Your opinion differs from the concensus.

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• At first I thought this would be a tough question. But I have one:

Citizen Kane - I'd heard it is unequivocally the best film. Fine. But I thought it was deathly dull. I don't remember liking Cassablanca.

I'm not that keen on war films. I hated Forest Gump. And for the record, I like Sally Fields (though haven't seen her in anything recently), I think she said the lifeboxchocolates thing. Why shit on her, why did she have to be in that crock?

I saw a film that had mixed reviews recently, some thought it was pants: American Ultra - I liked it, it was quirky and fun. I liked the basic premise of the story that a stonehead could unwittingly be a superhero. Jesse Eisenberg plays the dope head really well. I was expecting not to like the film because Kristen Stewart was in it and my head had been traumatised by seeing her in the Twiglet Saga. That's a weird trilogy! The story of Dracula has finally done a complete turnaround so that vampires actually sparkle in the sun (and it is embarrassing for them because they are shy). Not only that, you want to hate the films, but they are oddly beguiling, beautiful, lethargic, pop-kids at the crest of every trend - the films are like extended music videos, utterly shallow yet hypnotising. One of the characters, not Kirsten, is a fey girl, with big eyes, short whispy hair, almost anorexic in build, and she can jump like a flee The final film, Breaking Wind, threw in a weird birth to amp up the shocks, it just succeeded in making the films even odder. But Kirsten seems to have emerged the sticky mess OK, by picking a few decent films to shine in.

I have to admit I liked The Piano, and Jane Campion, the director is someone to watch. An Angel at My Table is one of those classics for me. It's not just the film itself; the story of Janet Frame is amazing. That the professionals almost drilled a hole into the head of somebody who was so brilliant / imaginative - but then she won a literary prize so they had second thoughts and refrained from drilling the hole. The psychiatric profession was so whacked at that time (shock, drilling holes in heads . . .)

• Heaven's Gate was one of the biggest box office disasters of all time. It spelled the end for UA as the arthouse in Hollywood. Mirimax took off where UA left off.

Anyway it had terrible reviews on its release. American critics generally don't like gritty realism films. I am one of a minority who sees it as a work of art.

• Slumdog Millionaire and Avatar were two films that didn't live up to the hype for me. I only made it 30 minutes into Avatar before giving up and deciding life was too short to dedicate more time to it. La La Land was painful viewing.

• Rosewood - lalalalabland was a painful title! I didn't dare go to see that film. What got me was we were TOLD the film was brilliant by everyone. There was no question of choice, we HAD to see it. We were told that it might seem naff (correct on that one), but resist that feeling because you will fall for its beguiling charms. No: I don't like the title. I will not be going to see it.

I went to see Moonlight instead.

Strange what you said about Avatar, I remember liking the first 30 minutes because (from memory) I think they are floating around in water and there are lots of cool things to see, but after that it's all battle. I can't stand endless battle - I gonk out. That's why Lord of the Trings isn't so hot for me. I love Gollem and the talking trees, but all that sword clashing is tediously predictable.

And opinions can change violently. I remember watching American Beauty. The first time I hated it, the second time I liked it a lot. Maybe I'm schizoid.

And another turnip which people should have judged more perceptively by the title: 50 Shades of Grey. I waited to see this on TV (that's my excuse). "I don't do fisting." (oh, cringe.)

It's like saying Sex in the City is feminist, just because the women are central characters who do what they want - it's beguiling, commercial TV and yes sometimes very sharp, but there is no doubt it's part of the capitalist machine made to 1.) make women consume more 2.) maybe make women feel more confident if they consume more. It's actually quite sneaky in the way that it is distinctly NOT feminist. But now feminism includes so many views . . . (I went to a feminist talk recently and as an aside she defended Sex in the City - her comment irritated me.)

• I never understand much of the films people rave about, mainly because they are probably main stream crap pumped out for the masses. I used the netflix month free trial a while back, spent ages and ages looking for a film/s that seemed appealing enough to watch. In that month, probably seen two films, looked through pages and pages of them and nothing grabbed my eye, the descriptions are so vague really to get a real time idea if I would watch it all. What did happen, I started watching several, but got anywhere from 10 mins to half an hour in and I get to the stage of thinking what is this utter junk/crap/shite that is cluttering the lap top screen which results in laptop getting switched off and then I dive into a book, far more entertaining, I much prefer reading than staring aimlessly at a screen just because it's something to do. To me most films move too fast and there's not enough time to get into a character/s like you can with a book. Films that are about someones actual life in a kind of real time is o.k but most films seem to be t.v soap opera style, flitting about all over the place in fast paced clips/sections or whatever they are called.

• Maxal - you made a good decision not to watch La La Land, it was as bad as everyone said. I waited till it came onto Netflix and was swayed by the way it was supposed to be a reboot of classic Hollywood - it wasn't.

Sex and the city is dreadful as well, the second film is possibly the worse film I've ever seen. I don't understand how it even made it as far as production, there must have been so many times when someone could have pointed out that whole thing was a dreadful idea.

My favourite films tend to be the ones that I come across without having any prior knowledge of them. I watched We're No Angels for the first time last year and thought it was great. The Death of Stalin and Hidden Figures were fantastic films as well.

Sometimes Netflix has some good documentaries. I just finished watching the Ken Burns documentary series about Vietnam, it was absolutely incredible.

