British Government announces review of medicinal cannabis use.

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• This government should and may well (in future time) be held accountable for denying treatment with cannabis.

This is especially true when the evidence in support of such treatment has been rigourously gathered and can be rationally presented.

Allowing the use of medicinal cannabis on special licence in individual circumstances (cough, cough ..... bullshit!) Is a tricky, bullshit, manoeuvre....that is dependent on the suffering of the individual being sufficient to warrant special treatment.

NEGLECT!

• for medicinal use ??? let the blagg artists begin lol

That's what is happening in America, a sudden onset of a disorder to gain the medical card needed to purchase. It's not difficult to feign anxiety attacks. The trouble with that one is for some folk, if they feign a disorder, it soon becomes a form of hyperchondria.

• Funnily enough I saw that vid a while back. folk dont seem to get it when there's talk about the real nuts and bolts about the percetages and values and the effects, they seem to think I'm talking tosh. As I said before, these days it's all about the THC and how strong it is and the levels of it in commercial grown and seed selling is all wrong, as in the vid, upon testing whats in it, there is very little CBD, often none. Trouble is, its all the younger generations know, so they think thats what being stoned is. Then folk wonder why when they smoke they have a melt down or instant psychosis/get paranoid and twitchy. I hate the modern stuff, it does me no good hence never touch it. Without the presence of CBD its not getting high, its a heavy cosh of a hit of which THC on its own is quite a serious downer/depressive. For that old skool happy giggly motivated high, it really does need to be CBD high, THC low. Even talking to a mate this morning and scrolling through his seed seller site he uses which gives average percentages of THC and CBD, not one was even near a decent balance of THC and CBD. If you could get something like 16-20 % CBD and 5-7 % THC, thats more like the good old giggly shit but with 0 to 1 to 2% CBD and anywhere from 25% to 40% THC maybe more whic is the modern mix, that shit is nasty, thats not what being stoned is, that makes people go into a zombified melt out, fine if thats what folk want. The medicinal strains that you can buy seeds for still have a THC content that is quite high. What levels it out is have some 16% CBD paste with no THC content and not the mixed liquid oil. let say ( for me ) it's a blob the size of 2-3 grains of rice melt under the tongue for a few minutes then swallow, then wait say 10 mins for it to get into your system, I know I've had that, you do get a nice buzzy lift then have a smoke, this really does levle out the THC and makes for a pleasant high rather than an mongy cosh.

• The tide is turning and I would bet this time next year, medicinal cannabis (extract) if not the (government grown) herb will be available for “some” patients on prescription issued by our GP or other health professionals.

Common sense prevailing it will also be considered for reclassification and hopefully down graded from class B to a C.

I’ve never seen so much media coverage and public demonstration for its medicinal use. Forget controlling it in a leagal structure in the next 5 to 10 years. Universal acceptance of both medicinal and recreational use may be the resulting way forward.

The inclusion of cannabis in Schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act, in America is a joke. The most tightly restricted category reserved for drugs that have "no currently accepted medical use," has been proposed repeatedly since 1972.

But the US government have themselves registered a patent on cannabis use as far back as 1940 odd! Stating upto 6 medical conditions it could prove effective in the treatment of. So by their own admission. Cannabis should never have been classified in that category in the first place.

Talk about hypocrisy’s at the highest level.

• Well, considering the amount grown in this country and exported for medicinal use and what's kept here of the U.K crop for scientific studies stands to reason they are gearing up for a medicinal use under strict guide lines, but it will still be too strict as most N.H.S G.P's and hospital doctors are not mediclly trained in medicinal cannabis which thye wont allow unlicensed practitioners to dish it out. Take the C.B.D manufacturers and suppliers in this country, they are not allowed to prescribe it for specific uses or illnesses, its up to the purchaser to self prescribe and medicate.I doubt it will be available for any old tom dick or harry to get given it for medicinal use any time soon, and by the time thye have thrashed out the details and finalising how and who gets it will take some time I reckon, maybe a year or 5 unless special circumstances arise like the young lad with awful seizures where nothing else works.

• That's what is happening in America, a sudden onset of a disorder to gain the medical card needed to purchase. It's not difficult to feign anxiety attacks. The trouble with that one is for some folk, if they feign a disorder, it soon becomes a form of hyperchondria.

In the UK there would most likely be a lot people faking illness and taking up valuable doctors appointments to get their hands on the drug.

• Sadly, the British public are far too conservative currently for this to pass. There's still a prevailing attitude of "all drugs are bad".

I think in this country medical use would be the most logical step towards full legalisation, there is no way the gov would go for full legalisation in one go.

• Interesting points. Let’s look a obvious drawback to decriminalisation for recreational use.

How would industry, health and safety. Highways Act (drug driving laws) effect recreational users?

