The Police-cops-Plod etc - Good or bad guys in your opinion !!!!

• It's hard to know what to do in such situations. ... I thought maybe you should tell the police station - but sometimes you don't want the attention. And from what some are saying on this thread, who knows it could back fire. Some people are odd out there and you don't always know which are going to be odd . . .

The property I had stolen followed the time I loaned some expensive, heavy-duty jump leads to a policeman after they'd been using my place of work for baton training ("Back! Back! Back!" - it was quite a pantomime) and didn't get them back. I waited a few days and phoned the local police station. I explained the situation and was put on to the desk sergeant. I only wanted my property returned, but he said there was no chance of anyone owning up and that it was never going to happen. He asked me how much I'd paid for them and sent me a cheque which arrived a couple of days later. He didn't ask for any proof of purchase or put up any resistance to compensating me for my loss. It would appear bad behaviour was rife and they didn't have very high expectations of their own officers. I think I felt more let down by that than any of the other times I mentioned above.