Worlds weirdest homes - floating home

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Channel 4 repeat of many fab homes but this really beautiful couple get my vote for their home in Canada. I'm just wondering what's there to stop peeps following suit here. Built on a subsistance shoestring by artists.

• Seen them with Ben Fogle. Lovely couple & idyllic lifestyle. What's to stop it happening here?... Same set of cunts that stop everything enjoyable happening!...

Just thinking outside the box. On land we're stuffed but what about sea lochs or even the likes of loch lomonde or ness, an anchored floating island would be the same as a boat. Ok, you could buy a large boat for Loch ness but the extra landspace as these peeps have done could build enough growing space to be subsistant.

• Makes a lot of sense, eases the lack of land issue, & could create homes for a few like minded people to be self sufficient & unreliant on the system. Which is why the "bastards in charge" would never allow it! Imagine, people being able to enjoy living how they wanted without being a nuisance to anyone else....where would it end?!.....

• Makes a lot of sense, eases the lack of land issue, & could create homes for a few like minded people to be self sufficient & unreliant on the system. Which is why the "bastards in charge" would never allow it! Imagine, people being able to enjoy living how they wanted without being a nuisance to anyone else....where would it end?!.....

Exactly that Bigbear. It's what stops me delving further into a more fixed abode on land. The main issue as cant afford to buy land, but if Icould knowing what we know, would I build what I would want to live withoiut planning and running the gauntlet, no, going down planning road is more expensive again and your then at the mercy of the sticky red tape.

Wales is being more progressive and is moving forward to allowing folk to build earthship houses etc, I saw the vid clip recently highlighting this, well, going by the ones they highlighted, its all very good if you got plenty of money.

• About the closest youll get to that kind of living is in a houseboat in some tidal river or estuary water somewhere as still exist in some quarters.

Youll never get permission for any kind of residential water based housing development no matter how temporary because the UK is pretty well sewn up, stapled, roped and chained to prevent anyone doing as they please on land or water.

In the Netherlands the authorities are more progressive and building floating housing and water based communities amd improving their designs.

Most UK authorities have no concept of 'progressive' and cling to their NIMBY conservative attitude.

Independent folks with ideas are dangerous subversives...why do you think as travellers we're targeted.

I think Pembrokeshire and Devon and a couple of other areas are a little more open but that willingness to experiment with sustainable eco housing and low impact communities comes with unbearable planning authority control freakery that makes spontaneity and vision nigh on impossible.

Capitalism demands youre hooked into the milking machine and with 62 milion on a small island and growing,your dreams of a waterworld idyll are just that...dreams.

Get a boat.

Di occhi belli ne è pieno il mondo,ma di occhi che ti guardano con sincerità e amore, c'è ne sono pochi. :hippy: