A tentative welcome

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• My next step, which may take a while, is to create some new forums.

I'm thinking one for boaters, if we have enough posts to get things going, and one for wild camping and other non-vehicle based nomadism.

Maybe a "found on the web" forum too, for people looking to buy - rather than keeping ebay finds to a single thread.

Unless anyone has better suggestions?

• Alternative hippy / new age dating could be something as although this is no longer hippyish as before there could be a niche outside of the clone sites which charge stupid fn money to message after sucking you in for free. If you don't kick the arse out of it it may work BUT the door opens for all sorts.

The Forum banner with the skull and crossbones doesn't do it for me. I know what's in here but IMO the average peep will avoid it even for advertising.

• I think theres a fair number of folks who trek around on foot or cycle so non vehicle nomadism is a good one,incorporate bushcraft, camping gear, hiking,outdoor cooking,off the beaten track simple living stuff.

Not everyone wants a truck with a walk-in fridge freezer.

The benders yurts tipi folks seem to be ignored everywhere except Fakebook and IMO a horsedrawn living section would be poplier :D

Di occhi belli ne è pieno il mondo,ma di occhi che ti guardano con sincerità e amore, c'è ne sono pochi. :hippy:

The post was edited 1 time, last by NomadicRT ().

• As already stated above, bushcraft/walking/wildcamping is growing in popularity. Of course there are already sites devoted purely to this, but maybe worth exploring.

You can only accomplish your object in life by complete disregard of the opinions of other people.

• Alternative hippy / new age dating could be something as although this is no longer hippyish as before there could be a niche outside of the clone sites which charge stupid fn money to message after sucking you in for free. If you don't kick the arse out of it it may work BUT the door opens for all sorts.

The Forum banner with the skull and crossbones doesn't do it for me. I know what's in here but IMO the average peep will avoid it even for advertising.

Yep get you on this, am glad the hippy image front page and banner has gone, in my opinion and it's not a slur and am so not knocking the actual person, we all got to eat, the pic of the girl shovelling in a fork full of food into a wide open mouth was so not attractive as a front page pic.

In real terms the skull and crossbones pic does speak more of a logo a bikers forum might have. It's early days though so folks views count to suggest coming up with something else. s everyone is different and coming in form different angles, what i would put up as a banner pic is bound to be different to what 10 others would have. for me personally, it would be a logo of a classic old skool NAT bus or truck, deffo not a modern factory build, but both are very valid here. Maybe a logo of one of each facing each other.

As for a dating section, what always comes to mind is two people going on a date or meeting up is a bit awkward if they are living 550 miles apart, would be better to have one here than for folk to dive into a mainstream dating site for the masses.

• Sounds good, Paul. I’m not keen on any form of dating site involvement. The crap that it will bring with the bullshiter’s out for a jump, the trolls and the creeps will keep me away from the site. We have our own way of telling our story on here and once upon a time we even had a button to show your interested in a forum member. How many that hippies brought together I don’t know.

I don’t see a need for horses/horse drawn folk either. Again this will bring prim and proper hair straightener arguments at dawn types. Those horsedrawn who would fit in well with the Nomadic/offgrid element of the site, would already be hoovered up by what the site has on offer already or is proposed. We can’t be all things to all folks and the more we get watered down the less of a attractive niche we become.

• Sounds good, Paul. I’m not keen on any form of dating site involvement. The crap that it will bring with the bullshiter’s out for a jump, the trolls and the creeps will keep me away from the site. We have our own way of telling our story on here and once upon a time we even had a button to show your interested in a forum member. How many that hippies brought together I don’t know.

I don’t see a need for horses/horse drawn folk either. Again this will bring prim and proper hair straightener arguments at dawn types. Those horsedrawn who would fit in well with the Nomadic/offgrid element of the site, would already be hoovered up by what the site has on offer already or is proposed. We can’t be all things to all folks and the more we get watered down the less of a attractive niche we become.

Am with you there on the dating section here , and female members here really would not want dick pics sent as an invite, I wouldnt want blokes sending them to the girls on here either.

