HAVE THE DVLA LOST THE FUCKING PLOT OR WHAT ???

• Hows this for a laugh ,

right a few people I know have been turned down lately for motorhome status on there v5s , so I dont care what mine says on the v5 I use ,insure ,and test it as a camper ,thats good enough for me , so for a sort of experiment / test ,I wrote a letter explaining the conversion I had done on VERA along with 100 detailed photographs , ect

received a letter back saying they would not change the v5 as although it was converted inside ( to there standard )

outside it does not look like a motorhome ?

right good I thought lets give them a ring , phoned up explained the reason , ahh yes mr ***** sorry but it does not look like a motorhome from the outside

me * ok what do I have to do then paint a big stripe down the side saying motorhome ?

eerr I dont really know

me* ok what if I take of the wooden shutter over the side windows so they can be seen , remove the tailgate so the rear door can be seen and paint it like a modern motorhome ( not really going to do this as I dont really care just on a wind up )

I will speak to my supervisor and get back

2 hours later phone rings sorry mr **** but we can not change the body type to a motorhome whatever you do ?

me* why its a motorhome , fitted as a motorhome , insured as a motorhome and mot tested as a motorhome and used as a motorhome

sorry can not explain we just can not change the v5

received my v5 back today v5 has been changed to SPECIALLY FITTED VAN ? WTF DOES THAT MEAN

phoned up VOSA to ask what that meant and what should I mot it as ( mot exempt anyway just asking ) and they said what is it used as , I said a motorhome , reply ITS A MOTORHOME THEN and its class 4 motorhome test ???

Just though you might all like a laugh

• Feckin ell, thats made me chuckle, sums them up in one foul swoop, they set regs and laws etc, then when it comes to it, they dont what the fuck they are doing to implement them and give directives on how to comply if someone feels the need. Thats why I never bother with re classifying. As long as its insured and tested as what I use my vehicles for, that's good enough. so Vera has now been promoted to specially fitted van, to me that can cover just about anything. So did they query about the installed burner in the photo's you sent or did you ommit that. My truck would be a special vehicle then if I was to try to get it changed on V5. The ministry just put it down as horse box as that's what they think it looks like, I dont argue the point.

• Feckin ell, thats made me chuckle, sums them up in one foul swoop, they set regs and laws etc, then when it comes to it, they dont what the fuck they are doing to implement them and give directives on how to comply if someone feels the need. Thats why I never bother with re classifying. As long as its insured and tested as what I use my vehicles for, that's good enough. so Vera has now been promoted to specially fitted van, to me that can cover just about anything. So did they query about the installed burner in the photo's you sent or did you ommit that. My truck would be a special vehicle then if I was to try to get it changed on V5. The ministry just put it down as horse box as that's what they think it looks like, I dont argue the point.

I sort of took the photos at a angle that hid the burner , had a look on the dvla website today and they are now saying the tk is mot exempt so it must not be down as a commercial on there system anyway ???

• I sort of took the photos at a angle that hid the burner , had a look on the dvla website today and they are now saying the tk is mot exempt so it must not be down as a commercial on there system anyway ???

I remember in March i looked at the .GOV webstie about the mot status of my van to sort out mot, it said on one of the pages it was mot exempt, I even rang a mate and asked, its 1990 so know damn sure it isnt, but just looked again and it sais nothing. so Vera is under the new changes and become mot exempt if you choose, I'd still mot a vehicle even if it could be exempt.

Yep, I'd always hide the burner, wouldnt hurt to build a false wall or cupboard round it if it came to it or take it out then do pics.

• .... Hi, er why would you hide the burner? What have I missed?

Thnx TW

Why hide the burner, pretty obvious really, dont think they would be mightily impressed, what they dont know dont hurt. Imagine it if insurance companies demanded an inspection before you got insurance, years ago on the road, the co op was about the only insurance that would hand out a policy to a full time live in vehicle, others wanted photo's of front back and two sides as they were not into insuring travellers vehicles, not showing a burner or stack pipe was at the fore.

Altohugh a burner isnt going to be the cause of an accident on the road, and although you are insured with fire and theft, the fire part being caused by a burner when parked up somewhere is highly likely going to see your insurance null and void in the event of a claim and I doubt an company would insure a vehicle known by them to contain a burner thats used. I got questioned once about a burner, just got through by claiming it was a show piece feature for decoration purposes only. It's a very grey area and one I would rather not volunteer for getting insurance.

• there's quite a few companies out there at the moment that wi

L insure with a burner... the only stipulation seems to be that if the burner is the cause of fire/claim the then will be no pay out.. obviously 3rd party claims will still covered/ payee out..

• Ah o.k, thats a ne wone on me, have never taken it further to find out if they wold insure with a burner installed. doesnt make any odds really as they wont pay out on a claim due to a burner.

• it may well be due to a ( fairly ) recent change in contract law.. ( nondisclosure of modifications )... Insurance companies can no longer Willy nilly null and void contracts due to the nondisclosure of irrelevant ( to the claim) modifications... the nondisclosed item now has to either have been the cause of the claim or had made a significant impact / was contributing factor ...for example they could argue that the shiny new alloys ( undisclosed) made the vehicle more desirable to a thief ( in a theft claim )... but they would be irrelevant in a RTA or a fire claim

• members with more than five posts will not see this advert