Woodburner in truck

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Advice please...I know a little about woodburners in ordinary dwellings and the need to be DEFRA approved for use in smokeless areas. Are the 'DEFRA' requirements only for ordinary dwellings or do they also apply to woodburners in trucks, motorhomes etc

a. When parked in a smokeless fuel area

b. Any other area.

Thanks in advance for advice:)

• Advice please...I know a little about woodburners in ordinary dwellings and the need to be DEFRA approved for use in smokeless areas. Are the 'DEFRA' requirements only for ordinary dwellings or do they also apply to woodburners in trucks, motorhomes etc

a. When parked in a smokeless fuel area

b. Any other area.

Thanks in advance for advice:)

You need to adhere to smokeless zones if in one, nearby curtain twitchers and neighbour hood watch love a crime/anti social stuff to report.

Burners in trucks are a grey area, not illegal but not legal, keep out of sight of truck insurance dealings if they ask for pics and same if you go for changing log book to motorhome which require pics.

• You need to adhere to smokeless zones if in one, nearby curtain twitchers and neighbour hood watch love a crime/anti social stuff to report.

Burners in trucks are a grey area, not illegal but not legal, keep out of sight of truck insurance dealings if they ask for pics and same if you go for changing log book to motorhome which require pics.

Mine had the woodburner in the pics for the DVLA and it wasn't a problem. Only problem I've ever had with the burner in mine was the cops at the door asking if I was on fire, I've driven hundreds if not thousands of miles with mine burniyand never had an issue with it

• When and if anyone gets pulled by the cops for Driving with a burning fire in the back, just tell them I said it was ok and you should be fine. Speaking of fines, if you get one it nothing to do with me. :whistle:

Just cos I got off with it doesn't mean you will

• I'd still omit pics of my burner if I had to send pics to DVLA. some insurance companies ask for pics of a vehicles insides before they willinsure, wouldnt fancy having pics of a burner

going into an insurance company.

• I'd still omit pics of my burner if I had to send pics to DVLA. some insurance companies ask for pics of a vehicles insides before they willinsure, wouldnt fancy having pics of a burner

going into an insurance company.

Ostrich and sand come to mind. When you have a prang your insurance company will check your vehicle for a 'get out of paying' clause IF you've omitted to tell them something. DVLA passed mine for a camper on turnaround with pics of my burner and my insurance never asked what the conversion was except that it was a campervan. If they'd asked I would declare it like I declared all the custom bits on my hog. I've got custom insurance for a home-build something which normal insurance companies won't touch and that's without an engineers report. Considering on renewal going for agreed valuation which is extra but that's another story.

• Ostrich and sand come to mind. When you have a prang your insurance company will check your vehicle for a 'get out of paying' clause IF you've omitted to tell them something. DVLA passed mine for a camper on turnaround with pics of my burner and my insurance never asked what the conversion was except that it was a campervan. If they'd asked I would declare it like I declared all the custom bits on my hog. I've got custom insurance for a home-build something which normal insurance companies won't touch and that's without an engineers report. Considering on renewal going for agreed valuation which is extra but that's another story.

I hear ya Wulfie, insurance comapnies will always look for a get out clause but I cant imagine a burner will ever be the cause of an accident on the road while driving. I've always thought folk omitted pics of a burner when sending pics to DVLA. I suppose part of with me being old skool is harking back to the eighties and nineties, the CO OP was about the only ines and the go to to insure live in buses and trucks and it was a no no, they wanted four pics one form each side on the outside and stack pipes were taken down or the top of the printed pic was at roof level so you coudnt see it.

If and I hope to whatever Gods, Deities or spirits folk send protective charms and chants to that it doesnt, if a burner went wrong while parked up and took a vehicle out I cant imagine an insurance company would pay out for it if it was found to be / put as the cause of a fire for a claim even if they knew about the vehicle having a burner as provided info on taking out an insurance claim.

• They chganged the law recently (ish) and the insurance company cant weedle out of a claim by your failure to declare mods if the mods didn't contribute towards the claim.

Ie if you have an undeclared burner and someone drives into you, the burner didnt contribute towards the accident so has no bearing on the claim.

On the other hand if youve got an undeclared burner, and your van burns down because of it then youre pretty much fucked.

