STOPTOBER..... anyone?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• C'mon guys, we all know tobacco is bad for many reasons - I'm only talking and interested in legal smoking here, nothing 'wacky' ok.:angel:

IS any one of you beautiful people giving it a go this month - giving up smoking, that is? Has anyone ALREADY done a Stoptober. How did you do it and why did you do it. I KNOW at LEAST one of you guys has done it and very successfully too! :cool:

A pack of 20 is just so expensive and I can't do it as 'benefits' don't stretch THAT far. well not if I want to eat as well. Not that I EVER smoked that much, used to be get in a pub with a drink THEN I'd want a cig. If I didn't go out in 8 month I wouldn't even dream of smoking. Don't like smelling like a dirty old ashtray now either, funny 'cos if anyone walks outside smoking I can smell it - must have been a sniffer dog in a previous life ay lol.- MY biggest incentive was having my buba and I banned everyone from lighting-up in the house, my ex was exiled into the garden if he wanted a roll-up. Must be six year since I bought any! :)

YES I KNOW...'Theres nothing worse than an ex-smoker!'.:o

• I quit 18 years ago also after 25 yrs smoking.I just stopped dead,no gradual reduction just binned it.It was affecting/has affected my health.

Difficult at first,I craved for a few months but typical ex smoker cant stand the stench of smoke or smokers and the yellow sepia hue of smokers decor. :D

I dont miss it.

• No go for me, like my rollies, bigbear, 50g of golden virginia in two days, feck me man, you just made me realise I aint a heavy smoker, cheers man, that lasts me over a fortnight. I'd be a miserable failure tring to give up, would need someone around 24/7 for several months and possibly more. I have given up before but after several weeks, I see others making a roll upand I'm on my knees drooling. I hate the smell of talior mades, they actually make me feel sick which is odd as I smoke a roll up, i can smell tailor made smokers much more than roll up smokers.

Good on anyone giving up if they want to and can manage it, but little pleasures in life are little pleasures in life.

• What I should of said is... It's my birthday on Sunday why the fuck would I want to give owt up in October, I'm going to be hopefully shitfaced and high....

I lightbringer request that you all do what the hell you like on my birthday.

• I hate the smell of talior mades, they actually make me feel sick which is odd as I smoke a roll up, i can smell tailor made smokers much more than roll up smokers.

Maybe you should try Capstan Navy Cut. Best tailor made ever but bloody dear, dread to think what they are now but back in the day I only smoked about 10 a day and only ever offered to good friends but for some reason they never had a second...........

After those I smoked Camel and Cafe Creme, the latter still tempt me for special occaisions but I can't be asked to return to such pleasure.

• Maybe you should try Capstan Navy Cut. Best tailor made ever but bloody dear, dread to think what they are now but back in the day I only smoked about 10 a day and only ever offered to good friends but for some reason they never had a second...........

After those I smoked Camel and Cafe Creme, the latter still tempt me for special occaisions but I can't be asked to return to such pleasure.

It's always the way, the small pleasures in life are always stamped out as being the worst. I remember Capstan Navy cut, like smoking old socks, as for old holburn, did that one for a little while but when I used to drink, having a doobie when got home with old holburn span me out so returned to the trusted G.V.

To b really honest, I would give quitting a good shot and could do it if I was with someone partner wise for the moral support as it's the one thing I know I would struggle with even though I know I am strong willed, have given up other things with no bother but I like me baccy.

• I knocked all smoking of anything around 5 years ago after attending far to many funerals of mates who never made 50

now I just drink special brew , rum , red wind , port , sloe gin instead happy days

• I knocked all smoking of anything around 5 years ago after attending far to many funerals of mates who never made 50

now I just drink special brew , rum , red wind , port , sloe gin instead happy days

Thats one reason why I stopped drinking, knowing folk who never made 50 because of it, even food kills people if they eat crap and over indulge, we cant win. Moderation and hope for the best is as good as it gets me thinks.

• What I should of said is... It's my birthday on Sunday why the fuck would I want to give owt up in October, I'm going to be hopefully shitfaced and high....

I lightbringer request that you all do what the hell you like on my birthday.

Go for it girl. Make it a wonderful birthday however you chose to Indulge, do so to your hearts content. Smoke, drink, eat, enjoy. Your only this age once.

• I gave up smoking in 2013 October the 13th and two weeks before my 50th brirthday. I didn’t fancy feeling rough or reaching out for that spliff, just to give myself a nicotine fix on my birthday or future daily low times. Nor did I want to make smoking about my birthday.

I did tell myself I would give it 5 years. See how I feel about a life of abstanance in the long run.

It wasn’t really too hard. I had given up alcohol 12 months before. Because like most smokers, enjoyment goes up with a fag and a drink. I also had to abstaine from smoking “anything” Again to break the addictive cycles and give myself the best chance of reaching the 5th Stoptober anniversary and then my 55th birthday. :D

So for any of you ready to quit this year, this stoptober, to take a break from smoking. Do it, do it for yourself. Don’t bullshit yourself. You can do it. You will have rough moments, you will get through them. Your health will improve in certain ways. You will not be paying £30 a week on tobacco and wishing you weren’t.

We will support you. There’s support out there to get you through the first few hard months. :whistle:

If stoptober is not for you, carry on. ;)

• That's all good advice and encouragement. I enjoy a roll up with my coffee and after dinner, probably do about 10 -15 a day, sometimes less sometimes more but it's not often it's more. I have no desire to live like a saint and am fully aware of the risks, risks come with a lot of things. I dont touch alcohol. I know I have an addictive personality, if I like something I can really like it too much, In my head I know it would be good for me to give up, but, part of my daily chill time involves a wee single skinner and reading whatever current book I have on the go, and no, a pipe does not have the same effect. I probably have two single skinners a day tops, one when I finish work for the day and one to go to bed with My treats, like chocolate or wine are others treats.

Now here's the contradiction and almost hypocrisy from the governemnt and health advisory agencies, In my mind alcohol is equally as damaging, the government and health advisory agencies advise that so many units of alcohol a day is fine, why this is not so with tobacco I do not know or understand why. The NHS probably spends as much funds on treating alcohol related illnesses and treating folk from the results of binging or fighting or accidental injuriues from larking about while drunk and it going wrong as they do on tobacco related illness/disease so why are they so down on it.

It's all about the money and taxes. they let us have tobacco and alcohol legally, If they had real compassion and cared about folks health then they could so easily ban it and make it illegal but as it's such a big tax revenue stream they dont ban it.

This is all true --- I was at the docs 2 years ago as they offered a cholesterol, bloods and urine check under their well man scheme as I had turned 50 and became eligable, so I went. all was very good and got top marks, also in the village pharmacy which is next door to the docs, they were running the NHS stop smoking scheme, so I actually went in, had to do a questionaire, then a breath test for the levels of C/O, resultscaused no concerns and were uite low for a smoker and my results were the same as a non smoker who lived in a vehicle busy part of London so what does that say, they dont offer schemes for people to get away from polluted cities so they dont breath in vehicle fumes all day. where I am parked it is very clean air compared to a city The very last question on the questionaire was do I smoke cannabis, I was totally honest with them, then I got asked would I give that up if I went on the scheme and get the extra support they offer, again truthfully I said no, on the back of that I got flat refused a place. I felt discriminated against but its their policy. I like a roll up when I fancy one hey ho.