Christmas countdown.........

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I love it when the supermarket's are cutting each others throats with their prices,i look out for thing's we need and buy them then.At the moment Morrison's are bashing out the beer at reasonable prices for those of you that like a tip up :insane:

I’m a sucker for better than half price, and putting essentials away in the cupboard. but checking same products price per 100g is by far the best way to judge a bargain.

Supermarkets often put on “offers” on, but previous weeks they might inflate a products price for 7 dasys to then Claim they are on offer and reduce the price.

• Yep I stock up when stuff I like is on its cycle of price drop, kettle chips, normal price £1,99, then every so often they go down to 99p, fill yer boots, when they go back up, then Tyrrells go down to 99p. Its always worth a visit to the supermarket when they re open after the main event. Can get some right royal treats for muchos cheap.

• Yep I stock up when stuff I like is on its cycle of price drop, kettle chips, normal price £1,99, then every so often they go down to 99p, fill yer boots, when they go back up, then Tyrrells go down to 99p. Its always worth a visit to the supermarket when they re open after the main event. Can get some right royal treats for muchos cheap.

When I last went into the Coop (Saturday) they had Walkers crisps 99pence,Tescon were 1.99 I bought some right wonky flavours, pigs in blankets roast parsnip bbq chicken wings,mango and chilli pompadoms ,I had to dip if at that price and they were all tasty except for the pigs in blankets tasted a bit greasy they would wouldn't they :D

• When I last went into the Coop (Saturday) they had Walkers crisps 99pence,Tescon were 1.99 I bought some right wonky flavours, pigs in blankets roast parsnip bbq chicken wings,mango and chilli pompadoms ,I had to dip if at that price and they were all tasty except for the pigs in blankets tasted a bit greasy they would wouldn't they :D

I really dont like walkers crisps, I ended up doing a quick shop at the village tesco express to get bread and a coupe of bits I need for a curry for the next few days so I didnt have to go to the biggie store, they had some tesco finest camembert and rosmary crisps for a quid for a big bag, dont bother with them, well I suppose some folk would like them, but they smell and taste like fruity old sock :insane:

• Generally I won't touch crisps, they're pisspoor value for the price compared to what they once were as less in the packet and are just chemically flavoured. Years back Smiths with the little bag of salt in were full and value for money but todays offerings are a ripoff.

If I see Tyrells veg crisps on offer I'll weaken, just glad that they don't do the beetroot ones on their own, they really are moorish :clown:

• Clearcast are duplicitous bastards and liars.They say theyre not regulators but theyre the company that clears all ads for all the major broadcasters since the ad regulation was privatised and no one can get ads on tv without their approval.

Non of this is to do with whether Greenpeace is political or not, Clearcast clear ads for WWF which is a political organisation.

HSBC has an 18 billion pound investment in palm oil,most of it in Indonesia and Papua New Guinea.

HSBC also has a major part in financing of weapons sales to Indonesia and Malaysia.

HSBC is a major player in BAe weapons systems and a number of US weapons companies and major food producers who use palm oil like Kraft.

HSBC lends almost all of the money to Clearcast for its operation(its its major creditor)it also owns the mortgage on its premises.

HSBC owns nothing major in WWF.

HSBC also substantially lends money to Iceland but Iceland isnt so dependent on or compromised by HSBC as Clearcast is.

Greenpeace actually arent trying to stop palm oil, theyre trying to change production policy to more sustainable cleaner methods and HSBC investments are all in 'dirty' environmentally destructive palm oil production.

If the respective far east countries cant sell palm oil theyve threatened to buy arms elsewhere and HSBC has its feet in both camps.

Clearcast shot themselves in the foot trying to avoid the anger of HSBC anyway because the ad was shared nearly half a million times in the first day of the news breaking via facebook and twitter.

So much for independent ad regulation...theyve been caught lying and done Greenpeace a huge favour in the process....suckers.

• Ah yes, the good old BBC Christmas!

Where do they find all this shyte?

Mostly recycling their own old shyte: I guess it makes Christmas a lot cheaper for them. Got to find the money for all those £100,000 plus salaries from somewhere.

The worst part of visiting relatives over Xmas is the crap they have on their 56" screen televisions....:cursing: You either have to try to have a shouted conversation over it, or just sit nodding daftly at lots of words you can't hear.

Luckily only got a couple of visits planned this year.....:thumbup::)

• In 1840 Christmas was all but washed up in the squalor of dark nights. Was it not for.the efforts of Charles Dickens writing a book in less than 6 weeks, A Christmas Carol, from page to publishing on the 19th December 1843. We might now be celebrating a totally different KIND of Christmas.