You can only accomplish your object in life by complete disregard of the opinions of other people.

• They chganged the law recently (ish) and the insurance company cant weedle out of a claim by your failure to declare mods if the mods didn't contribute towards the claim.

Ie if you have an undeclared burner and someone drives into you, the burner didnt contribute towards the accident so has no bearing on the claim.

On the other hand if youve got an undeclared burner, and your van burns down because of it then youre pretty much fucked.

Thats how I've percieved things to be. If a burner is declared and the insurance company knows a vehicle it has insured has one installed, its amazing there isnt some sort of installation or safety inspection certificate required as there is for Gas installations with some insurance companies, not that there will be any regulations or standard certification guidelines to be adhere to to gain one. As an aside, do narrowboats have to have burners inspected according to a safety standard to be able to get full insurance. Should ask this in the boaters section but it's

also relevant here for information.

are you sure there’s a “law” passed that deals with “insurance” and the ignorance on part of the insured and it wwas ammended or removed? Can this be substantiated?

If it was law and it was later ammended there should be documentation to the effect in the public domain. Insurance company underwriters “do”often place “clauses” in a policy. These can often be aurgued or negotiated, although it could result in paying a higher premium. All the regular insurance companies I’ve had quotes and policies from since 2009 “when a woodburner was declared” insisted a serviced, in date fire extinguisher must be kept in the vehicle at all times.

I lost my double decker to fire in 2003. During the insurance claims inspectors visit to the burnt out remains. I had a brand new solid fuel Army field cooking range on the bottom deck and dangling precariously from the twisted bare metal roof supports on top deck was my smaller woodburner and stove pipe complete with witches hat. No comment was made regarding the two appliances and £800 was paid out. If it was £8k or £80k I dare say they would have tried to use those as an excuse to cancel the claim.

• I can understand if you tried to claim for a fire when you had an undeclared woodburner, but surely they couldn't get away with not paying out for a standard road accident because of one?

Adrian Flux never asked me anything about the interior and i didn't volunteer any information..

• are you sure there’s a “law” passed that deals with “insurance” and the ignorance on part of the insured and it wwas ammended or removed? Can this be substantiated?

TBH i ccouldn't say 100% it was law, maybe just a ruling. There was a bit of buzz about it at the time as some cases had gone through re the undeclared mods having no bearing on the claim.

Im on my tablet at work, so cant search properly and google isnt full of results about successful claims or policy changes (wonder why that would be...) but when i get chance ill try and dig something out.

You can only accomplish your object in life by complete disregard of the opinions of other people.

• AW, turned this up. I wouldnt normally post it but google isnt really showing much.

The bit in the link that is of interest to us is:

In a landmark Supreme Court ruling that overturns centuries of insurance practice, ‘collateral lies’ which are untrue, but do not affect the validity of the claim, can be acceptable

https://www.bikerandbike.co.uk…-always-invalidate-claim/

Ill still try and find some better sources...

• I can understand if you tried to claim for a fire when you had an undeclared woodburner, but surely they couldn't get away with not paying out for a standard road accident because of one?

Adrian Flux never asked me anything about the interior and i didn't volunteer any information..

do you have a woodburner ?....... yes

do you have a fire extinguisher in date.....yes

thats the questions on my insurance policy regarding burners

emmer I can’t imagine insurance brokers using a woodburner for an excuse to get out of paying in the event of a claim unless the stove actually caused the fire like you mentioned and they were unaware of it being fitted or not fitted by a competent person, or them trying to wangle out of paying up if our vehicle was stolen (claiming we were advertising that we had a “>< expensive appliance onboard” by having a stovepipe sticking out the roof etc.

All these “photographs” we surrender to get insurance and then change the layout again, remove stuff etc could come back to haunt us. Saying that. I went through the process of re-classing the Pinz last year to agricultural (tractor). The DVLA said fine “so long as it is kept as presented and used as declared.” Big commitment so I haven’t bothered and it’s still registered as a all terrain motorhome and insured as such.

Harry your insured with A Flux aren’t you?

• One pertinent comment from the link

Right now we’d say what we always say about modifications, get the right cover by declaring them – if you find the right insurer, you might not need to need to pay through the nose.