ALL THINGS FOOD!

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Last night we had vegan irish stew with cabbage and garlic mash and a bottle of port . then watched some episodes of vikings , cushty

• Chicken curry rice and nan for me tonight, unfortunately I don't have a woodburner in this van to cook it on so it will be done in the oven:(

It's mainly packet of sauce with extra stuff added for the extra taste, it hopefully will be extra special as I got homegrown chillies from someone I built a greenhouse for

• ++++++++

Last night we had vegan irish stew with cabbage and garlic mash and a bottle of port . then watched some episodes of vikings , cushty

Oh it sounds yummm... I've never had VEGAN Irish stew, what was in it? Am interested as my girl is trying to cut as much dairy out of her diet as she can because her skin seems much better the more she can avoid. I LOVE port too!

• I like to start making home-made bread this time of year, using different flours and grains from time to time. Smells delicious throughout the place, and tastes great!

Also sometimes bake hot fruit buns, which are particularly yummy spread with a bit of butter and some home-made jam.

• I rarely buy or eat crisps, but now and then I buy a multipack (when on offer) 6 x £1.50 and the flavours I prefer. Buying anything at corner shops or service stations and they just mug us.

https://www.tesco.com/grocerie…MD_qZOL990CFVZIGwodjt8E2g

• ++++++++

Oh it sounds yummm... I've never had VEGAN Irish stew, what was in it? Am interested as my girl is trying to cut as much dairy out of her diet as she can because her skin seems much better the more she can avoid. I LOVE port too!

Bloody hell doing recipes now ( don't tell anyone I will loose any street cred that I might of had left)

2 onions

4 cloves of garlic

3 stalks celery chopped up

2 or 3 carrots cut into rings

3 spuds cut into chunks

can of guinness ( hurray )

300 ml vegan stock

tbsp thyme

tbsp rosemary

oil

whatever meat or replacement you want , frys vegan strips , mushrooms , turnip , whatever ,

we use old skool 1970s tvp soya chunks , just because you can have them stashed in the truck for years , and they cost fuck all , soak them in stock for half hour , drain and dry them then , put them in a bowl of flour salt pepper ,and coat them and then fry in a dry pan or little oil until browned

fry onion , garlic in oil in large pan ,add salt pepper

add veg and stir until all coated in the oil

add some flour tbsp or so stir it up a while

add beer and stock ,plus your tvp , or meat ,or whatever

bring to boil , turn down and cook for bout half an hour

season , serve with garlic mash , greens , cabbage , kale , ect

eat ,

then eat apple crumble with custard made with soya milk

then open a bottle of port , and no bedtime till its all gone

sorted

• Pure CLASS mate!

• Well you lot put me to shame, last night all I could muster was an egg sarni and an avocado and a pile of crisps, didnt have time to do a shop and was knackered after a busy day, at least it was a quality moran egg, proper malted seeded brown bread, and the only crisps I buy when I do are kettle chips, no other crisps will do. Tonight, things will have to improve.

But as an aside, I do love my food, I eat when I need to rather than the three meal a day regime, its equally important to give the body time to clear as much as it is to top up with food. I dont need a big meal every night and fair better by eating a bit leaner than a bit fatter, If I keep stuffing I end up feeling ike a bloated whale. Am mostly vegetarian 9 stone and reasonably healthy and fit with a high metabolism and the body feeds my brain with a strong sense of when to eat and what, when I crave cabbage I eat cabbage, If I crave steak I will have a steak, I eat fish more than meat. My go to quick healthy when dont need a big meal is two poached eggs on two slices of toast, salad, an avocado, maybe a lump of brie of I have any in the fridge, with homous, mayo, or Tzatziki which I generally have a tub in as it's so damn lush.

