Legalisation of cannabis

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• To be honest ive been a passenger of many drivers young or middle aged with 'reactions times on a par with a tortoise' and just not perceived any hazard or rapidly developing situation in front of them that requires they do something urgently.

Id agree there are drivers in the 70's and above who shouldnt be on the road but equally plenty of much younger ones who shouldnt be also.Most drivers up to that age have fast enough reactions especially if theyre regular motorway drivers.

Very often its not purely about reaction times its about competence to read whats going on around you not just in front but at the sides of you and coming up behind you via looking in mirrors.Most drivers think mirrors are like indicators, just optional extras that came with the car.

Competence in controlling the vehicle in all conditions and competence to drive at the right speed.Many accidents are caused by slow drivers causing frustrated drivers to do stupid things.Or dithering about what to do at road junctions and hopeless at judging their own car width and whether they can get through gaps that theres plenty of room for them to proceed through.That applies to all drivers.

I used to be a paramedic in the ambulance service,ive been on the same class 1 course the motorway traffic police go on.Ive an Hgv class 1 artic license and a few other certs i got in the forces so i know all about what good driving is supposed to be and most drivers are pretty shit regardless of what roads theyre on,normal or motorway.

The problem comes when shit drivers start driving on fast roads when theyve poodled around in slow urban traffic most of their weekly routine.Theyre not used to how fast things change and how poor lane discipline and entry and exit of motorways or fast dual carriageways (where most accidents occur) can be so deadly.

I can guarantee every driver of an emergency ambulance, police and fire service vehicle on an emergency call has had some numpty pull out from a side road in front of them at some point in their career, when their own vehicle has been lit up like a christmas tree with main beam headlights blue lights and wailers and sirens going. People dont see you or misjudge your speed or distance or so stuck in their own little world in their steel cocoon theyre oblivious of whats going on around them.Its why accidents happen,not concentrating on driving.

People think of driving as something incidental to what they doing,chatting on the phone to passengers,or listening to music and smoking and eating lunch,Ive even seen folks driving with a newspaper or tablet on the steering wheel or having a blowjob.

If youre not focused on what your primary function is -driving- youre going to come a cropper, injure or kill yourself or worse kill, someone else.

I like drink and weed as much as anyone but no way would i drive under the influence of either. Youre not concentrating when youre in a drunk or stoned fug and if youve survived doing that for years its more by good luck than good judgement.

As a former paramedic ive had to deal with a lot of the aftermath of driver incompetence, stupidity or negligence, the injured,dead and also bereaved relatives.Talk to them about your stoned driving habits im sure theyll be impressed.

The vast majority of serious or fatal accidents occur on fast roads or high speeds inappropriate and above the road speed limit.

The vast number of general motor accidents happen at relatively slow speed in dense traffic by poor lane discipline,lane changing,changing course without looking or parking and reversing but theyre rarely serious and all age groups are equally as guilty.

Im not judging anyone,we all do or have done foolish or dangerous things,I know I have,but if you go mountaineering high on dope youre only going to potentially kill yourself which is your own fault.

Driving high on dope or drunk youve the potential for carnage on a grand scale and a prison sentence...why do it?

Accidents will always happen but combine speed with inattention and lack of competence in the skill youre gauranteeing the inevitable, add drugs or alcohol to the mix you may as well book your funeral or a cell now.

• in my neck of the woods ,we call weekend drivers ,sunday drivers ,worse at the weekends ? maybee ,i think allot of poor mortorway driving is down to people in a hurry ,rush ,rush ,rush ,as for drugs slowing down you reaction time , the same could be said for ageing drivers , so weather you are 20 yrs old ,or 60 yrs old .everybody must have quicker or slower reaction times than others .but the law cannot really discriminate against older drivers for having the reaction time on par with a tortoise,then you have the driving whilst using a mobile phone issue ,which is banned ,but i ask the question ,is using a mobile whilst driving ,any worse than changing the radio station ,or changing a cd ? ,soo are driverless cars the future ? to make the roads a safer place for motorists

If you are teaching/coaching someone in a sporting skill you give them a secondary task to do to see if they really 'own' the skill.

Andy Murray can probably ace serves to the baseline 9 times out of 10 whilst singing 'flower of scotland' for example.

Driving is a complex motor skill. Swimming is a complex motor skill.

