The Police-cops-Plod etc - Good or bad guys in your opinion !!!!

• I would be interested to hear the views of you guys with response to this question.

I have heard many travellers-anarchists-hippy folk slag of the police at times whereas at the same time I have heard others praise them. I would love to see what the majority viewpoint in hippydom is of our boys-girls in blue

If I go back to a time when I was younger when I was witnessing events happening under maggies realm,I would of referred to a lot of the police force as f-ing pigs whereas nowadays I am happy to know that they are there and have a lot of respect for the job that they have to do.

Yes they are often puppets of those in power,but what about pc plod in general,is he or she a good person who wants to help us all live in peace and harmony?

I have met many a plod who I honestly believed to be a kind and caring person and I have met some nasty pieces of work who have been complete tossers.

But as years have gone by,I must admit to finding myself having much more respect for the police than I did in my youger days and having much more compassion towards them as they have to deal with the awful thing that is terrorism.

Is it me that has grown up and matured or them? Maybe a bit of both !!

I ask this question as a user on here used the phrase on here quite recently " got stopped by the wankers " and I felt that it was unjust and insulting to a lot of good people.

I ask you hippies,what do you think of our folks in blue?

I think that there are good and bad people in any work place of such numbers,but am now thinking that the majority of our cops are good guys.

Love and light to all

fly xx

• Oh, authority . . . There's no doubt we need them. There are far too many people to go Crowley-law Do as Thou Wilt. Whenever I have dealt with police, they have been polite and friendly.

Once I was harbouring a criminal in my closet. It was ridiculous. I certainly didn't agree with my friend - he'd taken a few bottles of liquor from the corner shop and then run to my house, saying at the door the police are after him. "Gee, thanks Simon! Nice to see you." So, he hid in the closet whilst the police came to my door. I said they couldn't come in, they said they'd wait outside whilst they got a permit then. So, they did that. I think it took about an hour, during which Simon was shit-scared in the closet. We plotted methods of escape, back window etc, but the cops had all corners covered, we repeated our plots as there weren't that many, now and then when he forgot his nerves, he'd let out a little giggle. Finally the police came into my house did a bit of talking with me, looked everywhere in my small bedsit flat and then, last, they opened the closet door to find Simon, shaking in the closet. Poor Simon, they took him away. I think he was relieved the nightmare was all over and he was safely in the policeman's hands. To me they said, "you'll hear from us on whether we decide to press charges". I suppose obstruction - I was hardly obstructing, it was inevitable they would eventually find poor Simon in the closet. I finally got a letter saying they decided not to press charges. Ah, youth.

I do hear other stories, where the police can be heavy handed. We have to keep on top of that. They do a tough job, it would be hard to remain neutral when all you see is crime. Generally, I highly respect what they do.

• i used to respect the police.no doubt some are good however i have seen them many times ignore assaults on hunt monitors and not enforcing the law.go to ..police corruption hunt sabs and you will see.fudging crime statistics,playing at undercover roles for years,actually having relationships with women to get information,investigation ongoing etc,dont take my word for it google it.David Ike even publicised a theory that ukh was invented by and run by bored cops....all called Paul probably.:whistle:

• Theres good and bad in all people and same in all organisations or arms of the state.

Good individuals and bad ones in the ranks of the police.

Regretable that the slovenly aggressive attitude of bad ones always seem to flourish and triumph over the better more considerate and professional officers though when theyre forced to act as a group or body against workers,protesters or groups like hippys women's libbers, CND and travellers or polically expedient.

Individually ive met some lovely officers and ive met quite a few id describe as utter cunts cause there doesnt seem a better word.

I knew one very well when a child in my village,he was a neighbour who regularly beat up his wife and his kids the same age as me while having an affair with another woman and outwardly presenting a squeaky clean image in public.

Another officer at the same district station in my small market town who enjoyed behaving like a stalinist robocop on his Triumph motorcycle,who knocked off everyone for everything and regularly stopped and searched folk especially young,black or Irish,long before it was official police procedure back then and we were in a different time warp to urban areas.