Sometimes it’s not a religion responsible, but what man makes of it. ‘Ba humbug’ ‘‘tis just a story and one that costs us dearly yearly.

• Luckily and blessedly so and as the same in an awful lot of past years, I have no xmas visits planned, the obligated ones are the worst, I am so glad I dont have to go trotting round rellies and suffering the bog standard issue xmas with the telly regurgitating the same old tripe, having to have my eyes assualted by the worst possible xmas jumpers imaginable and pretending to smile and be grateful at the most unsuitable tasteless present under the sun.

Right, memories of such horrendous presents, as a bloke with a few decades behind me as others here, at around the age of 14-17, who remembers getting those god awful bathroom sets of mens aftershave and and what was the other thing in the card board box, talcum powder ? usually it was karate or some such poison shit smeling after shave and a tub of something else, whatever, to me that was the most grim thing to ever get, you knew it was coming, was supposed to be exited and grateful, ask for black sabbath or led zeppelin albums, get a box of chemical poison. The year skate boards came out and I never got one created a bad air with parents for a while, remember that one folks, , but the funny thing was the fat lad in the village got one and jumped off the kerb with and landed flat square and broke a wheel off his.

• The BBC may be well known and respected for some of its productions but personally i detest it.

Its always been a propaganda outfit for the establishment,tells lies and spins false narratives to further their agenda and been a major part of instilling in the nation their totally false contrived image of Britishness.

Aunty Beeb wants you to be good little Britishers like us.

Theyre as much if not more responsible for manufacturing the standard boxed Christmas as Dickens is.At least Dickens was trying to make a difference in the poverty of his time.The BBC revels in ignoring it.

And they have the fucking audacity year after year to parade richly paid tax evading celebs that they pay fortunes to out of the license fee,to beg us to pay for their Children in Need scam.

Theyre no different to TV services in China or North Korea.

Sooner its sold off the better,since being a public broadcaster has done nothing whatsoever to make it impartial or fairly representative.

Bollox to the Beeb (keep your fucking Mrs Brown shite too)

• I havent had a t.v for years but I can only imagine the broadcasters still roll out the same old regurgitated shite year after year and I bet the xmas eve and day film viewing schedule hasnt changed much in the last 30 years. when I did see t.v it was the same old shite films year after year. I will give the beeb their due for radio though. Radio 4 does come up with the goods on a lot of stuff thats broadcast. Science and nature is top notch as is some of the unbiased world goings on. The moral maze, Any questions, In our time with Melvyn Bragg and Inside Science are superb broadcasts.

• Pretty illustrative of the BBC,in some areas of its production, it excels and rarely beaten by rivals.

Sadly the control and editorial side of its public face is and always has been,in its Establishment narrative and propaganda outlet for HMG.

Its only saving grace is its not infested with advertising like commercial broadcasters are;advertising and the shite quality of tv being the main reason i gave up my own TV a few years ago.

• Radio 4 is good but you do get repitition of news etc so I am mainly on 4 xtra with a good dash of 6 music.

On a side note Earl my grey has got very proficient at the time pips, so proficient in fact that he does them when the radio aint on at the CORRECT time (within 5 minutes mostly), one morning I stirred in the bunk and he started on the pips co I turned the radio on to see what time it was and the radio gave out the 6am pips as Earl was finishing , so he was about 5 seconds early !!

• Luckily and blessedly so and as the same in an awful lot of past years, I have no xmas visits planned, the obligated ones are the worst, I am so glad I dont have to go trotting round rellies and suffering the bog standard issue xmas with the telly regurgitating the same old tripe, having to have my eyes assualted by the worst possible xmas jumpers imaginable and pretending to smile and be grateful at the most unsuitable tasteless present under the sun.

Right, memories of such horrendous presents, as a bloke with a few decades behind me as others here, at around the age of 14-17, who remembers getting those god awful bathroom sets of mens aftershave and and what was the other thing in the card board box, talcum powder ? usually it was karate or some such poison shit smeling after shave and a tub of something else, whatever, to me that was the most grim thing to ever get, you knew it was coming, was supposed to be exited and grateful, ask for black sabbath or led zeppelin albums, get a box of chemical poison. The year skate boards came out and I never got one created a bad air with parents for a while, remember that one folks, , but the funny thing was the fat lad in the village got one and jumped off the kerb with and landed flat square and broke a wheel off his.

Ha...I remember those chemical warfare sets...Hi Karate and Brut mostly.Fucking awful patterned Cardigans and Jumpers and pyjama sets and stayprest slacks and penny round collared shirts cramming the Christmas gifts aisles in the department stores.

Cringeworthy Christmases Im glad Ive left in the past.

Apart from the Food and Chocolate being better I dont miss them.