Interesting ideas/concepts and components for vehicles and traveller homes.

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Found any interesting design features for use/living/working in vehicles? Putthem here.

Interesting computer station, cockpit/cab table design.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals…dd3003513b672b2810fd4.jpg

Found it on Pinterest and there’s a similar component designed by the same company, that fits on the dashboard and hooks over the steering wheel for the flatscreen/tablet etc.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pi…m_term=15&utm_medium=2012

Simple to make out of a wide variety of materials.

https://fifthelementcamping.co…ment-micro-camper-system/

• First impressions, just became a member and already have a problem, clicked on a few headings expecting to find something to read under Tech, found zero posts same in a few other places, one said something about payment, could I be in the wrong place or universe.

• I’ve just fitted x two gas spring monitor arms to my wagon desk monitor (bought on eBay 2nd hand, £9 for the pair) freed up so much desk/worktop space. Joined the two together (as same make/model) now it’s twice as long, x2 position settings, ( - twice the weight tho) can view monitor at any hight, any direction. Floating monitor easy to stow away.

• ~There is some interesting concepts and gadgets around these days but I have never been starstruck by all this stuff, old skool live in works best for me, multi fuel stove, chest of drawers, wardrobe cubby hole thing for clothes stash and cubby where printer sits, 3 seater comfy couch then its LPG gas oven and thats it. The one modern gadget thing is the 12 volt whale pump that feeds water form a roller butt outside to a tap in my sink. Less stuff is less to maintain/go wrong. A lot of vans and trucks I see built these days are so high maintenance and why oh why do people bury wires behind their ply or tongue and groove linings.

• why oh why do people bury wires behind their ply or tongue and groove linings.

if you plan your wire layout and make provision for adding in future. It is sensible to place wires out of sight behind walls etc. Less chance of dust build up and damage from surface rubbing, chewing, wear and tear. If your in doubt, piping wires in conduit and leaving a trace line inside conduit for further wire installation. I had to trace “All” wires in the Pinzgauer, so I marked each cable end with colour coded tape and wrote on each tapped wire end. Drawing a wiring diagram and sticking it in the fuse/consumer unit for future reference helps the owner and any new owner.
    My wagon is a dusty place. Probably due to lifestyle and woodburner. Dust on shelves, brackets, tatt and equipment needs cleaning up often or it gets spread around. When dogs lived with me, I swept floor, cleaned hearth every morning. House proud maybe. But I just can’t keep on top of dust these days.

• Kept y wiring etc to a minimum on my build. All I have is 12v lighting & a 12v water pump & 2 usb charging points. Only gas I have is my cooker. Solar when I fit it, will be wired in conduit. Only other planned installation is a diesel heater.

• For a live in 12v system this is good:-

Isolate 2 leisure batteries if space is available.... It means that failure of a charging source or a failing battery has reduced cost because damage is only to a single battery.

It gives back up and full utilisation of sub optimal batteries..... Swap out the worst battery.

It gives a back up battery mainly.

Switches can be used to direct charge from source to either battery and to select either battery to provide power to the 'house'.

Cons of this:- it requires presence of mind to make the correct pathways with switches.

This is not some kind of original thought on my part. Some expensive motor home power management solutions utilise leisure battery isolation.

• if you plan your wire layout and make provision for adding in future. It is sensible to place wires out of sight behind walls etc. Less chance of dust build up and damage from surface rubbing, chewing, wear and tear. If your in doubt, piping wires in conduit and leaving a trace line inside conduit for further wire installation. I had to trace “All” wires in the Pinzgauer, so I marked each cable end with colour coded tape and wrote on each tapped wire end. Drawing a wiring diagram and sticking it in the fuse/consumer unit for future reference helps the owner and any new owner.
    My wagon is a dusty place. Probably due to lifestyle and woodburner. Dust on shelves, brackets, tatt and equipment needs cleaning up often or it gets spread around. When dogs lived with me, I swept floor, cleaned hearth every morning. House proud maybe. But I just can’t keep on top of dust these days.

I suppose that's down to the individual with burying wiring, I dont mean leave it bare tacked to walls, I tucked mine out of sight but accessible so wont have to dismantle the lining tio get to it if need be, but I have seen mouse attacks on wires buried behind cladding which resulted in a burn out then burying wiring didnt seem like a good idea, wasnt my truck but it happened.

As for dust and burners, yep it happens, I cant really be arsed with all that too much, it's a living space not a showroom. If it comes down to having time to dust then that means I'm lunching out more important stuff.

As an aside and as just reminded myself, lunch out, what an old skool NAT term eh, you fucking lunched it out again or you lunch out could be regularly heard being bellowed about site

• Kept y wiring etc to a minimum on my build. All I have is 12v lighting & a 12v water pump & 2 usb charging points. Only gas I have is my cooker. Solar when I fit it, will be wired in conduit. Only other planned installation is a diesel heater.

Yep absolutely, keep it to a minimum, seems to me these days when folk do vans and trucks they want everything in their vehicles that they had in their houses. Yeah I get being comfortable but they dont need all that shite.