Turmeric and black pepper - experience and thoughts please

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Bonjour mes amis ( hello my friends )

Having put my back out recently because of an old back wound I am looking at something natural to use as an anti inflammatory hit.

My back was quite well busted up from a fall of about thirty foot onto a road about twenty years ago and felt fine until about five years after when the two disks that had dropped in the accident started squashing the sciatic nerve. I had a couple of injections of cortisone back then and now around fifteen years later,I have overdone it a bit on a job and have the same trouble from the sciatic as I did back then.

The injection is still an option as it did wonders last time,but I would like to try to see if I can deal with it more naturally first.

The effects of turmeric and pepper are widely known for their anti inflammatory behaviours and I have just gone out and bought a couple of small herb size jars of both ingredients but would like to hear of other peoples experiences before diving into this experiment.

I would love to hear the thoughts of you lovely hippies especially those of you who know a bit about this. I am sure that this thread will be helpful to others too if the response is as effective as some folks say.

I look forward to hearing your words of wisdom soon.

Love and light to all

fly xx :D

• Turmeric is a very good anti inflammatory, as is Ginger and Bromelein.. the three combined would be good, the black pepper is to help with absorbtion... As turmeric is a spice, it floats on water and doesnt absorb well. Curcumin, on the otherhand is designed to absorb into the bloodstream, it would be a far superior anti inflammatory in my opinion. Others may argue this tho...

• Hi. Turmeric mixed with olive oil and made into a balm can be quite helpful as an anti inflammatory. I've recently been experimenting with making a herb and oil infusion using fresh dandelion flowers and olive oil to make a balm for inflamed joints and arthritic pain.

Essential oils such as chamomile Roman & German, Lavender, Sweet Marjoram, Rosemary, Black Pepper and Scotch Pine can be helpful for sciatica. They should be mixed with a carrier oil and used at a low dilution, generally 2% essential oil to 98% carrier oil ie 5ml carrier oil plus 2 drops of essential oil. This can be massaged into the skin but don't directly massage on to an area that is inflamed, massage around the peripheral region. It is advised that you don't massage over any area where the pain is acute. Also, all herbs and essential oils have specific contraindications for use so it's important to check safety information from a reliable source.

St. Johns wort and Jojoba oil are two carrier oils which are considered the best for sciatica as they are both classed as anti inflammatory. Olive oil is also regarded as a good oil for joint pain and inflammation.

I find that natural remedies can work well but they aren't a magic pill so the healing can be slow depending on the severity of the injury/pain. I woke up with a painful hip yesterday so I massaged an essential oil blend over the area before going to bed and it was completely gone this morning.

Within the realms of herbalism/holistic healing, abdominal congestion is considered to be a root cause of sciatica so some people advise on ensuring that you have good bowel movement, are free from constipation and that you have good kidney function.

I'm a trained aromatherapist and I also have a lot of books on herbalism so if you need any information I can have a look for you if it would help.

• Thanks guys for the info. I am going to see if anything happens within the first week or so , but worst case scenario I shall get another jab in the spine. Last time around fifteen years back it really did work well with my legs feeling instantly light and young after the epidural. Would be great to beat it naturally though,but the long and short is that I will need to get out and please some clients soon and will not be able to until it is sorted.

The positive side of this is that the " expert " fifteen years ago in the hospital gave me a couple of months left to walk before having to hit a wheelchair for the rest of my life. since I have walked many thousands of miles,climbed a lot of mountains and done lots of hard physical work.

I shall always win,or at least until I lose,and that is not an option !!!!!

• That's incredible itinerant child. I can't imagine being told to expect to have to use a wheel chair but to have beaten that expectation is amazing. I hope you have success with the natural remedies but if not, I hope the allopathic treatments work well for you.

• Thank you kindly. It was a tad deflating being told that,but with self belief and a bloody good rhumatologist,it was not to be bad news.

The rhumatologist made me wear a lumber support belt for nine months,which I was only allowed to take off for my wash. Even had to make love in it,which could not of appeared too sexy to my french girlfriend at the time !!