He was a vile racist homophobic bastard but who often got very drunk and obnoxious in the pub and follow and harass women to their home.. and another who made it his mission to target harass and ensnare homosexuals but made sure he always got his share of blowjobs or a fuck before shopping anyone cottaging ..all of which kind of set my general view of police officers.By no means representative of all then but enough bad egg smell to put one off for a long time.They were a long way off of the cuddly dependable respected 'firm but fair' image we generally had of policemen of an earlier era....(or was that all establishment PR bullshit too)

I witnessed what malevolent nastiness they could really become -first hand on occasions- during the miners strike and the days when punk hippys NATs ravers CND and numerous bypass protesters were politically targeted by Thatcher.

On the other hand ive met some fabulous officers in the traffic and motorway police in very trying tragic circumstances and whom youd want no finer people to deal with such situations and the victims, also in the firearms units,domestic violence and community liason officers.

Its probably not fair to tar all with the same brush but the majority popular view is theyre hated and hated for good reasons, those reasons mostly stem from their actions in the not so distant past when acting as a politically directed and motivated force against ordinary citizens and with an inbred institutional hatred of anyone who wasn't a white male police officer.

Id like to think we've progressed from those days and that the police are more professional and responsible now...??

Unfortunately theres still lots of reform required and some mindblowingly stupid management policies and evidence of endemic corruption and whitewashing all of which undermines the image we have of them and the officers on the ground.

I think we'd have to go a long way backwards to get the appallingly shitty policing that seems normal and common place in the US, where youre beaten senseless or shot dead before any questions are asked and your chances of survival very much depend on the colour of your skin and pot luck on the quality of the officers where you live and never likely to get any judicial review or justice even if obviously willfully negligent,reckless or corrupt so I guess in the UK and Europe we should consider ourselves very fortunate our police services are nowhere near as tragic as over there.

Theres no doubt we must have police so we should expect the best and most professional officers possible and bad ones should be weeded out not allowed to hide within or taint the rest.Thats a systemic institutional problem that reaches far back though.

Conversely in this day and age, facing what they have to face daily -and exceptionally with terrorism -I think they should all be properly armed and trained to use firearm weapons tactically as the firearms units are.

Not good enough today to have the majority of dedicated officers facing violent determined and dangerous people with only a cosh/baton, tazers and pepper spray.

Love them or hate them we cannot not have them.Theyre absolutely essential.

In answer to the question on my view of the police being good or bad Id say I have more respect and regard for them now than i did in the 70's and 80's,I cant really improve on that assessment.

My only concern is that having invested heavily in policing over the recent decades and seriously addressed shortfalls and variable or poor standards from different forces and units, what we may soon end up with if police forces are privatised and handed over to the usual awful inept suspects.

We may well yet end up with US style policing afterall and all the good work to modernise attitudes,confront xenophobia and improve professionalism within the police will be lost....ironically wrecked for financial expediency by a political party (Tory)that always places law and order as a central priority policy.

Like everything,you get what you pay for.

Your enemy will stab you in the front,your friends stab you in the back - beware your friends,embrace your enemies,you'll always know what youre dealing with.

The post was edited 6 times, last by NomadicRT: Dyslexic errors ().

• I agree with lots of what you say there,especially about there being progress within the force since the thatcherite era.

I think that they get a lot of crap that majoritively they do not deserve especially from people that may have crossed one or two dickheads back many years ago.

When I get stopped from time to time for a roadside control check here in france,I am always polite and respectful and often find that I am treated in the same way.

I have met a couple of twat head gendermes near the alps who were being nasty towards me as I had a van with a chimney and therefore must be a drugged up anarchist,and I must admit that I was not particulary polite back to them.

I did make a point of saying that my taxes were paying their wages so that they could protect and serve me,not so they could be insulting towards me by making bad judgements on the charecter they expected me to be.

That was a very rare event however.

I have told many a cop here that in these horrible times of terrorism I am so thankful for the work and the risks that they take to protect the public. Most appreciate those words and sentiments.

These are people who do literally get in the firing line for us and in many cases deserve more respect than they often get.

Or at least,I think so !!

• I used to work for them.. it gave me an insight.

I have had some hell times with them also, because of my daughters choice of friendships and relationships....

Now? wouldnt piss on em if they were on fire. I do have my reasons.

