Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Right now, as I type this, my smoke alarm has decided to start bleeping! Annoying as I can't reach it to stop it.

WHAT noise, or noises, fill you with dread, REALLY pee you off or just plain make you giggle?

Here are a few of mine...…

REALLY PEE ME OFF.....dripping taps GRRRR! :cursing:

DREAD HEARING...…….cries of real pain from humans or animals. ;(:(:cry:

I GIGGLE AT...…………....the sound of babies laughing:love::sun:

……….your turn!

• Anything and anyone creating any noise when its my chill/nana nap or book reading time. thankfully where I'm parked up I do get good chunks of said quiet time. Others have a right to do what they need to do that may involve creating noise so it is also the right of anyone to have quiet time, but as is the way, to have that quiet time, you have to wait till no fecker is creating a din and at times its when you need the down time and peace and quiet the most, thats when some fecker is making the most noise.

• The farmer next to my waggon wanted to exploit the high price of straw that befell on livestock farmers last year. He and his buddies decided to bale and haul every stalk of wheat and barely straw grown within 15 miles of us. Collecting and stacking probably over 1400 big 4 x 4’ x 8’ bales of straw right next door to me. It resembled two multi story car parks side by side. For the last month a continuous stream of articulated curtain side lorries have been arriving before dawn. Reversing into the field next door to my wagon. (Some drivers sleeping over with their cab window to my wagon window). Around 6 o’clock the farmer has been shunting straw bales with his telehandler upto these lorries, before loading each curtain sider with 16 big bales.

This procedure goes on throughout the day, until dark. Each time the telehandler goes into revers. The frigging bleeping starts. It’s like parking up at a busy dock or industrial site. I love to see plant and especially tractors. But for god sake, next year he must start after 7am or I will disable his reversing bleeper.

I hope the price of straw continues to fall this year, they may not be so greedy next year. :whistle:

• The farmer next to my waggon wanted to exploit the high price of straw that befell on livestock farmers last year. He and his buddies decided to bale and haul every stalk of wheat and barely straw grown within 15 miles of us. Collecting and stacking probably over 1400 big 4 x 4’ x 8’ bales of straw right next door to me. It resembled two multi story car parks side by side. For the last month a continuous stream of articulated curtain side lorries have been arriving before dawn. Reversing into the field next door to my wagon. (Some drivers sleeping over with their cab window to my wagon window). Around 6 o’clock the farmer has been shunting straw bales with his telehandler upto these lorries, before loading each curtain sider with 16 big bales.

This procedure goes on throughout the day, until dark. Each time the telehandler goes into revers. The frigging bleeping starts. It’s like parking up at a busy dock or industrial site. I love to see plant and especially tractors. But for god sake, next year he must start after 7am or I will disable his reversing bleeper.

I hope the price of straw continues to fall this year, they may not be so greedy next year. :whistle:

Oh mate what a pisser, i would be erupting in apoplectic urges to commit murder if that was going on next to me every morning at that time for weeks on end. As you say nowt wrong with machinery and folk doing ther job, but that reverse bleeper would seriously have to get er hum, disabled. I'm an early bird naturally but need at least an hours grace to wake up in peace.

• I'm with Alices on the noisy eaters... Drives me scatty, especially the open mouthed ones, and the messy ones who just get food all-round their face and really don't care.

Underwater farts make me giggle. As does trying to change the pitch of a good fart by manipulating your buttocks into unusual positions.

It's also funny when you do this to you partner when they're in bed and you feel them tense up to force out a big fart. Grab their buttocks and either squeeze them together or pull them apart slightly to erm, lower the tone....

It's no use shouting about who's to blame, when all that counts is how to change...

• Fuckin tinitus drives me insane! Haven't had a real good night's sleep for over 20yrs cos of the constant fuckin whistling in my head. Got to have a radio on all night to break the silence or it's unbearable. Much sympathy to anyone who suffers with it.:(

I have tinnitus as well Bigbear, I cant say wether its loud or quiet compare to others as you need an external noise to compare it to, I would say it is quite loud. For me though I never have trouble sleeping, it does fluctuate, sometimes its loud, sometimes it can barely be heard but it always comes back after a bit, ears being blocked makes it louder. a little trick sometimes that works if feel blocked is to grab your earlobes both sides with finger and thumb and pull them out and down then do a suckiong motion with your throat and do a hard backwards sniff as if your trying to suck a stiff snot from your nose, that helps me loads a si get sinus blocks quite often which makes the tinitus louder. Have you come across or tried the tapping technique, this is said to help quite a lot of folk,

