Any freecylers on here?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I joined a freecycle group ten years ago and weekly receive emails of items offered. I’ve recieved a few useful things over the years and got rid of some unwanted tat on there too. The problem I find with the freecycle group I joined is that it’s County wide and free items offered could be upto 30+ miles away.

However two weeks ago I was offered a Smeg stainless gas oven, and although was 10 years old, had spent the last 6 years in storage in the garage. Ebay had similar used smeg ovens for sale starting around the £350 mark. The only problem with this gas cooker was one of the gas ring surrounds had gone missing, but a full replacement set online could be bought for £20 and the genuine part would cost less than £30.

Anyway. I didn’t except the gas cooker as it was 600mm wide and the cooker in the wagon is only 550mm side. Not fancying taking out or moving a adjacent cupboard and all the faffing about with the 27mile journey.

Today I got a email about a drone going free. It’s a parrot AV drone. Not sure what model/year/series. But I’m only 6 miles away. I emailed the guy earlier and he has offered it to me. So now I’m parked just down the road from him, waiting for a meet up at the pre arranged time. I will let you know what the outcome of this mission is.

• I am part of a local group. Ive never had anything useful, but ive got rid of some stuff on there from house/garage clearances etc. Too good to bin and saved disposal costs

Anything of any use seems to be snapped up by the same half dozen people, and usually a very similar item turns up on the local sale groups a few days later.

Good luck with the drone!

• Wow. So chuffed. I ended up in the “posh” part of town. What a cool bit of kit. It looks like it’s Parrot AV version 01. Indoor outdoor quad drone. it has 2 imbedded cameras. Basic live Video and camera, WiFi to the Ipad/iPhone and flight control. Came complete “in the box” apart from user manual/paper work. The single battery 1000mha is good for 12minutes of flight. Ebay have 2000mha batteries x 2 = £30 so 30 mins plus flight time/video recording. It’s a toy and it’s now my toy.

Best thing about it I will be able to see/follow the three legged Muntjac deer into to copse down the bottom of the field.

I know drones piss a lot of folk off, (I will try not to) but there’s a view point I just can’t get to, that I could only really appreciate when I worked on trees.

Take a look

• I am part of a local group. Ive never had anything useful, but ive got rid of some stuff on there from house/garage clearances etc. Too good to bin and saved disposal costs

Anything of any use seems to be snapped up by the same half dozen people, and usually a very similar item turns up on the local sale groups a few days later.

Good luck with the drone!

There is plenty of items given away on freecycle that “could” be sold on. But that’s not in keeping with the spirit. Re-offering items nolonger needed/wanted on freecycle is the way to go.

I came away from meeting the guy thinking what a good buzz it must be to just pass on stuff. No hassle with PayPal or mongrels wanting to make ridiculously cheeky offers. No popping to the post office.

Make your day, give something away! My new mantra. :)

• I have put loads of items on freecycle, rather than straight to landfill,I enjoy giving back to the community that helped me.. usually its kids stuff that has been grown out off..

You hear tails of people getting great stuff from it, but if you just got a house and need basic items this is the place to start.

• its funny, years ago i would be able to pick up anything in the local skip our landfill ...but go into it now and am looking at a ban to get into recycle centres... how things have changed... name calling to a modern unwanted list in 20 years :insane:

• its funny, years ago i would be able to pick up anything in the local skip our landfill ...but go into it now and am looking at a ban to get into recycle centres... how things have changed... name calling to a modern unwanted list in 20 years :insane:

very true, I earned my skiprat colours when I was still a school kid. I think it all started to go “red tape” when they privatised recycling points and tips. It’s better for them to collect it and sell it on mass or bury it in the ground and pretend life’s all pretty.

• Gotta laugh at the irony really... Years ago nobody gave a fuck about recycling or the damage to the planet and you could help yourself to anything the tip had to offer.

Now we're all "green" and the planet is first priority, yet recycling from the tip is strictly off limits. Like you point out its not about anything other than money.

Why does mankind in general seem to always struggle with what seems to me like common sense issues?

• When I went rag and boning with my horse and cart. I had to pay the District Council for a annual itinerant scrap collectors licence.

Back then it was illegal to sell any collected items from off my cart to children “under the age of10”

Often those kids were my best customers!

Paying for scrap metal items with balloons played havoc with my book keeping.

• Gotta laugh at the irony really... Years ago nobody gave a fuck about recycling or the damage to the planet and you could help yourself to anything the tip had to offer.

Now we're all "green" and the planet is first priority, yet recycling from the tip is strictly off limits. Like you point out its not about anything other than money.

Why does mankind in general seem to always struggle with what seems to me like common sense issues?

Its not all about the money, sorta..

Its thanks to the precedent set by the litigious cunts in america who sue at the drop of a hat. Now if you fall in a skip at the tip, or the bike you get from there is dangerous and you have an accident you sue the council. Little wonder they dont let you ferret round the skips any more.

• Its not all about the money, sorta..

Its thanks to the precedent set by the litigious cunts in america who sue at the drop of a hat. Now if you fall in a skip at the tip, or the bike you get from there is dangerous and you have an accident you sue the council. Little wonder they dont let you ferret round the skips any more.

Good point and I can see that being a problem. Its only 40 yrs since I was a kid, how did the world get so fucked up in such a short time I ask myself.....