• In answer to the question on my view of the police being good or bad Id say I have more respect and regard for them now than i did in the 70's and 80's,I cant really improve on that assessment.

I think I'd generally agree with that. A lot depends on circumstances, and how you treat them, and what sort of person they are in themselves. Like most humans in different situations, in fact. My views gradually changed over the years, seeing them deal with difficult people in various situations, while working on the markets and elsewhere. Some local forces seemed to have a slightly different way of dealing with local nuisances too, which could be amusing at times to the onlooker.

I've had a copper caution me at a public meeting at the nod from local officials who didn't like the truth revealed, and I've had another copper stop and get off his bike and help me carry a collapsed drunk back to his door instead of being left out all night in mid-winter. So they still lean the way you'd expect them to lean, but as individuals many of them are first-rate dedicated people.

• As individuals I've met a few decent coppers over the years -- and I've met some arseholes too.

I've been in conversations with police where they've casually thrown racist comments around, I've seen them threaten people, I've had friends beaten up and a couple of times came in for some pretty rough treatment myself. I've also met police who have been highly protective in situations where it's absolutely been called for.

As a collective I'm not sure. It's like, they make the right noises if you get broken into or mugged, and there are some cops doing serious and important work - like trying to catch paedophiles for example - but there's a group mentality that seems to come out from time to time, and it's simply not pleasant or representative of a world I want to live in.

• I used to work for them.. it gave me an insight.

I have had some hell times with them also, because of my daughters choice of friendships and relationships....

Now? wouldnt piss on em if they were on fire. I do have my reasons.

Me neither.lets hope none spontaneously combust in our proximity.:DPaid by government,just mainly politically leashed pitbulls.Trouble is good officers coming up ,meet a corrupt officer higher up.So if you want to get on you keep quiet.the police recently refused support and transparent investigations for whistleblowers in the police force.Not speedy issuing complaint data either.Reported online somewhere.

• I think I'd generally agree with that. A lot depends on circumstances, and how you treat them, and what sort of person they are in themselves. Like most humans in different situations, in fact. My views gradually changed over the years, seeing them deal with difficult people in various situations, while working on the markets and elsewhere. Some local forces seemed to have a slightly different way of dealing with local nuisances too, which could be amusing at times to the onlooker.

I've had a copper caution me at a public meeting at the nod from local officials who didn't like the truth revealed, and I've had another copper stop and get off his bike and help me carry a collapsed drunk back to his door instead of being left out all night in mid-winter. So they still lean the way you'd expect them to lean, but as individuals many of them are first-rate dedicated people

Anyone can go to any hunt near them and watch the police, in full view ,allow hunt monitors to get badly assaulted and run off the public highway, whilst they are observing and recording unlawful hunting with hounds.An ex cop recently got his neck broken by thugs and if you watch the online true footage whilst the ambulance man is attending the monitor with a broken neck,the police are seen and clearly heard making jokes about the injured man.This is in public view.Not even reprimanded.Rot infects.Need to weed out the rot.

• members with more than five posts will not see this advert

• pixiejanet1 - I am interested in your experience, not the specific details as they may be personal to you.

You say from your experience your respect for police has gone down. Is that from witnessing police in a defined area, or have you reason to believe the corruption is endemic within the whole police system?

• I have had odd 'tiffs' with border police. My International flight into Atlanta Georgia, the police were gruff (not surprised).

Another time I crossed the border from Greece into Turkey - ON FOOT, this is not recommended. In fact the bus driver had said to me he would take me across the border, but he lied, he continued a round trip staying in Greece. A truck driver took me along the longer strip of land that separates the countries. This is a very odd patch of land ('territory'), which says alot about relations between the two countries. There was a big metal bridge, lots of barbed wire, wasted land. Then when I got to the Turkish side, I literally didn't know what to do and all the stalls were for cars. The truck driver had dumped me off, he didn't really want to take me in the first place a policeman on the other side had helped me and asked this driver to take me over. Language was also a problem. It was around midnight, I was wearing flip flops and my knapsack strap had broken - sometimes I become a parody of myself (but that might be what saves me from getting into deeper trouble). I ended up being in the right place with the wrong guy, he was gruff and nasty, threatened to lock me up a few times and I couldn't help but argue back, I was being a bit foolhardy, but got through - I don't think he could be bothered with causing more trouble.