If you will excuse me here I will revert to swimming for my examples as I'm too much of a control freak to drive. I also know I stand to loose my licence on medical grounds someday, what is the point if all it amounts to is pulling over when the aura starts, to call my husband and sit watching freaking tinsel until he gets there.... but I digress.

When teaching swimming, I'd get kids to sing. If they could do a specific kick and sing (their choice), my work was done on that part of the stroke. Plus they liked it and it was a good way of assessing fitness.

This being established, that a secondary task effects the primary task, depending on the level of complexity of both tasks, the level of competency the individual has at both tasks, any stress inposed on the individual by the performance of either or both tasks, how cognitively invested the individual has to be in either or both tasks.....

Gender and age are really interesting - feel free to look up the research on driving yourself.

I left psychology for pharmacology... thats what I'm interested in....adding some form of intoxicant into the mix, well....your just waiting for everything to go BANG, or is that CRASH.

Changing the radio or a CD is a relatively simple motor skill, unless you start to go into choosing CDs. Better to get the passenger to do it. You did miss a good one though, having a conversation with a passenger, especially an argument. Conversation appears to affect driving skill regardless of whether it is in person or remote, with the effect increasing with the complexity of the conversation.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/…abs/pii/S1369847805000471

My husband covers the Highlands mainly, please identify a motorway up here. Bad driving is bad driving it doesnt matter what type of road it is on. Bad driving isn't caused by the type of roads it is caused by bad drivers.

Incidentally, my husband is 60 this year, in your opinion will his reaction times automacically slow to that of a tortoise? Age is just a number? Yeah well it is a set of numbers that a lot of people seem to have stereotypical pictures and ideas about.

Driverless cars - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43459156

https://www.theguardian.com/te…science-technology-tapper

https://www.ft.com/content/600…03-11e8-aaca-4574d7dabfb6

Yeah, there is a comment regarding driverless cars, hacking and terrorism - makes you think.

All I know is my husband's current mercedes van has many 'features', it does stuff for him. As a driver he detests these.

In his mind it makes for less skilled drivers, who rely on their cars to 'drive'. One example was a lady in a supermarket car park who asked my husand to park the car for her as it was her mothers and had no parking guide.

• the difference between smoking cannabis and and drinking alcohol ,are massive ,the effects are completly different from one another ,the problem is that people who smoke cannabis mostly do it on a regular basis as part of there lifestyle ,a habbit ,the same as smoking cigaretts its part of a culture, ,wether they drive or not ,alot of people that drink ,just restrict themselves to drink socialy or at the weekends , when in comparison to cannabis smokers who generally smoke it on a daily basis ,so i assure you there are many thousands of cannabis smokers out there that are driving around stoned ,so iff becomes such an issue ,they need to ask themselves the question , give up your car ,or give up your cannabis

• I see many people talking on their phones every day,it does not make it right. With bluetooth technology there is no excuse. As for sending texts-wankers.

There is no justification at all for driving without a clear mind,I do it from time to time after a couple of pints and admit to being a stupid prick as I know better.

If someone tells me that smoking or drinking does not alter their perspective - then I would invite them to tell me why the fuck they do it !!

Of course it affects people and takes away the sharpness of the brains deductive cababilities.

Back to the legalisation of cannabis - I think it should be available for medical purposes only and sold in the strenghs needed to treat the problem that calls upon its medicinal properties.

I am not against it or for it for the public,though it does need to be regulated to stop people hurting themselves or others.

If anyone believes that it is good that there is a drink driving limit , then surely they must see the same for any other mind altering substance,shouldnt they ?

• yes but alcohol , intoxification ,can be measured by amount of units you intake ,cannabis cannot be measured in this way , you are either stoned or you are not , you dont get any more stoned from smoking 10 joints ,or smoking one joint , the effects dont really increase ,with the more that you consume , which isnt the case with alcohol,,one joint smoked is the same high and effects as 10 joints ,one pint of beer ,and your relativley sober ,10 pints of beer and your sick as dog and you carnt even stand up

• yes but alcohol , intoxification ,can be measured by amount of units you intake ,cannabis cannot be measured in this way , you are either stoned or you are not , you dont get any more stoned from smoking 10 joints ,or smoking one joint , the effects dont really increase ,with the more that you consume , which isnt the case with alcohol

Complete bollox. If that was the case then why on earth would anyone ever have more than one joint or decide to eat a few hash brownies?

I am not knocking anyone for smoking weed,each to their own. I have done my fair share of slipping away from the norm,However in life we must accept the responsibilities of our actions. You are either not being considerate of others or are quite naive in claiming it is safe to drive on weed because it is something that you approve of.