Take your pick, there's different techniques folk sya helps here, the spoon tapping one strangely enough is quite theraputic, the 5th one down

https://www.youtube.com/result…ing+technique+for+tinitus

And this one not seen this before in link below and not that I normally bother but I just saw this one then I have actually just followed this guy step by step and copied what he was doing as he was doing it from start to finish, and wow, my head feels lovely and warm and funnily enough it has unblocked my ears and the tinitus has gone a bit quieter, honestly, not syaing its a cure but of something makes you feel a bit better, well, whats the harm, I've booked marked the link here as It feels like I've just had a compressed airline blow through my ears or like I've just had a full on head massage, anything to help for a bit of relief to make you feel a bit better, let me know if you try this, and yep, feel like a bit of a plum but from what I'm just feeling, flying fucks, no

I learnt to live with it and go down the road of treating it as a freind rather than a foe, it used to drive me to the extremes of wild but thats no good for the soul. also, what it can be useful for, yep useful, if life gets a bit bumpy causing some worry or stress or am having a bad day, I tune into the tinitus and then it blocks out the brain chatter of worrying or stressing about something if that makes sense, kind of the same process of having music or white noise box at night to block tinitus. I know its never going to go away, its always there so got used to it as I hated feeling shit and bothered by it.

• Yep I have the constant ringing in one ear sometimes it can get really loud,i try to take my mind off it.That's one of my annoying noises,

A rather pleasant noise I find is a nice bit of fanny farting,cracks me up everytime although I never let on.:whistle::whistle:

• I don’t suffer from tinnitus, my ears behave impeccably. Sometimes (usually after swimming) I can get a ear infection. My biggest sin was once “poking” things man, into my ear. It’s starts with a cotton bud :shock: and ends in tears. ;([panic]

But they are a beautiful bit of biological evolutionary engineering. I can hear some of the quietist sounds, like the whisper of the wind. The base of a Rave PA and the heartbeat of my kids.

I can hold a pencil all shift. Rest my sunglasses on them all day.

I don’t get a earful every time it rains.

What has sadly gone is the top range of my hearing spectrum. This could be heavy industry/down a coalmine and shot the blasting noise, it could be being raised at the back of a shotgun for the first 25 years. The many sound systems and tractor implements or a combination of all of them.

Even though, My ears are a fine tuneable feature, which I use day and night to keep me safe and happy. I can be thankful for what Ive got and how they are working.

Now if I could have evolved the same sense of smell as a dog. That would be useful, “I think” :whistle:

• Now if I could have evolved the same sense of smell as a dog. That would be useful, “I think” :whistle:

A useful skill indeed but it seems widely underused by the canine community. If their sense of smell is so good why does my dog insist on wedging his nose right up another dogs arse to have a sniff, and upon discovering fox shit feel the need to stick his nose in it.

Actually, now i think about it he also sometimes buries his head in my crotch for a good sniff when hes laid on the settee, based on the last paragraph i wonder if hes trying to tell me something...

• The good thing is, although I have tinitus my actual hearing is superb. i know this because when I hear a moving noise in the far distance and I say to someone can you hear that, they are straining and cant hear it, then when its got nearer they then say they can hear what I heard quite a time before. In the evenings in summer there is the traffic going to and from the seaside towns, the man racers on their big bikes and co ordinated bike/leathers/helmets/gloves/socks and probably undercrackers as they are that colour co ordinated, when they've had their pint and fish and chips they roar back down the dual carriage way and I can hear them at 1.5 miles away as the crow flies as there is a roundabout, what do you know, it is 1.5 miles away as the crow flies from where I am and can hear them rev down to approach it and roar off the other side, I'd say thats pretty good hearing.

As an aside, how long ago and whoever thought up the saying 'as the crow flies', that fascinates me, its such a natural way to describe going from A to B without circumnavigating earthbound obstacles.

• The sound of a cars engine running continously whilst I'm trying to get to sleep.

When I was pregnant and trying to have an afternoon nap, the guy up the road used to drive his motor bike up and down the road over and over and over again.... It drove me bonkers and just as I'd go to the shed to get a shovel out of my shed (it was going round his head) he'd stop...

• The sound of a cars engine running continously whilst I'm trying to get to sleep.

When I was pregnant and trying to have an afternoon nap, the guy up the road used to drive his motor bike up and down the road over and over and over again.... It drove me bonkers and just as I'd go to the shed to get a shovel out of my shed (it was going round his head) he'd stop...

Oh fuck yeah, thta would proper get my dander up. And isnt it always the feckin same, just when you've downed your head for a nana nap, thats when the noisiest fucker in the neighbourhood is going to start performing, it's like they know someone within their vicinity is going for a rest by some sort of energy vampire telepathy.

• Most of us are inconsiderate to the world of others. My chainsaw stops for no man between 8.am and 6pm. Only very rarely if a child or elder is sick, we will go without fire wood.

I had ten years working shifts, two of those years on permanent night shift. It taught me to be patient and but not understanding.

Give me the most beautiful of views and a generator less than 100yards away, the view stays the same just nolonger a pleasure to stare at it.