Streams in the uk

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hi everyone. Can anyone point me in the direction of a app or website where I can find streams and small rivers please? I really want to introduce my grandkids to outdoor swimming and as they are small a stream is ideal. We live near to the Great Yarmouth area but we can travel reasonable distances.

• Same as Rick said , but I would add local knowledge...., how big are the kids? it needs a deepish stretch of water to swim in. Around here its old gravel pits turned into parks that lil ones can paddle/swim in.

I have lived by the K&A (canal), its only 6 feet deep at max and no current but you wouldn't want let ya dog swim in it never mind a kid !

Polio is a lot less common nowadays but weils disease is still prevalent. Most 'streams' in the UK are virtually dry at this time of year so its paddling rather than swimming...

• Hi guys. Thanks for the reply.

I’m sorry I didn’t make myself very clear!

Ok I’m looking for places they can paddle in. They do go swimming in a pool but I’d like them to experience outdoors more and thought it would be kinda fun to head off for a picnic and paddle.

Obviously we have the beach but I prefer countryside.

Yes we have the broads and they are most beautiful but you wouldn’t want to swim on them! ??

The reason I asked is because I need specific areas as I can’t go adventuring due to disability. I can walk short distance but not far enough to go on a ramble!

Thank you guys xx

• Ive a hazy recollection that paddling type brooks and streams might be found near old water mills. I've no logic to back this up.

Might be worth a search.

Scratch that....there is a site called 'wildswimming' that offers locations for paddling.

• A kid is a baby goat! I was a child or a wean, anyway you obviously never read my post properly!

Once more........ When I was a child I always swimming and having adventures in the harbour, the beach and all the streams, but i certainly wouldn't do it now because they're rotten.

Do you get it now?

• I can read very well ?

You said "Probably slightly cleaner now than when you were a kid CG"

Are you saying you know the harbour, beaches and streams from where I come from? I doubt it! So you can disagree all you like Zendazey, it doesn't change the fact that everything is polluted!

• I was going to suggest Salhouse Broad as there is a nice spot to paddle from there, but since you cant walk far that is out as its about a mile walk from the car park.

• I would not like to swim in the broads due to the fact that there is a massive problem here with people dumping rubbish into it. :( It makes me really sad because it’s a lovely part of the county.

I’ve just been told of a little place down in kessingland so we are off to investigate this weekend. :D

• last weekend 90 swimmers swam from the waveny river centre to beccles as part of an organised event, so the water quality is good as it was tested as part of the conditions, in places on the broads the water is crystal clear, though I would avoid the more tidal areas.

• I would not like to swim in the broads due to the fact that there is a massive problem here with people dumping rubbish into it. :( It makes me really sad because it’s a lovely part of the county.

I’ve just been told of a little place down in kessingland so we are off to investigate this weekend. :D

The streams in my village are the same, but it's not only rubbish, it's the run-off from the fields that are sprayed with the pig shit from an intensive farm. They are slimey. And the harbour stinks from all the fish entrails.

But as Zendazy says, I'm wrong and probably imagining things!

• The streams in my village are the same, but it's not only rubbish, it's the run-off from the fields that are sprayed with the pig shit from an intensive farm. They are slimey. And the harbour stinks from all the fish entrails.

But as Zendazy says, I'm wrong and probably imagining things!

I doubt Zendaze ventures out to see.Please take care i was shocked to see how many rivers are used as sewage discharges due to overloaded sewers.Google it.40 percent of uk rivers have sewage discharged into them.40pc!!!Even a small stream near us looks ok till you realise it is used by a farm uphill as a drain.Yes the authorities were told.No action taken.Awful.And people wonder at fish decline.Best go high up above human shit.

• If you come out of Yarmouth along the A47 to West Acre/Narford (just the other side of Swaffham) you should be able to find a nice spot for paddling in the Nar. I used to take my kids there when they were small and on my way to play at a festival near there a couple of weeks ago I noticed the tradition had not been lost.