Anyone got any advice or recommendations on having a truck transported?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hi everyone, due to circumstances out of our control we need to move our new lorry before the date of my partner's driving test. Has anyone got any advice on how we could do this? Based in the Sheffield area if that helps. Thank you all!:*

• Hi everyone, due to circumstances out of our control we need to move our new lorry before the date of my partner's driving test. Has anyone got any advice on how we could do this? Based in the Sheffield area if that helps. Thank you all!:*

Depends on the size , but when I bought my tk horsebox it was a non runner , and I paid £250 for it to be transported from birmingham to essex on a recovery truck , found the guy on ebay

• sorry yeah that was a bit dense of me! She's an 89 Leyland roadrunner, just under 7.5 tonnes taxed and insured but no MOT until my partner passes her test, so it'd have to be the old "on the way to the test station routine!"

• If its has no MOT theres no way it will be taxed.

Road Tax no longer passes on with the vehicle to the new owner it ends with the old owner and the new owner is responsible for taxing it.

You wont be able to tax it without an current MOT.

If its not taxed it must be on SORN and not on a public road.

Without an MOT orvtax it wont be insurable except purely for fire and theft while parked/stored on private land.

Tax MOT and insurance databases are all linked so they all know.

You wont get far with the 'on the way to the test station' as an excuse for avoiding a huge fine and possible confiscation of the vehicle if its driven with no MOT or tax and every main road has ANPR.Not worth the risk.

Average vehicle collection and delivery on transporter basic will cost £250 some charge fuel mileage on top.

Some advertise on ebay or check on Yell.

An old Leyland Roadrunner is nothing like modern 7.5 tonners that are fairly easy to drive.They prehistoric compared to modern trucks.

I doubt she will pass her test and jump into the Leyland and feel comfortable driving it.Get someone qualified and used to driving trucks to go with her for everyones safety.

• If the previous owner still has it insured, the driver could use their other vehicle entitlement on their own insurance to move it for you before the ownership is transferred to you, at which time you need your own insurance and sny remaining road tax becomes invalid.

• Except that you ARE allowed to take it for testing with no tax ......

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q600.htm

That doesnt mean across country past several (dozens) of nearer MOT stations and it still needs to be insured.Technically with no MOT or tax its not insured unless your insurance has specifically agreed to provide third party only cover.Good luck with that with a newly qualified driver and claiming for any accident or loss.

And as the link says you can still be prosecuted for driving with serious faults.

Back of a transporter is cheaper than a shed load of fines and fluffing your license out with lots of points.

• We're only talking a journey of about five miles, and the nearest test centre is past the place we're moving her to. I'd assumed you would be able to tax the vehicle prior to mot in order to move it, but yes already insured third party. As for how it drives, really doesn't seem too bad at all aside from the size of the vehicle. That is only based on driving around the industrial estate where she's been stored however! Not particularly keen on a transporter if we can avoid it as the new location has a pretty tight entrance as it is. Thanks for all of your advice we will seriously consider it and I'll look up some transport companies on eBay as well.

• Why not ask the MOT station if they can collect the vehicle for a small fee, test it, and then return it to your new location? If all goes to plan that’s two birds one stone and one bill ??

It's no use shouting about who's to blame, when all that counts is how to change...

• If you made that all clear from the start youd have gotten appropriate advice as DieselDog said.If its only five miles you can ligitimately book it in for MOT at a station near you that deals with class 7 trucks as well as vans (Not all stations and garages have big ramps or roof height to deal with large 7.5 ton box vans) and get someone else who is covered to drive other vehicles to drive it to the test station for you.

Alternatively get a garage that does Class 7 tests and repairs to recover it for you to their premises on trade plates to do the test and return it to your new location.Youll have to pay for that obviously but may be cheaper than a transporter.

• That doesnt mean across country past several (dozens) of nearer MOT stations and it still needs to be insured.Technically with no MOT or tax its not insured unless your insurance has specifically agreed to provide third party only cover.Good luck with that with a newly qualified driver and claiming for any accident or loss.

And as the link says you can still be prosecuted for driving with serious faults.

Back of a transporter is cheaper than a shed load of fines and fluffing your license out with lots of points.

There is no obligation to go to the nearest MOT test station, as long as you are driving to a pre-booked appointment, and you can prove it, you are legal even if its 200 miles away.

HOWEVER you are going to have the strength of character and the right sort of temperament to be able to argue that with a highly opinionated motorway traffic cop on a mission. I found the line "OK officer you are going to have to show me in writing where it says that because when I checked that with the AA legal dept before we left they said it was legal" usually worked.

You are right though, its not worth it, back of a transporter every time

• I bought my bus with no MOT from a seller 60 odd miles from home and drove it back to a local garage for a pre booked test, insured via Flux prior to journey . No problems at all driving it there but it did fail on indicators and brake lights :o

• There is no obligation to go to the nearest MOT test station, as long as you are driving to a pre-booked appointment, and you can prove it, you are legal even if its 200 miles away.

HOWEVER you are going to have the strength of character and the right sort of temperament to be able to argue that with a highly opinionated motorway traffic cop on a mission. I found the line "OK officer you are going to have to show me in writing where it says that because when I checked that with the AA legal dept before we left they said it was legal" usually worked.

You are right though, its not worth it, back of a transporter every time

You want to risk driving your new pride and joy across country through numerous anpr cameras and it fails on something major,enjoy your time explaining why you drove a dangerous vehicle 200 miles on public road and invalidated your insurance doing so,that would be fun...say goodbye to your license too as the points pile up.

'Doh! Wish id used a recovery service'