I would certainly feel more comfortable around a bunch of strangers next to a fire who had all been smoking rather than drinking,but I would personally prefer not to get in a vehicle with either as both would be in a lesser state of control than if they hadnt touched anything.

• noo im not talking bollox , i used to smoke weed for over 20 years , you have a joint ,it puts you on a level , you continue to smoke to maintain that level,consumption through the stomach has very little ,or no effect atall ,the best and fastest way to get effects from cannabis is inhilation through the lungs ,,

• Thats what you think !!

I could drink a very good cognac all day and all night long as long as I am not drinking it stupidly and taking my time and not feel pissed after a bottle over a long evenings drinking. The drink tests however would show me that it was not true,and if there was a test that did the same for weed,it would almost certainly show you the same thing.

Just because you feel nice and in control,does not mean that you are in control. If you go through life with that sort of attitude of self belief based on what you think you know,there is a strong chance you will end up in shit or hurt someone and only then you may realise that some of the other hippies that have been once or twice around the park may well have learned from their experiences.

I drove many times with the same mentality on smoke,shrooms,lsd,E's and many other things and thought like you. I am happy to say that I eventually got real and have avoided any serious accidents because I got reral before it was too late.

If you are driving down the road and have had ten joints you should not be on the road and you are certainly more bolloxed than you were after one joint.

Please be careful and think of others !!

• You are telling that to someone who spent 160 pounds on a hospital bill in the eighties after eating half an ounce of maroccan squidgy at a the wiesen sunsplash reggae festival in austria as I did not have any skins or baccy. Again,I say Bollox.

Do you honestly think that drug tests by the cops serve no purpose-get real.

Get wasted til your heart is content,but you go out with that attitude and run over someones child,you deserve what is coming to you and more.

If you think you can smoke all day and drive safely then you really are a prize arsehole !!

Many drinkers and drug takers think the same then cause a fatal accident. If your views do not change and you do not see the dangers it could well be you telling the parents of children that you had only had ten joints. dont be a prick !!

• mate i dont ,smoke anymore ,and i dont even drive anymore ,, im telling you , by my 20 years experience , and facts about cannabis consumption ,not just me but a whole holst of other people that also smoked it ,iff you have never smoked it , then you dont understand it ,which means you are in no position to judge it or understand it,im telling you ,iff you smoke a joint it gives you a buzz and puts you on a level , that buzz will wear off after a few hours , iff you continue to smoke ,that level and buzz will be maintained ,that high will be maintained ,it doent work like alcohol . which is ,the more you drink ,the more pissed you get ,cannabis doesnt work like that

• mate i dont ,smoke anymore ,and i dont even drive ,, im telling you , by my 20 years experience , and facts about cannabis consumption ,not just me but a whole holst of other people that also smoked it ,iff you have never smoked it , then you dont understand it ,which means you are in no position to judge it ,im telling you ,iff you smoke a joint it gives you a buzz and puts you on a level , that buzz will wear off after a few hours , iff you continue to smoke ,that level and buzz will be maintained ,that high will be maintained ,it doent work like alcohol . which is ,the more you drink ,the more pissed you get ,cannabis doesnt work like that

I smoked it for many years too,spent time with other stoners and see them today and people get wasted on weed and are often not in a fit state to drive. If you were never able to see that in twenty years of that experience surrounding you,then you were certainly smoking some good shit !!!

You were too stoned to face the reality of the truth.

You mention the word fact !! All I see is disillusion !!

I understand exactly the effects you talk about and know full well that being stoned meant that you were not completely coherent,in fact that was one of the main reasons that most people enjoyed a spliff.

You are still delusional if you think that people are completely safe to drive on weed and I am not going to waste anymore of my time on this with you as you are too set in your ways and justifications to accept that stoned people are a danger on the roads.

Its the same as someone pissed who has driven for years who says the same things because they have not had an accident.

Get real

• your a joker buddy ,during that 20 years ,i was a self employed builder ,had my own van and tools ,learned all aspects of the plumbing trade ,run my own buisness ,accounts ect , and worked in london most of the time for the highly wealthy ,working in there houses fitting the highest quallity plumbing and fittings, i no many other tradesmen including painters ,electricians ect ect ,that can smoke weed all day long ,keep judging me buddy calling me delusional and disillusioned ,your a comedian

• What concerns me most here is that kids may be reading your posts and think that it is fine to get wasted and drive because some plumber with his own business said so.

