The Retro Computer Thread

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Sorry I had no intention of causing offence. I had no intention to get a reaction. I would have thought that someone who fixes old computers would end up with some scrap just like someone who fixes old vehicles would also end up with some scrap. Over the years I have taken two Apple computers and two PC's to the tip when I could have recovered a bit pf gold. The computer I am typing on is an HP MIni 1502 I think , Running 32 bit Windows 7 It is a breath of fresh air compared to previous Windoze operation systems. The only trouble I have with it is the battery pack keeps falling out.

So are old computers collectors' items? I could understand the demand for one for period film set. In the film Decoding Annie Parker a desktop morphs through several generations of desktops to indicate passing of time.

• Someone very close by me has an ad on freecycle with a serious amount of towers and laptops to dispose of Compo. If youre interested i can send you the link.

Fuel and/or postage cost would likely rule it out for me, but i'd be interested in the link as i could post it to a couple of uk retro computer fb groups I'm on. Hopefully somebody would be a bit closer.

• Thanks for the offer Shroom but unfortunately that stuff is a lot newer than the older stuff i have and incompatible. Further up in this thread Rogue Trader was talking of a gaming pc for his lad - may be of some use to him. Alternatively if it's just sitting you'd get a reasonable price on eBay for it.

• Thanks for the offer Shroom but unfortunately that stuff is a lot newer than the older stuff i have and incompatible. Further up in this thread Rogue Trader was talking of a gaming pc for his lad - may be of some use to him. Alternatively if it's just sitting you'd get a reasonable price on eBay for it.

Thanks for heads up. We did buy our lad a secondhand PC. I think postage would be substantial and probably not in keeping with freecycle ethos.