• Good point and I can see that being a problem. Its only 40 yrs since I was a kid, how did the world get so fucked up in such a short time I ask myself.....

we left the young’ens in charge. They only know the “by the classroom way” = by the book way. Because they’ve have foook all experience in the real world. These days a degree gets “bums” in seats, not skilled employees with practical experience and ability to think outside the box.

Jobs get a tick or they don’t , there’s no inbetween, no let’s try work round it.

Hit the targets at all costs, even if they have to hide the recycled/crap waste in containers and ship it off to foreign lands amongst legit electronics etc. Out of sight, out of mind, the modern way to recycle.

• amongst other things I have had 3 cars off freecycle - recycled 1 car back onto freecycle plus lots of other things. round our way a lot of the groups have changed over to freegle

• Freecycle Drone update: charged the Lithium Polymer battery up = took & held charge.

Downloaded Parrot AR Freeflight App to a old IPad. Watched a few YouTube vids, online instructions. :angel:

Today was flight day No1. All systems charged and WiFi connected. Took it out back onto a mowed part of the field. Forgot how to home/sink/ground/base locate the drone. AR 1.0 Update available warning on the IPad app. Ahh I thought, fk it, it’s too hot to go back and research online for that feature and install upgrades. Let’s go for it! :whistle: Motors on, recording off, select and adjust settings for outdoors = Max hight and speed. Trimmed the propellers. Take it up.....

Put it down, up, down, side to side.. forwards backwards, to me, away, up, down, down where you going you folk, come back. Shit shit, come back.

Abort Abort [panic] Fucking things got a mind of its own. :shrug:

:eek:                :whistle::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:whistle:    :calmdown:[plod]

The drone did indeed keep going. Up to a height that resembled - about 35 foot, The Max I set in flight parameters on the iPad Freeflight control app.

Continuing, It flew Nothwest at a slow speed. By this time any effort I made to rectify from the IPad seemed pointless. Worrying it would soon be out of sight and heading into uncut hay fields, scrub or woodland or worse, road. I better .............

Over the boundary fence and into the adjacent cow field it went. Heading towards and above the neighbours haybarn..... just at that moment. It parked it’s asre down on the sloping asbestos Haybarn roof. About 24 foot off the ground and a 60yards from me. .......:(

Laughed so much I had to walk off to collect my thoughts.

10minutes later.... I knew if I took the double ladders and a long pole, it’s a biscuit. But if I could stand on the tall pile of builders rubble, that the last lorry dropped off for the farmers hardcore pile. The Wifi link should be ok. I can get a visual on the drone and I could fly it off of there.:cool:

So I did. Up it went. Then some how it wanted to come my way, I know it did, but it was hesitating. Kinda like a kid that knows it’s in trouble.

Here it comes.... oh fk, down it goes right on top of the farmers parked £30k tractor roof.. slow motion this. Watching the drone inpale one of the propeller guards on the Tractor roof radio aerial. =O

All I had to do to retrieve it now, was to climb up the Tractor cab steps and unplug it from the tractor radio aerial and I could be on my way. :D:angel:

I have since downloaded the updates. And will learn a little more about controls, before going in the middle of nowhere next time to fly it. :D So watch this space.

• I have had good results with freecycle.

At various times I have asked for, and got, a vintage cine camera, a central heating radiator, some building materials, and a motorbike, all of which were catalysts for projects which I probably wouldn't have started otherwise.

I have also given away a lot of things which I no longer needed - but I often found that they were collected by posh people in smart cars who could well afford to buy the items, and I felt these were not people who needed my help.

• I find in the affluent area that I’m a member on freecycle. It’s more the well off who generate the movement of recycled goods around the project. Almost like they can afford to care about recycling and about giving away and re-using.

I wouldnt judge a persons intentions by the way they dress or the vehicle they drive.

The majority of gypsies younger than me around here, look like they are modelling clothes for a catalog and their cars wouldn’t be out of place in Knightsbridge.

• Don’t I just love this freecycle. Friday I was given a 2006 Sym jet Euro - X50cc scooter. Never been crashed or dropped. No scratches or scrapes. High mileage 22,000miles. It had a new battery in March but now requires a new ignition pack = £15

MOT’d till November. All docs inc V5, original manual and two sets of keys. The guy had upgraded to a new, bigger scooter. I did give the guy £10 for a metal luggage rack that he had previously bought for that moped, but not got round to fitting it.

• I must come and rub myself against you at DD, maybe some of your luck will rub off. Never had a sniff of anything like that offered round here...

To be honest, this County is massive and Im not the first to receive the emails it seems. Years ago anything I was interested in had already been taken. I make a point of looking at the weekly emails they send out and it is never more than a dozen items offered each time. I don’t ask for many of the items either. I have enquired seceral times for my neighbour and never been successful. Thing is. If I’m not successful. I don’t take it to heart. I’m just thankful folk pass stuff around. Charity begins at home, but we all can do a little good even if it’s only a bit of our time we give away. Had this moped not required a coil pack, no doubt loads more would have grabbed it.

Years ago my mate believed they had a lucky settee. So old but precious they eventually decided to have it recovered (at great expense). All they did was sit on the settee and their luck would change. Stuff would come their way. If they wanted to go to the pub. Coins could always be found down the back and sides of it. ( a busy party house) once it was recovered. It still had some luck left init, but eventually it was no longer the Center of attention as they both got jobs.

I’ve seen you walk around site Rick. Luck can be measured in many ways.