Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hurrah, having had to go and do a food shop yesterday, on hitting the fruit ailse in the nearest supermarket which happens to be Tesco's the first nocticeable thing was the organic banana's, no longer in a plastic bag, so well done on that score, although they do have a bit of coloured tape round each bunch labelling them.

Then another very pleasant surprise was they are stocking organic raspberries and blueberries, if there is organic available for what I am after I will have it. One thing I didnt look at was country of origin which does sway my choice at times, they were from Spain, I can live with that. so on having said fruit last night, I got to thinking, yep, they were labelled organic, yep they are from Spain, the question formed, how do I really know and trust they are organic, there is no farmers details and contact details so you cant ring them up for a quick chat to confirm, so it's down to trust.

One very good positive that could be a tell tale sign of being organic compared to non organic standard fare, they were full of texture and very flavoursome compared to the watery flavourless bags of pap that a lot of intensive farmed fruits and berries are., and they were not much more expensive thta the non organic, although to me, cost of food doest come into it, I want a quality diet and organic plays a big part of it. Amd to end, a good while back, I noticed a new line of yoghurt in Tesco's, it caught my eye, read the label and duly popped it in the trolley, it is called KOKO, it is a dariy free coconut yoghurt, and feck me it is the most sublime scrumptious bumptious yoghurt imaginable, made with fresh pressed coconut milk It isnt organic but is dairy and lactose free, soya and gluten free, made with dairy free live cultures, GMO free, suitable for coeliacs, vegans and vegetarians, no artificial colourings, flavourings and preservatives, it is amazing. I would normally buy Rachels orgainc honey or Yeo valley honey yoghurt, but KOKO has nailed it on the yoghurt front.

Hey, I've bigged up Tesco's but credit due where credit is due, there isnt a wholefood store within easy reach and I dont like food shopping on line, I havent got all day to spend driving round looking for the food I want, but I will say, by making informed choices, they are stocking some damn good healthy organics and foods from small kitchen businesses foods.

• There is really no need to be selling or buying raspberries or blueberries from Spain!

There is enough land in the UK to be growing these plants organically.

It is incredible how much resources are needed to produce 1kg of meat. The production of 1 kg of beef uses more than 15.000 litres of water. With the amount of 15 455 liter of water, we could grow 60 kg of potatoes , 83 kg of tomatoes or 118 kg of carrots.

• It is incredible how much resources are needed to produce 1kg of meat. The production of 1 kg of beef uses more than 15.000 litres of water. With the amount of 15 455 liter of water, we could grow 60 kg of potatoes , 83 kg of tomatoes or 118 kg of carrots.

Oh this old chestnut.See my blog.

• There is really no need to be selling or buying raspberries or blueberries from Spain!

It is incredible how much resources are needed to produce 1kg of meat. The production of 1 kg of beef uses more than 15.000 litres of water. With the amount of 15 455 liter of water, we could grow 60 kg of potatoes , 83 kg of tomatoes or 118 kg of carrots.

Indeed there probably is no need to ship them in, but as with most things its probably down to profit. I'm a funny one with fruit, I like fruit but only certain ones, I cant be doing with eating oranges but I love tropicana with bits in not from concentrate. I'm only really into banana's, pears, blueberries, the only reason I bought the rasberries because they were there and organic, I wouldnt go out of my way to look for them, occasionlly aples when English cox or russet's and bramley's are out, most other apple types dont do it for me.

What is wrong with a bit of trade? Anyway the UK has far too many people on it to be self-sufficient in food. Growing plants organically means being part of livestock farming. I have often read and heard about organic food being a con and a rip off. I would say the same thing about breakfast cereals where you to a considerable degree, pay for air.

• So you would prefer to remain delusional? There are many critics of the food business who have no idea of the complexity of the food business and you are one of them. Remember a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

:) I hardly think that not reading your blog would make me delusional!

You'd better be careful then, danger lurks everywhere!

• It is incredible how much resources are needed to produce 1kg of meat. The production of 1 kg of beef uses more than 15.000 litres of water. With the amount of 15 455 liter of water, we could grow 60 kg of potatoes , 83 kg of tomatoes or 118 kg of carrots.

The quoted figure is usually 50,000 to 100,000 litres of water to produce 1kg of beef. This is based on a beast being raised on entirely on irrigation grass. This does not happen in practice. Cattle are for the most part of their lives are raised on non-irrigation land , therefore the dogma you are quoting is misleading.Anyway there are many non food products that come from cattle such as brake fluid is made from bits of dead cow.See my National Cattle Day essay.

As far as producing more horticulture goes where I live in an irrigation area, far more fruit and vegetables than is currently produced, but greater production is held back by low prices.

Farming is not a business you understand is it?

• The quoted figure is usually 50,000 to 100,000 litres of water to produce 1kg of beef. This is based on a beast being raised on entirely on irrigation grass. This does not happen in practice. Cattle are for the most part of their lives are raised on non-irrigation land , therefore the dogma you are quoting is misleading.Anyway there are many non food products that come from cattle such as brake fluid is made from bits of dead cow.See my National Cattle Day essay.

As far as producing more horticulture goes where I live in an irrigation area, far more fruit and vegetables than is currently produced, but greater production is held back by low prices.

Farming is not a business you understand is it?

See my essay, read my blog.......

I'm interested in a Jack of All Trades, Master of None!

Goodbye.