A tentative welcome

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• From what I sensed AW went off from here as the main topics that interested him ended up being frowned upon if they were brought up, damn shame on that score as a bit of political talk is all part of life that affects us all. Miss his chat as he was a contributor and not a lurker.

• Not io into politics myself so understand where steve is coming from. I always enjoyed reading his posts as he is an interesting guy who has had an interesting life and has done some cool stuff.

Hope you read this my friend and come back soon :flowerpower:

• From what I sensed AW went off from here as the main topics that interested him ended up being frowned upon if they were brought up, damn shame on that score as a bit of political talk is all part of life that affects us all. Miss his chat as he was a contributor and not a lurker.

Yes, this.

This is part of the reason I now think classifiedcampers.com was a bit of a mistake on my part -- whatever anyone says, the people on here respond more to the political / news stuff than they do to posts about off grid living -- and almost everyone who showed that initial enthusiasm has gone.

As I said, if I can find a suitable domain I'll have one last ditch attempt at changing again -- but at some point I may need to concede that I'm flogging a dead horse.

• There is a positive in everything paul and floigging a dead horse is certainly better than flogging a live horse which would make you into being a twat !!

Fingers are crossed for you and for those who enjoy the fruits of your labours,bonne chance mon ami xx

• Being realistic i doubt its possible to regenerate the site a third time but doesnt mean you shouldnt try.

The change in forum software to a non user friendly site drove a lot of regular users away.

Changing to Classified Campers and pruning out,closing or locking interesting threads like 'show us your home' and many many others kind of sealed its fate.

If folk cant talk about what theyve always come here to talk about,they wont come.

Politics is always part and parcel of life,life is dictated in every aspect by politics -like it or not- so banning discussion altogether wont work.

The only problem here a few months ago was the politics of Brexit itself was overshadowing everthing else and there was an ugly intolerant unappealing atmosphere surrounding it....which in itself puts average folk with no political interest,right off.

Two years + of discussing how to revitalise a failing site tells everyone new and old whats wrong and what no one wants to accept.

You can put on rose tinted spectacles and exude positivity until the cows come home,if people dont use the site in large numbers its got no lasting future.

I think a last ditch attempt at rebirth is exactly what it will be

Good luck,Ill support that,but it will have to be a barnstormer or this place is history.I dont want to see it go the same way as Tribal Living,the difference though is Tribal Living had no financial support so its demise was kind of inevitable.

Music and contempory culture drive site popularity and neither are present here to any noticeable degree let alone any noticeable alternative flavor.What there was got shut down.A near death experience or museum like nostalgia isnt what most people want.That applies to most fora and social media not just here.It just becomes conservative and boring which is why facebook is haemorrhaging younger members.

Maybe thats the problem with hippy counter culture, its conservative staid and boring from younger perpectives.Its definitely one of the things that puts me off so im sure must figure in their deliberations.

Ground up rebuild is whats needed here now.

Di occhi belli ne è pieno il mondo,ma di occhi che ti guardano con sincerità e amore, c'è ne sono pochi. :hippy:

The post was edited 9 times, last by NomadicRT ().

• The change in forum software to a non user friendly site drove a lot of regular users away.

Which I find strange because I find this software way more user-friendly - it's more compatible with smartphones, has more features and better security.

The old software was out of date by several years and any attempt to upgrade (rather than move platform) would actually have left us with fewer features.

• That may well be the case but that didnt stop people leaving because they couldnt deal with the new site user interface as opposed to the kind theyre used to on other forums that use more common software.

You also were forced to ditch some things like tapatalk which is one smartphone app that simplifies forums and the ukh app.

You are also far more adept at dealing with software than the average forum user.

Ive gotten used to it and its better now than the pink ukh version pre CC i had visual issues with but i can think of a few regulars who simply gave up with it.

Past history though.Whats more important is finding a way forward.

Di occhi belli ne è pieno il mondo,ma di occhi che ti guardano con sincerità e amore, c'è ne sono pochi. :hippy:

The post was edited 2 times, last by NomadicRT ().

• Twas the 12 quid fee that put me off. I liked ukhippy very much but could not justify the charge with regards to the small amount of time I spend on the site.

Ukhippy was the best forum and internet place to chill that I ever came across xx

• 25p a week isnt excessive and Paul had to finance the site somehow without advertising.

But it is a big detracting factor when you dont have 12 quid to spare.

• If I used the site throughout the year chris and had internet connection full time I would agree that it is not excessive,but for someone that gets a few weeks or so a year of wifi via clients and cafe's it does not make for sensible economising and certainly is quite a distance down my list of financial respoonsibilities.

I need to justify my spendings as only work ten to twelve weeks a year and must live of that for the rest of the year so was much happier giving a donation from time to time when I was a bit flush.

Apart from a couple of ex pat forums in france that I used for practical purposes to help me live and survive , ukhippy was the only forum that I ever visited as it was the only one that I could relate to and fancied spending a bit of my spare time.

I hope sincerely that paul can create something similar again and if not then good memories of what we had will stay with me. xx

• My choices are:

Stay as we are and plod along with 30 people a day logging in.

Close -- either now or in a few months when the bills are due. But members have paid and that in itself would leave a bad taste in people's mouths. I could partially refund, but because I have paid some bills already I just can't afford to do that in one hit.

