Robot Farming? Maybe not as bad as you think

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Looks interesting, but in defence of the tractor “they will never take the little boy out of farmers”

In 1996 I was working on a farm hedgerow. Impressed by the farmers massive John deer tractor, I was looking it over. Farmer shouted “don’t look up into the ground radar” apparently it would instantly damage my eyes. ???? I asked him what it did “this ground radar” He said it knows where the tractor is on the farm, it would then help the tractor deploy more fertiliser on the poorer parts of fields, once mapped and previous years yields recorded, working towards a semi automated arable agriculture system. It required accurate ground speed data to work well, but any wind blowing the crop would give the computer the wrong information and cock up the whole program.

• I failed my tractor driving test the first time round and I had been driving my own tractor for a good 5 years beforehand. The driving examiner failed me for getting out of the can forwards and not checking the rear three point link was in the up position before setting off.

I explained that my tractor didn’t have a cab unlike his “posh” tractor, he then explained my potential employer wouldn’t allow me to drive a £45,000 tractor into the City if I didn’t pay attention. :(

There’s something neat about owning the road whist chugging along on in a tractor. :D

• I explained that my tractor didn’t have a cab unlike his “posh” tractor, he then explained my potential employer wouldn’t allow me to drive a £45,000 tractor into the City if I didn’t pay attention. :(

There’s something neat about owning the road whist chugging along on in a tractor. :D

Wont be long before the field spraying tech can talk to the google drive software and it will drive itself into the city.....

(Looks like we need a seperate 'Human based plant and machinery fails' thread , this is demeaning the robots !!)

• Robots are cool and aurguably more attentive to the job at hand. My worry is as we move closer to automation in remote areas. A new crime wave of robot parts thefts will follow, possibly Robots held for ransom. Leaving expensive machinery unattended in fields wont bode well. Theft of power-pack, servos, motors etc will have a eager market on tomorrow’s ebay. We may see robots guarding the robots.

• Pretty sure that security will evolve within the machinery , home security measures like cctv and motion sensative lights/alarms would become the norm with email and sms alerts sent if activity outside of the norm or during 'idle' periods occured, maybe even defend them selves , gotta think twice about messing with a combine that illuminates you and shouts warnings as it starts it engines ..

• I hadn’t thought of that! Revenge of the combine, coming to a cinema near you.

With these signal blockers and insider knowledge, everything is up for grabs. :D

I’ve often fancied one of these roadside solar light trailers. Got to be some monies worth of batteries inside them and a good trailer chassis to convert. :whistle:

• A farmer mate had his barn/workshops covered by a smart security system some years ago, it would detect movement outside of the buildings in the compound. Send a signal to his bedside table. He got that fed up of false alarm call outs during winter nights, he lost faith in it and often switched it off.

One morning when I drove past his field gate, I noticed a flat bed truck and two guys leaning up against it. Nothing unusual as he often had clients or deliveries to the site.

Turns out he got burgled and they removed a fair bit of his kit that time.

I’m sure these agri machines will have human support whilst on duty and not in docking stations.

• I hadn’t thought of that! Revenge of the combine, coming to a cinema near you.

With these signal blockers and insider knowledge, everything is up for grabs. :D

I’ve often fancied one of these roadside solar light trailers. Got to be some monies worth of batteries inside them and a good trailer chassis to convert. :whistle:

About 11 years back I was putting down a concrete haul road to a grain drying shed, this was middle of winter in the middle of nowhere (nearest village shop was 4 miles),anyways , one november moring we arrive on site park the van and while my labourer is putting his boots on I am out checking things out, after a few minutes I reach the rear of the building and hear an engine running , only motor there was a 7t 360 digger on hire to us , so I approach it thinking 'how and why did my labourer get here before me (usually very slow ) and start the digger ?'

He hadn't, door was open as was engine cover ,looking in the cab it was a mess of wires.The thieves had used a generic key to open it but there was no generic code to the keypad that actually lets you start it , so they ripped out the pad, hot wired shit in the cab and engine bay and got it started , looked to me like it had taken a while but that they had given up , bypassing the starter,fuel pump etc got the engine running but the hydraulic pump was also linked as a failsafe so they couldnt even raise the boom the nick the spare buckets never mind track onto a trailer :)

Took a techi from the alarm company 2 days to sort at a cost of 3 grand .

• ''I’ve often fancied one of these roadside solar light trailers. Got to be some monies worth of batteries inside them and a good trailer chassis to convert. :whistle:''

Usually 2 x 220 Ah deep cycle with the quick release leisure clamps, changed every 12 months for safety sake , no nuttin much to get excited about :/. Armed with that knowledge from streetworks training I was exited to see that after extensive roadworks outside my mums place a light trailer was stored 20 yards from Bubbles attached to a telegraph pole with a big chain , but that there was no padlock on the battery bay , I had a peek 'out of curiosity' one evening assuming the batterys had been removed , but nope, still sat there . It was 2 weeks before it was collected but I never took 'em.

And certainly not from active ones,bad karma indeed fucking with traffic lights .....

• I’m Guilty of turning off a old lister (noisy) diesel generator set that was powering come temporary traffic lights near my field, whilst drunk, one dark night back in my youth. Luckily it was a quiet road and no harm done. The same engine block was sold a few days later to a biker mate.

Plant has always been vulnerable. 5 years ago Some toewrag stole the radiator out of my JCB3X I’ve not managed to move it still to this day. Laying down the buckets for safety hasn’t helped me. Guess it will be sold for scrap and spares now.

• Post by Rogue Trader ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves: Double post. Travelling between towers, lost signal ().
  • That pic was inspired by a search from my pinterest thing, this is the original ..

https://prnt.sc/lhwsqg

lots of comments about toe stubbing on them rock teeth needless to say,but sweet the way the dibber drops from the ceiling , shame the flue couldnt go out back of burner through bucket and it to it !!

I was going to post that pic shroom, would love to have the space for something like it!

8c8663cd473f44c1d72145582e6e7615-1.jpg

• I’ve often fancied one of these roadside solar light trailers. Got to be some monies worth of batteries inside them and a good trailer chassis to convert. :whistle:

There is. Allegedly :whistle:

There are also some very nice little wind turbines, solar panels and a battery in them flashing speed limit signs round here..