This time of year, I can feel the stews and broths coming on, makes life easier as a pan will last 3-4 days. The one ingredient that is a must that makes a stew is mushroom ketchup, and no it isnt a mushroom version of that god awful red shite, its along the line of worcester sauce but 100 times better. Just looked on the bottle I have in, it sais Geo,Watkins, established 1830 so the frim making it has been around a long time, and no the bottle I have isnt an original form 1830 :pp

• Not really a recipe but here's a funny story about stew , when I lived at tipi valley , one night I was in my mate tony's lodge and he cooked up this big stew anyway everyone ate , drank then slept next morning he has got the stew going on the fire and I looked at him and , he was chewing something trying to work out what it was , now tony only had a few teeth left and they were all black and broken ( roaded for motorhead , say no more) he looked over at me and said , "I don't remember putting mushrooms in the stew " at that point he pulled out the slug that he had been chewing on for the last 10 minutes , moral always cover your leftover stew

• I cooked a lovely Sunday beef joint diner for my ex-misus and kid. Tasting a little bitter. I poured on a little more gravy to disguise the bitterness. Turns out I had used coffee granuals instead of gravy granules. Not my best move.

I was overnighting in the woods in my youth. We had left my homemade coconut and bamboo bong leaning up against a log. First light we began to smoke it some more. Knowing full well by the slime trail up and over the coconut that a slug had taken shelter inside coconut air hole.

Yes we continued to smoke that bong for years, as we had originally hollowed it out through two of the tree carpel holes. So we couldn’t ever get the slug out without destroying the bong.

• I cooked a lovely Sunday beef joint diner for my ex-misus and kid. Tasting a little bitter. I poured on a little more gravy to disguise the bitterness. Turns out I had used coffee granuals instead of gravy granules. Not my best move.

Beef roasted in coffe is real nice, I seem to remember it being called Brazillian beef, lots of brown suger and tomato puree plus garlic,chilli etc in the mix.

• That’s where I went wrong then. I should have got out the brown sugar and told them to help themselves and avoided an expensive divorce.

Dont be giving em free reign on the brown sugar either , I had a tee-total ex user friend on the bus and offered her cofee which she gratefully accepted , then promptly fecked off to the firepit as I made it , not knowing if she wanted sugar or not I gave her the mug and told her 'theres a jar of brown next to the kettle',she went off and sweetened her drink , sat back down at the fire then a few minutes later coughed and spat exclaimng 'what the feck did you put in my coffee?' , SHE had loaded it with cous cous :eek:

• Got to love a good stew, mutton done very slowly is my favourite, anmd i love porridge but its the time it take sin the morning and the extra washing up it creates, a lot of effort just for one mouth to feed. Wouldnt it be amazing if humans could tele transport food by some kind of time travel machine so we could all share the load and time it takes. I do miss some food like a full on roast dinner, the time it takes to do it properly just for one person is usually more than the time and energy I have spare after a days graft.

• Got to love a good stew, mutton done very slowly is my favourite, anmd i love porridge but its the time it take sin the morning and the extra washing up it creates, a lot of effort just for one mouth to feed. Wouldnt it be amazing if humans could tele transport food by some kind of time travel machine so we could all share the load and time it takes. I do miss some food like a full on roast dinner, the time it takes to do it properly just for one person is usually more than the time and energy I have spare after a days graft.

The communal kitchen idea is a good one, cooking for 10 people isn't much more work than cooking for one in my experience but more washing up!

Don't mind food prep & cooking but can't stand at the sink long enough to wash up if theres any offers......

THIS is where microwaves come into their own,...one dish, oats, milk or water and 'ping' job done! All in one bowl in seconds and with no manky saucepan to wash!

• ...i love porridge but its the time it take sin the morning and the extra washing up it creates, ...

Time it takes to do porridge? WTF?

3 minutes is all it takes on high-speed gas.
    We soak rolled oats in the pan in cold water overnight, light up the gas, put in any more water/milk as required, and stir whilst cooking. Takes less than three minutes this way!

If you have only electric you can cheat by mixing the rolled oats with cold water/milk first, leave overnight, then pour boiling water in at breakfast-time to mix without lumps, leave a couple of minutes, and you're there. Not quite so good as with gas, not quite so hot, but okay.

As for extra washing up, you mean you don't scrape out the pan, then leave it to soak all day full of water? A quick brush-around and it's clean!