Go back to the vbulletin software -- but we would lose a year's worth of posts and memberships because of the database -- there's no way to reverse import from this system to an older one.

Go back to UKHippy using this system, as before

Rebrand again, finding a new name like cosmicfuckwits.com or something :D

• what ever you want to do Paul i cannot say anything about somebody who runs a site i could not do it nobody can please everybody as for refunds if it came to that you could put mine in a charity box or get yourself a beer

• Once learned, I've had no issues with the site software interface, other than messaging and the like wasn't quite so obvious to start with.

So if you changed domains, I don't think you'd need to change the software.

When too many things get changed at once folk up and run, as they maybe can't handle it.

One step at a time, dear jesus, is probably the best way to change stuff.

• I dont think theres any merit in going backwards to the old system now.Its done move on.

30 people a day is better than non.

ClassifiedCampers clearly hasnt worked and anything new at this stage is uncharted territory and a risk.

UKH did at least work and had lots to appeal to everyone(even if some folks resent the hippy connotation.) plus you dont have to call it ukh or hippy anything.

Being a non specific site( unllike what CC is) you can flesh it out with other interest sections ie expand the vegan section, music scene(maybe split the music section to genres rather than a random melange of youtube clips),What about adding a radio stream.Theres also a huge range of non mainstream stuff that gets on places like soundcloud etc.Open the lifestyle section and bring back the arts crafts hobbies blogs health and spiritual stuff.?

Whatever you do i dont want a refund if you closed it.Id rather you just do what you think you can to make it work.

A name centred around fuckwittery seems fairly appropriate(probably get censored in search engines though) aint life a beach.

Since this site is about visitors and storytelling and maybe a little partying at times why not just something simple like

Ceilidh / Cèilidh / Célidhe

(the word doesnt necessarily mean a dance as in its contemporary useage,its actually a gathering of visitors and all kinds of things mulled over)

Just another idea.

The post was edited 5 times, last by NomadicRT ().

• Yeah I am no computer bod but have found the new site a lot easier to use with my phone (which is my only computer) than ukh, this is the only forum I have been on and I feel at home more on cc than ukh which had to many twats on it for my liking,again I hope this site evolves but if not keep my cash Paul no bad feelings

• I dont mind the layout at all, didnt take long to get used to. These databases are pretty self explanatory as the tabs etc tell you whats what, its not hard to navigate at all, I dont see why it should have been difficult.

I agree with you NomadicRT, the whole table of subject sections needs broadening out to cover more stuff and bring back other popular boards.

As I mentioned before it needs something to attract in younger generations and others form a wider spread of the alternative, plus as I said, the alternative and the mainstream are becoming merged as larger chunks of the population are taking more notice of the different ways of being and living which is only a good thing as the biggest changes for good is when people change their own lives and ways. Appealing to this would widen the scope to attract more folk in rather than appealig to a smaller more older specific demographic. More craft stuff, more home stuff focusing on natural remedies and recipies, herb lore etc. Also a scene aiming for spirituality, light and energy workers etc looking at different aspects of belief and what people are working towards for a better enlightenment and insights into the deeper aspects of life and the never ending learning of what it means to be a real human being, this is really lacking and its one thing that has always pulled me into discussion, sharing and learning from each other, it lacks here as it is. Just before UKH closed, this was thriving ina way, as we had people like Max, miss his posts and thoughts and ideas etc he brought up for discussion. People are looking for this type of stuff and an awful lot of people are living it, appeal to this then it will as likely open the doors as folk who are working towards a better way of living and being just would not put themselves in the bracket of 'hippy'. I know I dont, What I see and live and strive to be is far more than hippy, its not an earthbound thing, its an inner spiritual being thing with a greater force than what a genre of people like hippy, punk, goth, emo, biker etc stands for

Maybe as far as a name goes, something along the lines of or incorporating 'new seeds', to cover growth, moving forward to new better things which needs to happen even more now than ever.

Can we rebuild, Paul can change the name, alter the data base to suit a wider demographic but it's down to members to be on a forum like this, we fester and watch it die or step on it and make all the suggestions under the sun and contribute to find something that could make it work.

• If you open up the site topics back to the variety ukh had and add more and mass mail members youll likely get more stick around.

Maybe run a vote on what to call the site with no name.

One thing is certain,it will have to be done soon as summer is coming and folks rightly dont bother much with social media.

• If you open up the site topics back to the variety ukh had and add more and mass mail members youll likely get more stick around.

Maybe run a vote on what to call the site with no name.

One thing is certain,it will have to be done soon as summer is coming and folks rightly dont bother much with social media.

That sounds dangerously close to a referendum ...

[panic]

For what it's worth, Paul, I donated my £12, knowing that it was a bit of a punt. You've done what you can and if, in the end, you decide you cannot make this work I shall not be chasing you for a refund either and shall not think the worse of you for keeping it. In my opinion you've earned this one.

The very best bit for me about being on here and UKH before it is actually having the opportunity to meet new people in real life. I can genuinely say I feel a connection with everyone I've met at Dovedale that I did not, for example, feel in the slightest when I went along to a boating group meet-up for the first time a month or so ago. The group of boaters may be funny and interesting people online, but in real life ... let's just leave it that I don't feel the need to go back and refresh those contacts in the way I hope to be able to do again this year at Dovedale.

Good luck whatever!