NHS: pay for GP visits?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Boots

That's hardly the end of civilisation Bernie. A woman who qualifies for free prescriptions is using the service available to her. She has a valid condition, and it will take a bit of GP time. During the time, the GP can advise the patient properly on the condition (athletes' foot is a bugger to get rid of - you need to continue using the medication for quite a while, even when symptoms 'appear' to have gone). Also, the GP can make the most of the time and ensure his patient is OK in other general health terms.

I do get the feeling reading some of the posts here that some over-resent 'users' and exploiters of systems. Are you working for Putin? Trying to sew little conspiracy theories into tiny British heads? Don't we all want to see an unexploited system? A few disparate glitches doesn't mean our NHS is endemically corrupted. It's hardly going to bring the system down. Meanwhile we simply need to continually ensure the NHS is exploited as little as possible and have faith in a system doing a lot of good. (Let's try to cut down on some of the meds though.) And then continue to target real corruption when / where it occurs - because yes, there is a large amount of it around these days (because we are finally becoming much better at detecting it?).

I was watching a news program about a week ago, they were comparing health systems in Europe - doing a kind of mix and match. One doctor pointed out, it doesn't work that way. Each country's health system grows organically and their population and system is developed for it to work efficiently for them. It does not necessarily hold true that importing bits of their system would work for us (of course it also doesn't mean that we shouldn't consider other countries' ideas). It was a good point. Basically our system is deservedly all ours, adapting from genuine forces requiring specific changes - and we really don't do too badly. Yes, it's free, and it's free because of spreading the cost through taxes. Lovely. Let's do everything we can to improve the NHS so that good people like GivingItThought (21) can continue taking her son to the GP and not have to worry about bureaucratic details.

Or, is something desperately wrong with our capitaliast economy that we can no longer support the NHS leviathan? No, last time I looked around London the wealthy look even wealthier. The wealth is still increasingly there. You should see all the lavish parties behind the City walls. There is much more champagne splashed around London than fungal cream.

Every system is going to have a few loop holes. Maybe for Bernie's example pharmacists should be given more powers to prescribe to users who qualify for free medication to get a limited (non-abusive / safer) range of items. [But I don't think this would work now . . . ] Unfortunately, now there is a sharp decline in really good pharmacists which have responsible / fully trained pharmacists. That is a serious concern. Boots for instance - who owns them now? [Has Britain been raped by an American corporation again? And why did we sit back and watch it happen?] Is Boots' service as good as it was 50 years ago?

Pharmacists were an intrinisic part of the health system, now they seem to be becoming more part of the capitalist system. IE (woops, sorry, Boots again): Boots do good deals on sandwiches and sugary drinks and give a free bag of crisps - perfect!!! (God, I hate crisps, the smell, the sound and the desperately small portions. Every time I get on a National Express bus, the bus revs up and instantly everbyody opens their cheap shit plastic bag of crisps - the bus is instantly contaminated with a farty smell) . . . . you get great £5 coupons on Revlon etc whenever you go there. I'm saving all mine so that when I get to the age of sixty I can buy a lifetime supply of eyeliner and stay young and beautiful*. Who is the audience for a Boots commercial? Next time you see one of their commercials have a look at what they are selling and consider who the target audience is. Pharmacists . . .:eek:

* - lie: I don't shop there.

• Boots

Every system is going to have a few loop holes. Maybe for Bernie's example pharmacists should be given more powers to prescribe to users who qualify for free medication to get a limited (non-abusive / safer) range of items. [But I don't think this would work now . . . ]

That happens now, its called the minor ailments scheme

• But one should always get what one has paid for!

I get that and I would imagine that most people get it too. (NHS health insurance has been promised and charged at a rate over which contributers have had no control)....

Times have changed and familial support structures have changed and a large percentage of the population are living longer and are wealthy and ?kept healthy? at cost to successive generations.

It's not exactly the fault of older and wealthier generations that their health and social care has not been adaquately funded by their contributions. (Because the level of contribution was set by government).

However.... government attempts to seek greater funding for health and social care or savings from these ageing, wealthy groups are met with massive resistance.

Meanwhile mental health services are scantily available for the younger generations and anti depressants are relied upon to deal with the obvious conflict of interests.

Bernie said that over the counter meds should not be available on prescription and that is a sensible call.

I really don't see why any GP or ED attendances that do not qualify as requiring professional treatment should not attract a charge.