I understand that Train drivers have for a good number of years been exposed to compulsory routine drug testing. Would bus drivers, taxi drivers etc be subject to the same?

If in the near future lorry drivers, bus drivers, taxi drivers, motorists, “all” who are involved in “any” RTA were to have a blood test. How many would be found over the permitted blood/drug driving limit ! How many would have void insurance? How many could face loosing their home or assets should compensation be awarded to injured parties.

How would routine drug tests effect industry. Machine operators? Public transport?

Following legalisation/decriminalisation, Would the UK become the drug test capital of the world? How does it play out in they USA? In Canada etc?

• Your probably right Harry that it is policy these days, but how common is it really? Are test following a RTA involving lorry drivers, no more than a drink driving test at worst?

A mate was a building site manager and he wanted to introduce random drug tests on his building site. He never got that far. His understanding was that most of the labourers and brick layers on his site were on speed, so they could knock out the work and earn good money.

• I think in this country medical use would be the most logical step towards full legalisation, there is no way the gov would go for full legalisation in one go.

Agreed, but I never actually said anything about full legalisation. I still think the British public treats cannabis like the boogyman. A sortof "well, if we legalise medical cannibis, then people will start dealing crack to 5 year olds" mentality is kinda prevalent, especially amongst the older generations.

• A lot to be said for being self-employed. I remember 1995, I was self employed and I had a new employee come to work for me on trial. It was a Bank holiday Monday and we were to go door knocking “tree work”. I had made some hash cookies that weekend.

The employee prompt and keen arrived for work around 9am. I had a bit of office work to do first, before tooling up. So I offered a cookie with a mug of tea to the employee. We both realised any chance of earning a crust was lost at 2pm when I was still sat on my office desk swinging my legs and talking life and universe bollox. :insane:

• Sadly, the British public are far too conservative currently for this to pass. There's still a prevailing attitude of "all drugs are bad".

If that is the case and the British public think all drugs are bad that means they are also hypocrites as they are all too happy to take whatever the doctors dish out to them. A headache tablet is a drug, it alters your state form a headache to not having a headache thus putting a smile on ones face as you feel good post headache, someone smoking a spliff puts a smile on their face as it makes them feel good, an altered state.

In my mind a drug is one of or a series of known compounds that have an effect on the body and there are quite a few that are dished out by doctors that will put a patient in a higher or better altered state, prozac and other similar mood altering drugs are equally as addicitve and can have adverse effects on the body like chemo drugs, you have to take other drugs with it to have a counter effect on the toxicity that the chemo drugs bring on, if someone is on a downer from depression or bi polar and they take a doctors prescribed medicine like prozac it will lift their mood to a more stable state which I feel is an altered state from how they were before taking it and of course that is what recreational drugs do and if someone stops taking their meds they revert back to a previous sate which is exactly what recreational drugs do, once worn off you revert back to a previous state before they were taken.

The British public only have the views on the seperation between doctors pharma's drugs and recreational drugs because that is what they are fed from the authorities and the media.

As an example, if cannabis meds did become wide spread and available and at the discretion of a doctor to precribe to a patient as they would with all the other pharma drugs, if a patient was being diagnosed with a certain ailment and they had anti recreational drug views and their doctor dropped it on them and prescribed a cannabis based treatment, would they refuse it on the grounds of their anti recreational drug views or would it be an option for the patient to decide. As an aside, I personally know folk including a family member who go with whatever the doctor says to take even if it is not working for them, they say oh the doctor sais so, so it must be right, that is not always the case. I know several people who have anti recreational drug views but are happy to take CBD which has been recommended by freinds/relations as it's worked for them rather.

I was under the impression that any RTA is now under the discretion of the officers attending to do a road side swab test and I feel it will become more widespread as standard practice and if it did get introduced as a standard medicine with active THC there will as likely to be driving restrictions as there are with quite a few doctors prescribed meds as is says on the label, do not drive or operate machinery and many more businesses in any field of work employing people are bringing in drug testing and checking previous employment and medical history as par of the course. If it did come in there will probably be concessions to be made for an employee to declare to their employer if they are prescribed an active THC med by a doctor but if it affects their ability to do their job, would they have to be temporarily laid of during the course of meds or if its going to be a long term use as prescribed by a doctor, would their employee then be in the position to be able to lay them off permanently.

• And of course this decision will be made out of respect and kindness for the users of the plant and will not be influenced at all by how much tax revenue they can generate :whistle:

Oh dear,I almsost sounded cynical then :o

• Post by marcco ().

This post was deleted by Paul: Please stop flooding threads with music video. ().
  • Post by marcco ().

This post was deleted by Paul: Please stop flooding threads with music video. ().
  • Post by marcco ().