Sometimes, (again border territories - it says something about this world), I have had these big men come up to me with smiles on their faces, machine gun pointed casually at my feet. It happens alot on the Eastern side of Turkey. I was at a famous Unesco temple, Prasat Preah Vehear, a bit remote, out of the way and so not hugely visited like other places of equal merit. The temple site is on a small (but relatively high) mountain, overlooking spectacular views of the plains of the Cambodia / Thailand border. It was a volatile area when I went as the richer Thais were trying to invade poorer Cambodia (might still be). I was approaching them as I wondered what they were doing. They gesticulated madly at me not to come closer - apparently they were looking for mines. Such an amazing place to have strife. These were more soldiers, but there were a lot of police in the area too.

• I have had some bad experiences and some not quite so bad ones.

In the past I have been set up for entrapment in a public toilet, been bowled over by them at a CND demo, and was once dragged out of my works truck and yelled at while parked legally, sitting in the cab and filling out some paperwork. I am frequently pulled over at night time after working and have falsely been pulled over for speeding (I definitely know I wasn't on that occasion). I have had property stolen (not impounded for evidence or otherwise confiscated - just stolen by an officer to whom I loaned something in good faith). When my youngest daughter was experiencing a psychotic episode and went missing, the officer who spent the day with us would not talk to me or my ex regarding our daughter even though we were in the room. They asked us to go outside and spoke to her so-called friend and this friend's father instead. I have had light-hearted discussions with them on some demos, and the officers in the sentry box near the vehicle entrance to Parliament seemed to appreciate my expression of condolence for losing their colleague not long after the terrorist incident there. The ones I met when I was helping steward a demo outside the Russian Embassy were all talking about me. They said they recognised me from somewhere and ended up up asking me how they knew me!

A friend is in a relationship with one. He seems okay, but I'm not finding out for sure. I once had a good school friend who underwent a complete personality transplant when he joined up. I have called to report things I would expect them to want to know about, and I have experienced neighbours and strangers who had them sent round to my house, once for kidnapping an elderly blind woman (deceased) whose sister said I was holding captive in my bathroom (really!) and once for kidnapping my own infant daughter who was having one of her regular town centre tantrums. I was very grateful that they checked up on that occasion.

I may be being overly cautious, but I would not trust any single one of them an inch. I just prefer to keep them at arm's length if I have a choice. I could not do their job. They have to deal with stuff the rest of us don't want to see.

• It ook me a while to wotk out that police work by targeting certian individuals. I came to be targeted for a while . It was only aftet a murder went unsolved because I had been targeted that led to inadvertent facilitating of domr men literally getting away with murder II asked to the Police Integrity Comission the choice of being a nuisance to me or do they want to go after the real criminals? I did get some FOI files on me wiht a fair amount blacked out .What I could read was some policemen thought I was mentally ill. A few years later there was a suspicious death in on of the flats next door to my house . I had various policemen visit me asking different questions. It was only when I told a female detective about the aforementiooned murder that I had no more visits. She was the first officer who seemed to believe me.

Re: the Thatcher era. Did things change under John Major or Tony Blair? In the 1960s , the biggest gangster organisation was the Robbery Squad.

• My mate's dad used to have a small clothing manufacturing business in the East End of London in the 1960s, along side hundreds of similar little units doing much the same sort of work.

The police used to come round quite openly and collect money from every single business once a month. It was a protection racket pure and simple

• Totally depends on the scenario at the time!

This is very true. I’ve had all kinds of dealings with the Police. When I’ve needed them, they have been there (not much use to be honest) but they have been there.

My first really bad encounter was during the miners strike when I was walking home after dark. A minibus full of Met coppers decided to pull over and rough me up for a laugh. Nothing could be said or done. I along with a few more in the village who were out on strike for the duration, had a ID file portfolio (photo and description) carried by the Police. They knew I was on strike and just wanted to intimidate me. Often they would stop and threaten to have my Alsations destroyed (making out it had attacked them).

I’ve been in drug squad bust, traveller dispersals, nicked, arrested, charged, locked up.