One cortisone shot at the start and another nearly a year later and I was back bigger and uglier than ever.

The bit of advice I pass onto others because of this,is no matter how bad the news you get and no matter how professional the advice may be-DO NOT give up. The power of the mind is an amazing thing when it comes down to healing.You have to believe in yourself and make it work.

If the doctor who gave me the bad news is reading this - Fuck you pal :D

• I use Tumeric and black pepper in hot water like a tea with plenty of good quality honey as remedy against colds etc, although it's rare i get them, its a good immune system booster, cant say I've noticed it as an anti inflammatory but then I've never taken it for that, hope it does some good as has been said, tumeric is an amazing spice that's an all round good egg for the body.

• I use Tumeric and black pepper in hot water like a tea with plenty of good quality honey as remedy against colds etc, although it's rare i get them, its a good immune system booster, cant say I've noticed it as an anti inflammatory but then I've never taken it for that, hope it does some good as has been said, tumeric is an amazing spice that's an all round good egg for the body.

How much do you put in your tea and how often do you drink it?

Have you ever had any gastric probs or other side effects from this?

Excuse my asking,but am looking at this from all angles for my own good and the good of everyone.

May your colds stay at bay forever,and if they do sneak up on you,I recommend ginseng to obliterate them. xx

• My experience if it helps as everyone is different and i do have a cast iron constitution, I put in about 1 and a bit tea spoons of tumeric, it gets too earthy and grainy if you put much more in and you have to keep stirring it as you drink it as the tumeric will settle in the bottom of the cup, then about 2-3 grinds of black pepper, I go light on the black pepper as not a huge fan of it being too strong but you need it with the tumeric to get te best out of it, I would normally have 2 cups a day, one in the morning and one late afternoon. I do have it as a health tonic even if i dont need it just because it is good for you. I have never experienced any gastric or other side effects whatsoever, I really like the taste of it a sit is earthy, some dont, but you can dose it up witha good local honey to mask it, but thats me, someone else might say it makes them shit through the eye of a needle, may be best to start with half a cup and half a teaspoon of tumeric to test your system out then up it, but two cups a day is fine without over doing it, if you give your system too much of something it either goes out in waste or then maybe you could get an adverse reaction.

So give it a go and see how it affects you.

• My experience if it helps as everyone is different and i do have a cast iron constitution, I put in about 1 and a bit tea spoons of tumeric, it gets too earthy and grainy if you put much more in and you have to keep stirring it as you drink it as the tumeric will settle in the bottom of the cup, then about 2-3 grinds of black pepper, I go light on the black pepper as not a huge fan of it being too strong but you need it with the tumeric to get te best out of it, I would normally have 2 cups a day, one in the morning and one late afternoon. I do have it as a health tonic even if i dont need it just because it is good for you. I have never experienced any gastric or other side effects whatsoever, I really like the taste of it a sit is earthy, some dont, but you can dose it up witha good local honey to mask it, but thats me, someone else might say it makes them shit through the eye of a needle, may be best to start with half a cup and half a teaspoon of tumeric to test your system out then up it, but two cups a day is fine without over doing it, if you give your system too much of something it either goes out in waste or then maybe you could get an adverse reaction.

So give it a go and see how it affects you.

Will do. What you say ties in with what some of the sites I have been looking at say in that it is best to build up the dose gradually to allow your system to deal with it.

Just had a nice salmon salad with rice and veggies covered in turmeric and black pepper.

On a mission :D

Have also ordered a tub of 120 capsules off the internet that will arrive tomorrow just before I cancel amazon prime :whistle:

• I hope it's going well for you, but just saying that I had a bad experience wit turmeric.

The g/f heard it was wonderful and bought a load of capsules.

After 3 days of taking it I was violently ill. Dizzy and nauseous. Threw up like crazy.

Took a long time to completely recover, probably about a month.

A couple of other people she got on it suffered bad effects too :(

' When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place '

• Sorry to hear that. sounds like you were possibly having too much of it. A few sites that I read mentioned to start off with a smaller dose and build your system upto it. I however jumped in with 1425mg capsules and did have a bit of tightness in the chest and a bit of dizzyness for the first couple of days but it is fine now.

Probably coincidence but my back is feeling far better than what it was a week down the line of taking two of those a day as well as some powder and pepper on my meals. Have done two physical days work and its not bothering me much at all. could just be that I have rested it for a while and have got my lumber support on !!

There can be side effects,so well posted greenvanman;it is good for people to know that.

I hope that you are back on full form again now x

• Post by Maxal ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves ().
  • Post by Maxal ().

• Post by Maxal ().

• Thanks for taking all that time to look up and type out all that great info,it is much appreciated :thumbup:

With regards to the throwing up or having a bad belly,I would imagine that either the dose was very high or it was taken on a fairly empty stomach. Most sites mention the fact that it must be taken with a meal.

From my own recent experiences,I would say that it does pass much more comfortably having it with a meal rather than a snack.

Maybe a co-incidence , but my back is much better now after about ten days of taking My turrmeric-black pepper and ginger.

Bonne weekend xx:D

• Tumeric used for a medicine internally i find is best made into a tea from the very same packet I buy to add to food as you get a bit more of a concentrated dose than if it's in food, I wouldnt bother with buying capsules as I expect you will be paying a lot more money for the same product. I have never felt sick or thrown up from tumeric tea and I use a level teaspoon and a half per cup. As for back problems, I ended up ricking my back last week, trapped a nerve me thinks, CBD oil helped loads with easing that, I keep a 16% paste in for internal use. the firm 'CBD brothers' from Mildenhall in Suffolk are the best on the market for CBD oil's, pastes, balms etc.

• Post by Maxal ().

• Post by Maxal ().

• Post by Maxal ().

• Yes that is exactly it, you need food in the stomach and I find taking things oraly is always best after food. So probably the sick thing is because folk havent eaten first, hence why I have never felt sick on it. Even with things like ibruprofen etc, its always recommended to take after food. This is because anything in a dose, even natural things like turmeric, can hit the stomach lining directly and go into a stomach that has done with digesting so all there is is bile and stomach juices, thats not good for the system.

• Have said it many many times to at least 37 people !!

Its amazing how many people do not carry out the basics when it comes to healthy living.

Drinking enough water,breathing correctly,eating healthily as and when you can afford to,getting the right amount of exercise,and a good nights sleep are some of the main ingredients for a healthy life.

Smiling,being happy and not stressing are also very important.

I have always found that a good few mile walk always helps my back.

Doing nothing and bed rest can be the worst things !!

Whenever I come down with any health problem and thank goodness it is extremely rare,I always look to the basics and make a bit more effort than normal.

I mentioned Breathing and rightfully so,however what you are breathing can make a big difference too,so try and get plenty of fresh air and keep yourself wrapped upto the level that is called for.

Doctor fly signing out as it is time to set up the satellite dish for the last welsh game of the summer tour. xx

• Post by Maxal ().

• I put a lot of turmeric powder on my meat and veggies, and I'm pretty sure it has some beneficial effect, but... the active component (curcumin) has a very poor bioavailability. The only medical studies (that I have read) have used proprietary curcumin extract, some of which are not even for sale. Turmeric in large quantity can be toxic.

Turmeric is largely used in India, where lifespan is about 68 years.

• After reading this bit of your post, you really would fit in quite well at the breatharian festival, making full use of the food option of course, if they combined their ethos to include food and water, it would actually be quite appealing in a way.

• Post by Maxal ().

• Indeed for me too, good varied food is the source for all I need. I dont take extra vits etc, dont need them, food has all we need. I think it is easy to over complicate things which in turn can have an adverse effect. If you need something, thats a differet matter. I get cravings for certain foods if I havent had a dose of that particular food stuff for a while, it isnt because I just fancy it for what it is, it is becuase of the goodness it contains.