• Ive tried out dating sites in the past but just found them full of bullshitters and stopped using them.I dont think a dating section on here would be any different.It will just attract more bullshitters who have no real interest in what the site is for IMO.

I have to say that was one element of the old site that made me cringe,reading sime of the 'desperate to be loved and anyone will do' type content.Theres also the potential for harassment when folk misunderstand interactions on forums.

Ive seen that on fakebook mobile living groups and desperado folk trying to arrange meets simply to find a partner then getting really nasty when folk dont turn up.Unpleasant.

Plenty of alternative dating sites about without adding one here.

I take AWs point about horse drawn,Id like to see the bow top dweller type folks but inevitably the well heeled horsey folk i cant stand would come here so maybe not a good idea.

The whole point of this new site was to keep the nomadic/vehicle/convo/offgrid stuff accessible and build on it since (on the whole) most members found the hippy content unpalatable and didnt associate with it, if youre going to start diverifying into a wide range of unconnected forum topics youll just end up back where we were with UKH.

Di occhi belli ne è pieno il mondo,ma di occhi che ti guardano con sincerità e amore, c'è ne sono pochi. :hippy:

The post was edited 1 time, last by NomadicRT ().

• Awww.....a man with a heart!:angel:

Aw thankee kindly, I cannot stand all the crap one hears about how predatory natured some forums and dating sites get with the stalking and unwanted naked pics blokes send, it shows up exactly what sort of people they are by doing stuff like that, it's bang out of order and puts a terrible slur on the good ones out there who are genuine. A few folk have said hip forums is just that, full of old creeps/pervy types thinking its acceptable to send such pics and hit on the females who are signed up. Since the internet has filtered into everyday life, so has all this stuff as its been made easy for these types to sit behind a screen and have direct access to peoples message inboxes. I completely fail miserably to understand why sending a d-i-c-k pic seems an acceptable thing to do by those who do it and I am sure its certainly not welcomed by females. what folk do by consent is another matter really but to do this stuff as an act of hitting upon someone should be at least reportable, and it just seems to be by modern phones and screens, cant say I've seen or heard of blokes walking up to a female in a bar and introduce himself by getting his wanger out, so why do it by on line message or mail, perhaps its the anonimity of it and some severe shortcomings in their character.

So to say having a dating section on here where it is likely it could attract some unsavoury behaviour is a no from me. If it was wanted and got set up how could it be monitered etc, one complaint and the offender gets a lifetime ban I suppose. I can see how it would suit alternative folk as the mainstream places are a minefield, having an in-house dating section is not a guarantee that such unsavoury behaviour will not happen. There really does need to be a place where females can feel safe being a member on an active forum without receiving unwanted mail/ attention/messages from any type of perv or weirdo lurking behind a screen.

• Just quickie from me. I'm not a fan of the skull and crossbones. In it's place its a good image but I don't think it's a good image for the front page of this site.

The DIY (self build) forum affiliated to Motorhome Fun (mostly white van's but a lot of self builders too) has just closed down very unexpectedly. There are a lot of very disappointed self builders on there who've been left high and dry. I know they'd welcome an alternative but I also know that if I suggested this place the skull and crossbones logos would put them off joining and paying the subs. If we would like more members then I think we have to sho

w that we are as inclusive as possible. I like it here very much but I don't identify in one bit with skull and crossbones. If i'd stumbled across this site it would put me off for sure.

If it's a classified camper site then the logo should match that. (in my very humble opinion)

• Loving the new site & it's content. I'm a big fan of smilies & there are a really good choice of them. Its easy to navigate, I like the fonts, the sizing, the colours. Its very organised & tidy & clear.

A great mixture of topics & knowledge.

Very affordable & worth every penny.

I'm neutral on the skull & crossbones. Its not my thing but it's unlikely people would judge by it. It goes well with the red CC.

It's catchy & edgy. It stands out. I can see the thought process behind it & I think it achieves.

The whole package delivers.

I've said it before & I'll say it again ...

The bloke is a genius :D