I once was invited (along with my work colleague) to a guided visit around a new town Police Station. (What a laugh) we were invited by a Sargent and tagged on behind the WI guided tour. My colleague had done six months inside for drug smuggling back in the 1980’s. They obviously hadn’t checked us two out before our invite. :D

They told us that every word spoken once through the main police station entrance was recorded. And only the glass interview rooms had no sound recording equipment on permanently.

I’ve manipulated whole police forces in our persuit of Free festivals, for their support (well permission)

But the reputation of the police was seriously dinted during the miners strike and I can’t say they can be forgiven.

One night in 1984 I was walking by a old man who had been drinking. He was nothing to do with the strike, but they picked on him (thinking we were together) he gave them some abuse and four coppers grabbed him by the arms and legs, carried him into the carpark under the carpark lights and kicked the fk out of him. I watched on because they really wanted me behind bars.

We/I gave as good as I/we got.

Years later I was shagging a girl and during intercourse she mentioned her dad was a Met Police Officer and she was only 26. (Just coincides she was born during the 84/85 miners strike) I’m still not sure if that wasn’t a turn on. Fking the offspring of a copper who no doubt enjoyed kicking fuck out of us on picket lines. While getting rich supporting Thatchers regime.

Since then I’ve known and worked with Police officers of all ranks and many of them have themselves had broken marriages, drug habits, wayward children.

In my book if your going to put on that uniform. You only get my respect if your straighter than straight, fair as fuk and have compassion for those they serve. (Not many of them about)

They nolonger intimidate me and since Ive smoked dope with several “off duty” coppers in the past. I don’t trust fking one of them!:insane::whistle: [plod]

• Got stopped in my car today , driving along and then some pig put on the sirens , I carried on druiving literally a couple of yards and pulled over he passed me and as he did he stared at me then after he passed I pulled back out to carry on with my journey , he then pulled over and I passed then he followed me again and put his siren indicating I had to stop , so I pulled over ! He then asked me to get out of my car and proceeded to bollock me stating I pulled out on him ! Very weird I had no idea what the fuck he was talking about and still can’t fathom out what I’m meant to have done . It shook me up because I’m not a confident driver at the best of times and I am a very careful driver so I really don’t get what his problem was ! He obviously wasn’t putting the siren on for an emergency or he wouldn’t have had time to stop me so I can only assume he was in a shit mood and wanted to exert his power ! I didn’t argue without him and just let him bollock me I thought he was looking for a fight and he would win I bet . That’s the only time I’ve ever had anything to do with the police and it felt weird and unjustified ! I’m not a trouble maker

• Thats the truth :thumbup:

It only takes one twat of a hippy to crap in the middle of a car park or block a gateway and we all get a bad name. Same thing.

One bad cop can spoil it for the good ones !

seriously,how can a creature [plod] with a tit on its head be bad :whistle:

• gypsy fiddler - the power trip thing is ridiculous. Is that what we pay them for? It's a bit much that you lose the right to be angry at such small-minded games, state-sanctioned arrogance and intimidation.

You did the right thing staying calm and not falling into their game. It's also a good thing whenever things like that happen, to write the details down, so if anything comes of it you can report it all as objectively as possible.

Hopefully, now with distance between you, you can have a bit of peace-of-mind knowing you will never see them again and continue with your life: whereas they continue to live their lives as assholes, it must be a terrifying burden . . . another way of looking at the 'power' trip: power to you. [And I'm not saying they are all like that.]

Hope tomorrow is more care-free for you.

• I’ve watched a few YouTube “police harassment” clips. Recording the incident on a mobile phone/dash cam, makes the police think twice. In America cry’s of 5th amendment and a right to remain silent, not disclose ID “unless accused/charged with a crime” gets the cops back up.

Thankfully We are more likely to come accross a fair police officer, than a bad or dirty one.

Do we really know our rights in the UK? Our word against theirs?

