Christmas countdown.........

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• im not convinced fruit is all that good for you anyway, its full of sugar. any sugar natural or not doesnt do your teeth any good and the vitamin content apart from vit c isnt that high.

theres loads more vitamins in a tin of energy drink and probably just as much sugar

• im not convinced fruit is all that good for you anyway, its full of sugar. any sugar natural or not doesnt do your teeth any good and the vitamin content apart from vit c isnt that high.

theres loads more vitamins in a tin of energy drink and probably just as much sugar

What the flippinecky has that got to do with Xmas?

Stop ruining Akasha' s thread.

Don't make me be having words with you Pyke :rolleyes: I love Xmas.

• Christmas has it's proper roots in the celebration of the winter solstice and the knowledge that the year has turned and we are going back into the light. That's how I celebrate my 'Christmas'. The commercial grey and beige masses can do what they like, I fill my place with greenery and candles and light a big fire. My son lives a long way from me but my daughter comes and spends the day eating all my food and drinking all my drink and we see friends. It's a simple affair, doesn't cost a lot but is a happy time, especially as from the solstice onward you know that no matter what the weather throws at you spring is coming and summer follows.

• Christmas has always been a big deal for my family. There was 28 of us at the last count. There's been some new arrivals and one dearly departed. Over the years with my generation growing up and getting married and having there own family the gathering has gotten smaller. Most years it's the only time I get to catch up with some of them, I don't live within visiting distance for some of them.

This year will also be a sad occasion as it will be the whole families first Christmas without my granny. Guess that's my crimbo box of wine and 40 gags out the window;)

• Christmas has always been a big deal for my family. There was 28 of us at the last count. There's been some new arrivals and one dearly departed. Over the years with my generation growing up and getting married and having there own family the gathering has gotten smaller. Most years it's the only time I get to catch up with some of them, I don't live within visiting distance for some of them.

This year will also be a sad occasion as it will be the whole families first Christmas without my granny. Guess that's my crimbo box of wine and 40 gags out the window;)

?(

• Mr Kipling Festive Bakewells...do I NEED an excuse...NO!

IS it EVER TOO early for a festive bakewell...NO!

Whats different I hear you say, well not a lot to be honest except they've took off the cherry a replaced it with crunchy red, white and green sprinkles - they look VERY nice.

Would you like one...NO CHANCE...THIS big, fat, mummy has just eaten EVERY ONE!!!

YUMMMMM!!! :pp[piggy]  

• I have a bit of a dilemma. I've a cousin much older than me, so much so I call her 'aunt'. She lives in Australia now and has done since the early 70's, her own daughter is a year or so older than me but we grew up together...now my cousin is very much my only extended family. We write a couple of times a year or so and exchange a gift at Christmas. She lives alone now since her husband died but lives in an 'oldies' village. Her longtime interest has been birds but loves animals too.

I NEED a gift idea please, something I can legally send, something suitable to post but won't cost me the earth in postage and, preferably, something to do with/about birds!

HELP! [panic]:shrug::shrug::shrug:

• I think all Christmas songs should be banned in public, including the airwaves, until at least December 1st.

Along with Xmas decorations and Xmas adverts and promotions in public places, including shops and stores. Cards would be okay to be on sale after November 1st, as sometimes these are sent abroad.

• I havent really wanted Christmas at anytime in the last 40 years, it would suit me if it had been forgotten along with the Romans, until I felt the magic in our little’n these last few weeks. Each and everyone of us have different views on these things.

I no longer see Christmas as a religious event. I think it’s a cultural celebration and though it sickens me to feel pressurised to spend money we don’t really have on tat and gifts folk usually don’t need and don’t want and to see waste peddled on every turn of the advent Callander. It’s easy to forget we are not alone. Far too many look forward to Christmas for what it is now and how it has evolved.

• I havent really wanted Christmas at anytime in the last 40 years, it would suit me if it had been forgotten along with the Romans, until I felt the magic in our little’n these last few weeks. Each and everyone of us have different views on these things.

I no longer see Christmas as a religious event. I think it’s a cultural celebration and though it sickens me to feel pressurised to spend money we don’t really have on tat and gifts folk usually don’t need and don’t want and to see waste peddled on every turn of the advent Callander. It’s easy to forget we are not alone. Far too many look forward to Christmas for what it is now and how it has evolved.

I love the thought of folk doing their own version of Christmas without going all consumerist and adding to the waste pile it creates but the standard issue version is so shoved in yer face and is barely ignorable, thats what does my nut. I hate standard issue music radio so dont get assualted with the shit xmas songs but its everywhere else. I remember last year it was the second weekend in December and had to go to the local caravan centre to do exchange on my gas bottle, at the till thye had the worst of the xmas songs on loop, well I cringed and the lady at the till frowned and cursed, she said they dont get a choice as the owner insists they have it playing all day everyday for the 2.5 weeks leading up to xmas, she was intensley pissed off as she said she has to stand there all day every days 6 days a week with that going off in her lughole. After two days of that I would seriously do some damage to the machine playing it.

You can get fully engrained and be a fully paid up member of mainstream xmas but you try and avoid it, its iike a kid trying to avoid a kiss from a mouldy smelling wrinkly old Aunt, you just cant get away from it :whistle:

• Getting back to a simple “waste free” Christmas should be on most of our agendas. Small steps.

I’ve not been to the pub around Christmastime in over ten years. I’ve not entered a Town or City to Christmas shop in more than 5 years.

However, I do understand how the arrival of dedicated Christmas shelves in the local coop etc can repulse the soul. The conveyor belt of push for purchase seasonal buys, seem to speed up my experience of the year. No sooner have we got Christmas out the way, it’s new year sales, then Easter, then BBQ time and sun cream. Olympics, World Cup. Halloween, Bonfire night. Guess what comes next?

If Christmas shop displays were all year round, we would probably treat it like we do the new year sales and only engage with bargains.

I’m not sure if these commercial timelines are contributing to speeding up my perception time? The years now fly by. Once upon a time school holidays took a year to come round. Now it’s always half term, inset day, or some other reason kids are off school. Saying that I really can’t remember when the last leap year was.

• No sooner have we got Christmas out the way, it’s new year sales, then Easter, then BBQ time and sun cream. Olympics, World Cup. Halloween, Bonfire night. Guess what comes next?

Not forgetting Valentines and the 'black friday' (?) thingy plus a few others I am sure.

I too have not been in a town pub or done seasonal retail therapy for at least a decade.