I would accept such without reservation and I struggle to understand why people cannot cope with contributing toward the cost of their indulgence.

• So! I have very, very long periods where I do not visit a GP or pharmacist (e.g. 13 years) whilst paying into the system, so in my opinion have paid more than a contribution towards anything I may need!!!!

• As Rick points out : you and all have made a contribution toward that current cost of providing a National Health Service, at a particular point in time, whilst you/us/we/all are paying national insurance.

Once you/we/all/us stop paying NI we are no longer contributing toward that cost.

The NHS is run on a false cost analysis. By its edicts and method of finance you have not paid for any of the health services that you might receive via the NHS.

Your contributions were used to finance the demands of others (whilst you were not using the service) and your demands (on the service) will be financed by others once you stop contributing.

• Summed up in two words: Ponzi scheme.

• The fundamental problem they have is the balance has shifted massively. Mostly because of an aging population and the increasingly complex range of treatments available.

The NHS is basically only a Community Chest in its original concept.

• if you dont pay tax in the uk cannot see what its got to do with you and if you would not mind paying a charge you are a twat

?? I love it!

Next time you answer me, perhaps you could use a comma or two, maybe a full stop and a capital here and there?

Providing you know where to put them! ?

Lots of Love

From Twat.

• Having requested seeing “any” doctor two weeks ago. I got a appointment to see a male doctor at out GP practice. Talking to him I explained I am a little concerned about potential health problems that I may be susceptible to and that I had reciently lost two good friends to illness.

I was hoping to attend the well mens clinic. He looked at the computer and informed me that I didn’t qualify for a further 2 years? (The computer says NO)

However the doctor told me he would book me in for a blood test with a nurse for This Tuesday. I later phoned the surgery to specifically request a prostate blood test to be include.

Tuesday I had the bloods taken and the nurse explained that it could take several days to get the tests back and I wouldn’t hear any further if all was ok.

Cool, no news is good news,!

Wednesday evening I recieved a email from the patients access (online gp service) telling me that this same Male doctor wishes to discuss the blood test over the phone at 11.20am today.

This morning at 8.15am I get a txt saying a appointment has been made for me with this male doctor at our surgery for 10.30 am. (Well I’m away from the area)

9.15am. Phone rings, doctors receptionist. “The doctor needs to see me ASAP” What the foook. Ok I couldn’t get back in time today, but have a appointment to see him first thing Monday morning. Now I know I’m not pregnant, but this may just play on my mind all weekend.

There should be a code the receptionist could be allowed to use, instead of “the doctor will explain everything”

Code Green “NOTHING to worry about Sir!

Code Amber “maybe you need pills and a telling off”

Code Red. “Your fked, don’t buy that new bus”

Well better to know and be able to do something about it than to not have a chance!

Watch this space. Hope it don’t cost me “more money” it’s ok saying “what price do we put on our health” not a lot when we have very little dosh.

• I hope it's nothing serious, Alices Wonderland, it is very frustrating when they tell you they need to see you but don't say why - I agree some sort of code to give you an idea would be helpful! I find my mind strays to worse case scenarios when I don't know what's going on. I hope it's just something they're being very cautious about and nothing to worry about x

• They do have a habit of scaring the shit out of you. My OH was told she had cancer over the phone while she was at work, by a doctors receptionist. Its gods truth, I wouldn't make that sort of crap up.

"Oh hello, yes we have the results back and yes its cancer, can you come in and see the doctor Tuesday"

Disgraceful but probably no worse than "I can't tell you"

Everybody's head goes off into outer space, no easy way

• All the Best with this, Steve. I hope things go alright. As we get a bit older these tests and checks put the wind up me; partly because they can often be wrong.

My mate had to have three or four tests over several weeks before they finally decided he was in the clear, a worrying time for him and his family.

• Good luck AW, I had blood taken then was out of the country for a month when I came back I received a couple of texts saying contact the surgery which I did then waited another week to see a doctor.I have been referred back to the urology clinic where things are moving along,blood test booked for next month,big scan booked the week after blood results then the following week consultants appointment.

Your problem could be something simple like an infection,you will be in good hands Mukka i'm sure of that,all the best.;)

• Agree with the others alices wonderland - good luck. You're right, they can be a bugger with their approach to 'care', you need to divide yourself away from that side and just use them for what they give. I hope the news is positive. Meanwhile enjoy your weekend. :)