Got stopped in my car today , driving along and then some pig put on the sirens , I carried on druiving literally a couple of yards and pulled over he passed me and as he did he stared at me then after he passed I pulled back out to carry on with my journey , he then pulled over and I passed then he followed me again and put his siren indicating I had to stop , so I pulled over ! He then asked me to get out of my car and proceeded to bollock me stating I pulled out on him ! Very weird I had no idea what the fuck he was talking about and still can’t fathom out what I’m meant to have done . It shook me up because I’m not a confident driver at the best of times and I am a very careful driver so I really don’t get what his problem was ! He obviously wasn’t putting the siren on for an emergency or he wouldn’t have had time to stop me so I can only assume he was in a shit mood and wanted to exert his power ! I didn’t argue without him and just let him bollock me I thought he was looking for a fight and he would win I bet . That’s the only time I’ve ever had anything to do with the police and it felt weird and unjustified ! I’m not a trouble maker

Pulled over in a safe place. Waited for the cop to do the same and come to your vehicle. If he had stopped his vehicle in front of you, After putting on the blues and two’s and giving you clear eye contact, that would indicate, it is you he wants to pull over.

• I agree most coppers are ok helpful and doing their jobs and it can’t be easy for them but yesterday’s incident still baffles me but I think he was just some sad git who probly goes home and his wife won’t let him have any pudding until he’s ate his meat , it’s a shame because I’m a fairly law abiding citizen I don’t go out to cause trouble and the last thing I would want to do is cause problems on the road I’m a cautious driver so today when I got in my car I felt quite nervous , I heard an ambulance siren and felt really freaked out ! What he did yesterday was really unhelpful but in time I suppose it will make me giggle as most things do eventually one of those really stupid situations

• It's hard to know what to do in such situations. And when you're a good driver it twists the tease even more. But you're right - get back in your car and enjoy it (don't let the idiot get in your head more than he has). As you say Time is a great healer; and also telling us / others . . .

I'm the kind who will complain about things so that something can be done to improve the service, but sometimes that's not wise. For instance I'm not sure about complaining at a restaurant (will they spit in your food?). On a larger scale I am trying to sell my flat, the estate agent is lousy, but I feel like if I complain too much they will give me worse service.

Same with your police incident, I thought maybe you should tell the police station - but sometimes you don't want the attention. And from what some are saying on this thread, who knows it could back fire. Some people are odd out there and you don't always know which are going to be odd . . .

• Locally we get the 'fag-end police' in the town centre. These are anti-litter private 'security' police who tend to target 'soft' targets, like people in wheelchairs, and old folk who drop the odd fag-end on the floor. Sometimes they will follow someone about from behind, waiting to see what they do with the fag-end. But they won't touch the noisy drunk chucking his can carelessly anywhere, or the Greggs customer chucking his empty bag away.

I've heard these private police get the basic minimum wage, have to fine an average of five people a day, but after that get a £5 bonus for every fine (£25) they slap on. Their firm is employed by the council at some high cost to help keep the town centre tidy., but the council only sees £5 of every £25 fine; the private firm gets the rest.

• Locally we get the 'fag-end police' in the town centre. These are anti-litter private 'security' police who tend to target 'soft' targets, like people in wheelchairs, and old folk who drop the odd fag-end on the floor. Sometimes they will follow someone about from behind, waiting to see what they do with the fag-end. But they won't touch the noisy drunk chucking his can carelessly anywhere, or the Greggs customer chucking his empty bag away.

I've heard these private police get the basic minimum wage, have to fine an average of five people a day, but after that get a £5 bonus for every fine (£25) they slap on. Their firm is employed by the council at some high cost to help keep the town centre tidy., but the council only sees £5 of every £25 fine; the private firm gets the rest.

Yes they do choose the easy targets, but then again they still deserve fining. Every lazy bastard who throws stuff on the floor deserves to be caught and fined.

You can only accomplish your object in life by complete disregard of the opinions of other people.

• Re popo I can't say 'so far so good'. I'm in my mid fourties. Earlier experiences were not great but as time has moved on I've found the majority of the interactions quite fair and ok....niggling now and again and downright rude on minimal occasions...but hey I just don't like being singled out by the authorities.

• I once made a suggestion to the Police Minister fro NSW that the Unresolved Crimes Squad be made into a total separate agency from the rest of the police service. It should be a total at arms length with staff who have no relatives or friends in the police force. You can imagine the reply I received.