What you did at work by the way,changes nothing.

Any youngsters reading this know that not only could you lose your licence if caught under the influence of marijuana but also screw up your lives with a criminal record and maybe even kill someone.

Do not listen to this pratt who obviously is not too clever. If you were to believe the rot that he is writing,you may well end up in deep sh,,

The police do not do road tests for cannabis without good reason !!

• ohh i also used to no , a guy who worked for a delivery company ,he worked for them for many years , and he used to ,drive around all day in the van doing his deliveries ,smoking pot all day , i also used to no a bus driver ,that used to snort cocaine from a little bag ,with a little straw ,while he was driving his passengers around ,this was before they brought out drug testing ,for bus drivers ,your obviously not in tuned with realitly ,or what is going on out there , as for me teaching the kids , turn on the tv , go n buy some acid and throw it in someones face ,or buy a big knife and stick it someone , ha ha ha ,fool

• who was arguing !!

On ukhippy we debate,though sometimes hotter than others.

I still send you love and wish you well in life,just hope that you do not encourage anyone to drive under the unfluence and maybe one day accept that driving whilst stoned could maybe slightly possibly not be a great idea.

Do not know why goodbye in capital letters,I guess you are off on holiday. Have fun xx

• i never ever said that driving whilst intoxicated was a good thing ,but thats life and it happens ,and happens more often than people realise ,and more often than even the police realise ,i dont even think that driving is good , humans in control of these powerfull machines called cars that are capable of such high speeds is dangerous anyway ,and i dont think that at high speeds ,like on motorways ,anyone has got full control of there vehicle iff something goes wrong ,like a tyre blowout ect

• There seem to be rather a lot of posts that contain 'in my opinion...', 'as far as I'm concerned...' regarding the properties of cannabis - absorption, dosage related side effects etc.

I see Paul has introduced a new icon on the far right, as far as I'm concerned it fits the bill.

Happy to provide the research.

• iff you smoke a joint it gives you a buzz and puts you on a level , that buzz will wear off after a few hours , iff you continue to smoke ,that level and buzz will be maintained ,that high will be maintained ,it doent work like alcohol . which is ,the more you drink ,the more pissed you get ,cannabis doesnt work like that

I've no idea how you came to this conclusion. Why would anyone smoke more than 1 doobie if it didn't do anything? When my tolerance was super high, I had to smoke alot to feel more than that initial buzz - is that what you mean? Coz as a rule I get more stoned the more I smoke, and I'm pretty sure this goes for most people.

• noo im not talking bollox , i used to smoke weed for over 20 years , you have a joint ,it puts you on a level , you continue to smoke to maintain that level,consumption through the stomach has very little ,or no effect atall ,the best and fastest way to get effects from cannabis is inhilation through the lungs ,,

Consumption through the stomach has very little effect? Yes that's true, if you eat your cannabis buds, but generally edibles are more potent than smoking regular weed.

Here's a link explaining why you cant just eat regular cannabis, and why it needs "decarbing" before you can eat it to get high: https://herb.co/decarboxylation

• The average body temperature is 37 degrees whereas a thereabouts temperature for releasing THC averages around 38.

It is not that it does not get absorbed by eating it,it s just that you generally have to be quite hot before the THC gets released into the system at a level that works nicely.

Being an outdoor worker,I used to have a couple of cheese and bud sandwiches at lunchtime and during the next couple of hours the hit from it was slow to build up and much cleaner than the dirtier hit one gets with smoking it, heating it up too fast and the worst part-taking it with tobacco which counteracts the hit of the bud.

I also used to eat a little bud when walking in the mountains to the same affect.

This I mention just to let you know that I know what I am talking about,however has nothing to do with legalization and certainly should not be considered when driving.

• THC is released from the heating process of smoking, vaping or if you bake it in cakes or brownies in the oven.

It usually takes much longer to get into your system eaten in brownies or cake but takes longer to get rid of too.

I dont smoke it very often these days but i do vape it and eat cake and brownies.

• Post by wizard1luv ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves ().
  • I used to use a silver palm leaf pipe and loved the hit off that. It was much nicer smoking good organic weed through that. It made the hit nice and smooth and then you could get the oil of the back plate and enjoy that too.

It was a wonderful pipe,but sadly some git borrowed it for five minutes at a rave and I never saw it again :wall: