Flu jab or not?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Last year while waiting in a rural chemist for a prescription to be filled. I read some bumf on the wall about free flu jabs. “Get your free flu jab here” so making polite conversation with staff behind the counter. I asked how quick is the booking and service. A voice from the back of the storage shelves said “I can do it now for you”. Cool, nothing to loose, everything to gain. I made my way to the tiny room at the rear of the chemist, where laying out next to a kidney dish was a syringe, ready loaded and with my name on it.

Pharmasists, says, “just a few questions and tick the box that applies”. Nothing on the list of questions that relate to me. So I sign the bottom of the page.

Pharmacist then asks how I want to pay? “Pay”? I thought it was free? I had already had a few of these flu jabs over the years and never paid for any (to my reckoning) well a Pharmacist says, no pay, no jab. Then threw the syringe in the sharps bin.

A week later while at a GP Surgery. I mention this “charge” to the receptionist and she told me Im exempted from paying due to my “condition”:eek:

What’s that then? A tight bugger? Not going to aurgue, I had the jab. Got on well with it. No real bad colds or flu that year.

The time is upon us again. Do I chance my luck at a GP Surgery? Not have a flu jab this year? Or pay some chemist for their time?

Any one else had/having/avoiding a flu jab?

Many years ago. 1987/8/9 We considered giving our two horses a flu jab (due to a flu outbreak amongst horses) thankfully I didn’t go through with it and rumours were bound that some of these ”expensive” horses around they Country were (supposedly) experiencing lung problems following the equine flu jab.

It was probably more worry and stable chat than fact. But it did deter me from ever giving our horses a flu jab and my avoidance over the coming years.

So side effects a side. Who’s up for a collective flu suppressant?

• Had it from when it was offered since a heart attack 20 years ago, no flu at all.

I assume it’s required annually, not a lifetime inoculation. But good on you for avoiding the flu. Having nursery school kids around there’s always someone with the sniffles.

I had bad flu in 1992. Living in a tin trailer and leaving the door open for 18 months (because of my dogs) the flu hammered my chest. Getting bronchitis made me realise just how heavy being ill and living alone can become.

• It's done here by drop in at the health centre, no appointment, just selected days, or by appointment if you can't make the drop in. I wonder if sausages feel a little scratch before cooking these days?

• Went to my docs for an appointment for something else last month and asked if I could have the jab there and then as it's a bugger to park since the council twats barriered the carparks...........noooo, attend with the old farts on two set days but then not even that as I was under 65 so come back next month. There's one for overs and one for unders.

On walking back to the box saw a sign in the chemist windows, 'flu jabs ' here so went in and got whisked into a side room, a few questions and the needle. Turns out the surgery hadn't got the under 65s vaccine as there was a shortage. No ill effects at all from it at all.

• I've got friends who have reacted badly to 'flu jabs, with swellings, swollen glands, feverishness, etc.

I had the jab myself for the very first time a couple of years back, and it had no side effects that I knew of.

But before that I had gone some 70 years without a jab and without any flu either, so it probably didn't make any difference.:thumbup:

Last year, early Autumn, I talked with a mate who works in the local A&E. He wasn't having his flu jab, he said, because many of the doctors and nurses at the hospital weren't having it, either, and were privately advising against it. Don't know if they knew more than we did, but there you are. So I didn't bother.

I talked with a friend who is a retired doctor, and he said the flu jab was one of the biggest cons that big pharma ran in the NHS. The chances of getting a virus covered by the flu jab were pretty small, because these things mutate wildly, even in weeks, and there are scores of permutations.. But big pharma got paid very nicely every year anyway, thank you!

For those who want to know, the effects of a flu jab last up to six years in the body, but they only protect you - if they do - against the viruses they were originally designed for, so their effect can be outdated very quickly.

• I was told by the chemist who stuck me that the jab is to cater for the predicted virus that is doing the rounds and yet to hit the UK. It's not a cureall for all flu as the virus, as said, mutates but for the years that I've been having it (initially as a carer) and touch wood, avoided it to date.

• Never had a flu jab abd dont intend to. On rare occasions I get a bit of a snivvely cold but it is rare and never get flu. I dont live, work or spend time in the likely catchment areas and avoid those I do know who have it, being a bit careful and keeping meself fit and healthy goes a long way to keep it at bay. I do get the yearly text inviting me in to the docs for it as am 52 now so am eligable but I havent needed it before so dont see why I need it now.

• I’m in too minds now. If I don’t have it and get the bugger, I’m going to be royaly pissed of aren't I. But if It’s free and I’m in the vicinity (GP Surgery) I owe it, to be able to look after our kids, missus and friends if they get it. So someone, somewhere, somehow will benefit??? Mmmmm not so sure now.

• If you have it (free) you can say you did your best for all concerned, I guess, even if you get the flu from a different bug that the jab doesn't cover....

I use crowded buses once or twice a week, so I'm probably more likely to come across it than you are, anyway. I try to avoid the school bus times as there are always kids coughing and sneezing with something or other.

• I try to avoid the school bus times as there are always kids coughing and sneezing with something or other.

I try to avoid kids full stop.

AW, if it's free it's worth it but if you don't and chances are you cop a dose of flu which could possibly have been avoided you are then a burden to your family. If they cop a dose and you've had the jab you could then be fit to look after them.

• I have historically suffered a man flu type winter cold in January that ways me off for 10-14 days....

The last 3 years I have taken the flu jab and my winter cold virus symptoms have been much more mild....

I am therefore favouring having the Flu jab despite never having had proper flu....

• Man flu colds knock the shit out of me too. Everyone else who shares the same bout claims they are really just a cold. I often go a year or two when the most I suffer is a 5 day sniffle, a four day cough and phlegmy lungs for two weeks, That’s a cold and my Bloody kids share colds without remorse.

• I don't think having the jabs makes any difference to colds, or how often you get them, because the viruses concerned are quite different to 'flu viruses.

Reaction to the jab just might temporarily upgrade your body's natural immunity level temporarily, I'm not sure.

In the year following my jab I still got the occasional cold, same as before the jab, so as far as colds went, it seemed to make no difference.

• I think you all are right.

However......

Having been less layed up by colds since having the Flu jab.... coincidence or not.... Im feeling reasonably superstitious and am now tempting fate by speaking out loud.

I've continued to have short lived viruses both summer and winter since getting flu jabbed but have not experienced the harsh and lengthy non flu colds that affected me before having the jab.

It may be coincidence.... or may be that I have rock hard resilience and was previously infected with flu but suffered lesser symptoms. 🤩🙄😏

• I don't think having the jabs makes any difference to colds, or how often you get them, because the viruses concerned are quite different to 'flu viruses.

Reaction to the jab just might temporarily upgrade your body's natural immunity level temporarily, I'm not sure.

In the year following my jab I still got the occasional cold, same as before the jab, so as far as colds went, it seemed to make no difference.

Sure Kieth. I know the flu jab is specifically developed for the “anticipated” flu virus doing the rounds.

When I was a young lad, I was told that there are just less than 100 strains of colds & once a person gets over their cold, they become immune to that strain and can never suffer from it again. I mentioned this a few years ago and it was debunked. Colds mutate all the time, so there’s potentially endless colds that aperson can catch.