• Avatar - a potentially powerful message showcasing the potential destructiveness of humans in a fictional future, undermined by it all being happily ever after, not at all like what happens when mining companies take over land.

Maybe I just like films to be grittier than that?

• I never understand much of the films people rave about, mainly because they are probably main stream crap pumped out for the masses. I used the netflix month free trial a while back, spent ages and ages looking for a film/s that seemed appealing enough to watch. In that month, probably seen two films, looked through pages and pages of them and nothing grabbed my eye, the descriptions are so vague really to get a real time idea if I would watch it all.

Netflix is full of crap. I am sitting at home with brain concussion currently after being assaulted and my head is still not good enough to write or read for longer periods of time... I am on doctor's leave nearly a month, and I am desperate to kill time, so I am trying to watch as much as possible... And while there were few good gems on Netflix and a couple of average movies that would not hurt your brain, I am would have to get a few more blows to my head to become a target for what they have there...

I found out that American dramas and movies are mostly identical, predictable pulp, so I am looking into some dark corners of it and found some gems. For example Russian crime drama The Method is brilliant!

• Netflix is full of crap. I am sitting at home with brain concussion currently after being assaulted and my head is still not good enough to write or read for longer periods of time... I am on doctor's leave nearly a month, and I am desperate to kill time, so I am trying to watch as much as possible... And while there were few good gems on Netflix and a couple of average movies that would not hurt your brain, I am would have to get a few more blows to my head to become a target for what they have there...

I found out that American dramas and movies are mostly identical, predictable pulp, so I am looking into some dark corners of it and found some gems. For example Russian crime drama The Method is brilliant!

It used to be a common criticism that American dramas are sanitized. Orange IS The New Black certainly was not. They would not have got away with it on free to air TV even20 years ago. I was not so keen on most of season 5 where the prison was under riot and guards were humiliated by being stripped to their underwear.

• Yes, I am not saying that there aren't good american programmes. I liked Breaking Bad in recent years for example.

It's just most of what is on netflix is crap - propably as usual with the businesses like that. A few fresh, tasty apples on the top, and plenty of small, rotten ones below :)

• [That orangenewblack sounds good - I'll watch it at some point.] Regarding Breaking Bad, it is a good example of where my opinion differs from the consensus.

Everybody was saying it was totally the best thing ever and nothing ever would be done better. It was OK, but I preferred many things. I got a bit tired of know-it-all Walter White, the characters around him were better - his son was a breath of fresh air.

Sometimes I thought the central premise was beyond squeaking at the seams. A guy who loved his family sooooo much he turned into a righteous monster resorting to crime so he could continue to provide for them after his death, bearing the price of having to lie, becoming alienated and hated by his own family. Ahhhhhh, * tears * so much love! No, not really. No sensible family would appreciate such self-professed love. Watching the scenes with him in bed with his wife were cringey. Yes, we understand his high intelligence (wow!) and low emotional grasp, for me that made for a more irritating character - I certainly wouldn't work for him. He was less an egocentric twat, more a script contrivance allowing for an interesting story extended for too long.

There was a brilliant comic scene: Early on in the series, the Whites were having a party in the backyard Walter White was talking to another man, I think to his previous partner in business about getting re-employed. On the surface, the conversation reeked of help the guy who has had incredibly bad luck, but of course we know Walter is always right and he is now doing super-well working for the other side . . . Well, this other guy had big ears, they were sticking out huge, not only that, the sun was shining straight through them. Big, glowing ears. It was incredible genius to catch it on film. Don't know if it was intended as comic counterpoint to an ironic conversation or what, but it was wonderful to watch. (And I might have mixed up scenes to contrive a false memory . . .)

• Superhero movies, never seen one I have enjoyed other than the Dark Knight, but that was all down to Heath Ledger.

Ewoks and Jar Jar Binks are my fave Star Wars characters.

Breaking bad was boring. Never managed to get beyond the first two episodes.

Hate all “reality” TV, never seen Love Island or that jungle one with and and dec.

• orys - don't know if you were replying to me. Yes, I saw it to the end. I don't know what it is I said that made you think I thought whatever, you're probably misreading what I wrote.

• Very, very rarely watch filums ...

I find most genres far too cringy (in different ways, but the result is the same) so I don't watch 'em.

Prefer to read books, if the truth is told. Or spend time doing something ...

Yep, likewise, it's rare I find a film i can really get drawn in by. Trying to remember the last film that engulfed me enough to watch it again a year later, it was called The Book of Eli, that was a hell of a story, just looked it up, came out in 2010, saw it about four years ago on a free streaming site. the only let down was at the end. All I'll say is it's a pity it was the bible that got memorised to hand on rather than something really meaningful like Buddhist teachings, even so, a cracker of a film about humanity in all its forms and how folk can be in diversity.

• Yep, likewise, it's rare I find a film i can really get drawn in by. Trying to remember the last film that engulfed me enough to watch it again a year later, it was called The Book of Eli, that was a hell of a story, just looked it up, came out in 2010, saw it about four years ago on a free streaming site. the only let down was at the end. All I'll say is it's a pity it was the bible that got memorised to hand on rather than something really meaningful like Buddhist teachings, even so, a cracker of a film about humanity in all its forms and how folk can be in diversity.

I have also seen the later part of The Book of Eli when I was at a venue. Certainly worth a full watch. Gets 6.9 rating on IMDB . Do you mean how folk can be in adversity?