ALL THINGS FOOD!

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Time it takes to do porridge? WTF?

3 minutes is all it takes on high-speed gas.
    We soak rolled oats in the pan in cold water overnight, light up the gas, put in any more water/milk as required, and stir whilst cooking. Takes less than three minutes this way!

If you have only electric you can cheat by mixing the rolled oats with cold water/milk first, leave overnight, then pour boiling water in at breakfast-time to mix without lumps, leave a couple of minutes, and you're there. Not quite so good as with gas, not quite so hot, but okay.

As for extra washing up, you mean you don't scrape out the pan, then leave it to soak all day full of water? A quick brush-around and it's clean!

Yeah I hear you chap, but when you generally have a million and one other things to do including putting the hours in my workshop, adding doing breakfast gets relegated to the bottom of the list.

I'm never hungry in the first 2-3 hours of morning and stopping mid morning to do porridge isnt an option as its work time, take yesterday morning, got up at 6 a.m, made coffee, had to look through my work E mails, generate an extensive quote which took 40 minutes, then deal with customers requests for info etc on face book, the yard bog needed a clean so that was the first chore to get it out the way, then my truck floor needed a sweep and a fling over with a wet cloth, then sorted the burner for the day, had to sort out the bag or glass and tin for recyling as it was full, then had to nip to village on my bike to get a loaf of bread and eggs otherwise I wouldnt have had me omlette last night, after that lot, more coffee and by that time it was 10 a.m and had to get in my workshop, got to earn a living, do breakfast, generate more washing up, wish I had the time, I know you say 3 minutes, but all in all the half hour plus time eating is time I dont have, when your on your own with more pressing things that need doing on a daily basis, breakfast isnt on the agenda.

• There's an old Buddhist saying, that if you don't look after yourself first, you soon won't be in any position to help anyone else...

My first priority is a cup of tea, then breakfast. Always was, even when we had to get up at 5.00 am to be down at the town market unloading for 6.30 am.

As my Scottish friend used to say: "Don't gie yu'sel an hard time, laddie, there's enough bastards trying to do that already!":)

• Just making a few lbs of marrow, ginger, raisin and apple jam this afternoon. Mainly because we like the texture of marrow jam, and partly because we seem to have a lot of marrows hanging about this year. Smells delish!

• Up the cables? In my mobile I had a 2 ring baby belling as there wasn't a high enough electric supply and a microwave that way we could make amazing full on roast dinners. Microwaved veggies rock!:boing::boing::boing:

I'm running on an extension cable from my workshop to my truck. Somehow I reckon would need something more substancial. Anyways I wont be owning a microwave anytime soon, I dont feel right with them.

• There's an old Buddhist saying, that if you don't look after yourself first, you soon won't be in any position to help anyone else...

My first priority is a cup of tea, then breakfast. Always was, even when we had to get up at 5.00 am to be down at the town market unloading for 6.30 am.

As my Scottish friend used to say: "Don't gie yu'sel an hard time, laddie, there's enough bastards trying to do that already!":)

Oh yeah, I totally get that but am just not a breakfast person unless I really feel the need, and while on that one for some bizarre reaon for me to go near breakfast I have to have a dump first and that only happens when its ready as with all things, when its ready then its time. Normally I dont tell folk in person about my non breakfast habits, they end up giving me looks :eek:.

When I need to go to the village for the post office the local deli does lush hot cornish pasties so I do snaffle one of them when there. its a good meal for £1.60 and they are not ginsters shit reheated, they are proper made ones.

• Yeah, I guess different people have different habits first thing.

I generally have to get a mug of hot tea down me before I want to take a dump, and sometimes breakfast first, too.

The village fresh-made pasties sound good!

I sometimes give in to a bag of chips when I stroll past the chippy on the local square where the shops are. Daren't take 'em back home, 'cos she's supposed to be slimming...:whistle:

• Yeah, I guess different people have different habits first thing.

I generally have to get a mug of hot tea down me before I want to take a dump, and sometimes breakfast first, too.

The village fresh-made pasties sound good!

I sometimes give in to a bag of chips when I stroll past the chippy on the local square where the shops are. Daren't take 'em back home, 'cos she's supposed to be slimming...:whistle:

Oh that makes me laugh everytime I hear or read the words 'take a dump or take a piss', me personally I prefer to leave it behind :pp 

As soon as I read the bit about giving in to a bag of chips all I could picture was you going back indoors and your good wife taking one sniff as you breeze past and commenting you had chips again.

And yes the village pasties are damn good, I would easily eat one of those every morning if they done a delivery service.

• Oh that makes me laugh everytime I hear or read the words 'take a dump or take a piss', me personally I prefer to leave it behind

That's nothing; many years back, I used to work with a farm chap from another county, and when we had our dinner break in the 'bothy', he would often announce:

"Well, I shell 'ev to fetch a shet!"

To which our blokes would reply:

"Well, for fug's sake don't bring it in here, Reg!"

• In the summer I fill a large mug one third porridge oats then top up with milk and stir, leave it overnight. In the morning stir in what you like, honey, sugar, syrup, fruit then eat/drink! Yum with no fuss or mess.

Sometimes the 'just add hot water' instant sachets made in a mug again are lovely on a cold morning or even evening.

Excellent protein too! Typically one portion made with water is 10% of daily requirement.