fit inside making long term camping viable with the woodburner central in the tipi.

I own a Aussie swag tent (one person) it’s fully waterproof and reall is a bivy tent no bigger than a full-size sleeping bag with head covered. Night at head end is 24inches. Ideal for dossing down outside any vehicle or stealth in hedgerows or woodlands. I have a couple of pop up tents, some better than others.

My latest acquisition is a one man British made lightweight tent, must be 30 years old. I’ve not tried that out yet.

• Tarp only. Most adaptable having used it whilst sleeping under a canoe, my bike and just tied to a tree. Did have a bivvy bag but my lad lost it.

Got a new SF hooped bivvy but have never used it as I was only keeping it to flog on at some point.

• Got the good old favourite one man 'tigerpaws'.

Had it for years, alas haven't used it for years either.

Small, light, sturdy and roomy double skinned do it all tent.

If you can find one or get offered one, buy it.

It's no use shouting about who's to blame, when all that counts is how to change...

• :boing:Oh yes, in my 'younger days' before I had Chloe a tent went EVERYWHERE south of Cambridge. Anything from our Shudy Bike Show days - one morning me, my ex and new buba were woke by a BIG german biker who recognised my little 2 person ridge tent from the year before and was shouting ''hey Mandy' at early o'clock with a flagon of cider in his hand , (but that's another story, lol) - to coastal breaks anywhere from Hunstanton, on the Wash, following the coastal line right the way round to Mevagissey.

• wow paul heres a weird thing I remember seing a bloke camping there abput that time I thought wow how cool is that, he was camped up either at cod tarn or stickle tarn I cant remember, its more common nowadays wanted to do that myself not so bothered nowadays, I prefer campsites that are remote then better ones with nice warm showers/facilities as I am getting soft nowadays.

• Gotta Quechua 2 man tent, stick on Violet the Vespaclone. Been used all over the place from Snowdon at the Dragon Rally to various festivals for yrs now. Tends to get loaned out to Kay who works with me at events as I have gone posh and bought a bargain in Lampyland from the hardware shops vile pile. twas reduced to £20 and its a 4 man one. Be like a palace and it held out in torrential rain so used that last year. The Quechua is deff better quality and it only cost me £20 off ebay with a free sleeping bag of Fleabay. Its funny like Wizz was saying never liked tents as always had vans but aint got the finance over the last few years to justify van and car so tent it be. Anyhow now I back on two wheels of throbbing 150cc power tent is fine.

• Our old tent, a Lichfield Paladin, was given to us by some friends. It is about 20 -24 years old I think, but has not been used much. It is supposed to be a 4-person tent, but is comfortably big enough for two with the usual baggage.

We tend to give it a coat of proofing every year or two, but it has always withstood heavy weather.Tent 1.jpg

We only camp in Summer nowadays...

• I bought a Wild Country tent about 15 years ago, which has since been used (as well as some festivals) in the Lakes, the Scottish Highlands, various parts of Southern California and Yellowstone National Park.

I spent a long time choosing it - it is exceptionally waterproof, and has a porch big enough to cook on a stove under. It's also very light and goes up in under ten minutes.

• I have three tents :)

I like to camp in lots of different places. Festivals are cool but I also like a rural breather too, I love Shell Island in Wales because of it's informal natural camping, it's stunning sand dunes, and you get a bit of both there due to the party area in the middle.

I have x 2 Quechua 2 man tents for the kids, and my tent is a Vango Arc 3 man, it's fab and borrowed lots by the family. I don't camp in tents any more really, I got addicted to campervans a couple of years ago.

• Gotta Quechua 2 man tent, stick on Violet the Vespaclone. Been used all over the place from Snowdon at the Dragon Rally to various festivals for yrs now. Tends to get loaned out to Kay who works with me at events as I have gone posh and bought a bargain in Lampyland from the hardware shops vile pile. twas reduced to £20 and its a 4 man one. Be like a palace and it held out in torrential rain so used that last year. The Quechua is deff better quality and it only cost me £20 off ebay with a free sleeping bag of Fleabay. Its funny like Wizz was saying never liked tents as always had vans but aint got the finance over the last few years to justify van and car so tent it be. Anyhow now I back on two wheels of throbbing 150cc power tent is fine.

I bought two of those for my kids, absolutely outstanding for the price, I'm very very happy with them!

• I have three tents :)

I like to camp in lots of different places. Festivals are cool but I also like a rural breather too, I love Shell Island in Wales because of it's informal natural camping, it's stunning sand dunes, and you get a bit of both there due to the party area in the middle.

I have x 2 Quechua 2 man tents for the kids, and my tent is a Vango Arc 3 man, it's fab and borrowed lots by the family. I don't camp in tents any more really, I got addicted to campervans a couple of years ago.

I used to be off on the bike every weekend as a younger man. Tent & army dossbag over the rear seat & away you go. Woke up most mornings somewhere between the beer tent & my bike! Can't cope with it anymore, if I get on the ground now I can't get back up😣 Getting old & stiff is just a fuckin crock.....

• I did a lot of tent camping/backpacking roughly 25 yrs ago...it enabled me to travel a bit more than I would otherwise have afforded....It was quite uncomfortable and either too hot or too cold.....

Tent camping with a vehicle and hook up can be entirely different but does require quite a large financial outlay in order to achieve comfort.

• ive got 4 tents:

A large 6 man triangular affair which was for myself, partner and dogs

A large tubular one that used to provide accommodation and cover for a car i owned for classic car shows.

A fishing tent/shelter (should not need explanation)

A one man bivvy tent.

Of all of them i like the bivvy best because i like its simplicity, pitch in minutes and youre basically sleeping in nature with a weatherproof on and its very cosy.

I do actually have a military bivvy bag and waterproof cover so if you want to just sleep in the open thats perfect.

I realise i dont need all of them tents but having lost my home twice and no longer in a position to buy or rent im acutely aware of the need for backup plans.Ive got my trailer but violent weather, accidents or bastards could soon change that situation,having a few backup options makes me feel more comfortable.

Ive camped all over the place,im not at all fond of big organised sites and anything over half dozen other campers even if i cant actually see them is a crowd so tent adventures have mostly been in Scotland or Northern England in the wilds,wildcamping spots or grotty hillfarms or my favourite -on a beach.

• I used to be off on the bike every weekend as a younger man. Tent & army dossbag over the rear seat & away you go. Woke up most mornings somewhere between the beer tent & my bike! Can't cope with it anymore, if I get on the ground now I can't get back up😣 Getting old & stiff is just a fuckin crock.....

How old are you and have you tried yoga or other fitness to 'de-stiffen' yourself? You know, if you want to be less stiff.

I am 45, which I know isn't that old in the grand scheme of things, but because of fitness activities I can still leap up from the floor like a gymnast*

*Might not actually resemble a gymnast when getting up from the floor. Conditions apply.

• Hi. I'm 51 now, but feel 151 most days! Starting a course of physio today, hoping that'll help. Due to stiffness & pain i can't do much excercise which just makes for a vicious circle. Just doing a bus conversion at the mo, so i'm getting some bending etc. Used to be very active so I find it doubly frustrating to end up like this. 😣😞

• Hi. I'm 51 now, but feel 151 most days! Starting a course of physio today, hoping that'll help. Due to stiffness & pain i can't do much excercise which just makes for a vicious circle. Just doing a bus conversion at the mo, so i'm getting some bending etc. Used to be very active so I find it doubly frustrating to end up like this. 😣😞

sounds like we need another thread.. ' Fifty + and fucked' , I could contribute a fair bit to that !

I ended up seriously incapacitated with sciatica in 2017, and spent 4 months digging myself out the hole sufficient to be able to start exercising again this year. I could barely walk at one point.

After doing tons of very painful daily stretching for months to rid myself of the sciatica in 2017, I spent most of this year working out hard and am now very fit and strong again. You can do it, just put the work in and you'll restore your health and be leaping around like a teen again in no time :)

• I ended up seriously incapacitated with sciatica in 2017, and spent 4 months digging myself out the hole sufficient to be able to start exercising again this year. I could barely walk at one point.

After doing tons of very painful daily stretching for months to rid myself of the sciatica in 2017, I spent most of this year working out hard and am now very fit and strong again. You can do it, just put the work in and you'll restore your health and be leaping around like a teen again in no time :)

I can vouch for that,I was fit as F and broke my back and popped two discs abseiling in 1998 and spent two years in a wheelchair or on crutches,forced to retire from my career, losing all will to live,drugged up to eyeballs on opoids and the physio didnt work.

I decided id either get fit or kill myself trying. I cant do yoga my back is too fragile but i did start walking, then moderate weights,tai chi then eventually back to cycling and rowing.

Im nowhere near as fit as i was before but I'll pass for reasonable fit 59.

Unless youve got bad arthritic joints Bigbear theres no reason you cant get back your mobility fairly quickly with perseverance.👍

• I

I own a Aussie swag tent (one person) it’s fully waterproof and reall is a bivy tent no bigger than a full-size sleeping bag with head covered. Night at head end is 24inches. Ideal for dossing down outside any vehicle or stealth in hedgerows or woo. I own one of thrdlands.

Sounds like a Kookaburra tent. I own one of these. Once on the ground it takes 20 seconds to erect. When I have been to a Confest it was the only one there, something that surprised me.