What can't you do?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Most of us have something we can't do.

My big one is my total inability to play ball games - I can't catch a ball, or even throw one any great distance. In fact, I can't even play snooker or pool properly my coordination is so bad. :insane:

So, what can you not do that everyone else seems to cope with?

Don't worry about it . All forms of sport are completely pointless.

• or hes never been badly constipated :D

I've thought many a time I've given birth but thankfully hasnt been with the associated pain of birthing a baby. Birthing a huge turd once it's decided or I've convinced it it's time to exit has the same connotation of glad that's out and over and done with. I can safely report there is never any maternal instincts.

• I am normally pretty good at balance sports. I am a keen cyclist, I skateboard, I used to compete at mountain boarding and I love skiing and snowboarding but I completely failed to pick up the unicycle.

I normally pick things like this up really quickly but try as I may, the unicycle stumped me. This was not something I tried one afternoon and failed, No, I failed for weeks to master the bloody thing. I really wanted to learn but the bloody thing was impossible so I had to admit defeat.

I also have problems with left and right

Paul

• Don't worry about it . All forms of sport are completely pointless.

Why?

Many leisure activities could be classed as a sport in some context,hillwalking climbing, mountaineering sailing, kite boarding,go-carting, skiing,etc... some you enjoy some you may hate.Doesnt mean theyre pointless.

Sport keeps people fit and mentally alert,gives confidence,motivation and a sense of achievement,whats wrong with any of that?

I cant be bothered with ball game sport like soccer rugby cricket hockey except perhaps tennis( and badminton) so technically theyre pretty pointless to me but cycling rowing canoeing sailing,abseiling were a big part of my life,i lived for them,one very nearly cost me my life and broke my back but I dont regard them as pointless,plenty others would regard them as pointless but its just preference and perspective, Im as fit as I am because of them.

Doing nothing with life or spending it watching tv day after day is pointless.

• I first struggled to identify anything I can put my hands up to and say “I can’t do it” there’s many things im not particularly good at or haven’t given it a fair try/chance. For instance I’ve never sat down and played chess, never learnt the rules, but never been interested. So I assume I could overcome that.

The only time I’ve openly declared I can’t do something was in 1992 working in a small wood furniture factory, I couldn’t get to grip manually feeding table tops into a spindle moulder. The fk off spinning blade and my exposted face and chest just frightened me so much I wouldn’t/couldn’t operate it. I tried to router just two tabletop edges and gave up on the 3rd.

I’ve reached my physical/mental abilities/limits rock climbing. Overcome fear of heights working in treetops, been trapped while caving.

Having wrote the above I have had a reality check. There’s loads of things I can’t physically do on command now and the list is endless. My mind is willing but my body knows the price. For instance since my accident 2003 shagging can put me out of action for 3 to 5 days. This last shag has put me out of action for 132hours. (Yes she/it is worth it, although I’m questioning the price of life!) too much information :zipped:

I can’t walk far, I often can’t get dressed, often can’t drive, sit on the ground for long periods.

Give me enough medication and anything is possible I guess, so back to my opening statement.

I have tried to master the guitar, but my heart just wasn’t in it, so gave up trying. However I learned to play the violin and read music because I had the opportunity (down time, due to spinal injury) and I loved the instrument.

• I freely admit I can't play drums, let alone any other musical instrument.

Tried a few times, but I'm not a 'natural' for rhythm, so find it hard to get into the swing of it. Can just about do a bit of easy stuff if in a crowd of learner drummers, when a kind of 'group rhythm' takes over. My O/H is crap at drums, but she plays a whole lot better than me....:D

• I don't claim to have numerical dyslexia, and I would never loan anyone any money.

Why did you say bet twice?

• When I say sport I mean competitive sport. The essential point of competitive sport is to be disruptive to the aspirations of your competitor. This is an anathema to me. I like to see people to succeed in noble aspirations.

I do a fair bit of walking. I like cycling in theory. These days ridong a racing type bike give me a backache. Maybe a folding type bike might suit me. I have actually played touch footy and did not make a fool of myself. In 1986 I did an Outward Bound course that included bush walking, rock climbing, absailing, white water rafting and going down a river on a lilo with a backpack. It is camping a the most basic level. You don't even sleep under tents but under sheets of plastic. An Outward Bound course teaches you to be resilient.

I watch very little TV.

• I don't claim to have numerical dyslexia, and I would never loan anyone any money.

Why did you say bet twice?

Dont know why I typed bet twice, things like that just happen and only comes to to my attention when someone points it out, I never suggested you had numerical dyslexia, it was just something I've observed in life, like I've been a passenger in a car with folk who say they cant read or write but they dont have any problems reading road signs thankfully.

• It's dyscalculia.

Constant Gardener could be useless at numbers without having dyscalculia, just as someone said they can't do long division. It may be some particular aspect or aspects of numeracy that CG finds suck. Dyscalculia has more to do with a persons basic number sense and you can have degrees/traits of it. It isn't black and white.

I'm guessing your post wouldn't be quite so pc if you had written 'Yeah people with dyslexia, if they were stuck on an island and had to write 'HELP!' in the sand for the rescue party they would soon sharpen up I'll tell ya :whistle:

My husband has dyslexia. I'm the one who went to extra maths classes all through uni to cope and still struggles. I can do maths for scientific equations, pharmacokinetics and logic - I'm shit at arithmetic. Though I can do times tables which the tester thought odd.

Like Paul, I'm crap at ball games, I have mild dyspraxia which is a comorbidity of dyscalculia. I have terrible hand to eye co-ordination. When I was doing a gym instructors course we had to bounce a ball, 50 press ups if we dropped it. I just did continuous press ups. It was less embarassing.

I can't legally drive - medically exempt and all that jazz. Or scuba dive - that sucks.

• When I say sport I mean competitive sport. The essential point of competitive sport is to be disruptive to the aspirations of your competitor. This is an anathema to me. I like to see people to succeed in noble aspirations.

I do a fair bit of walking. I like cycling in theory. These days ridong a racing type bike give me a backache. Maybe a folding type bike might suit me. I have actually played touch footy and did not make a fool of myself. In 1986 I did an Outward Bound course that included bush walking, rock climbing, absailing, white water rafting and going down a river on a lilo with a backpack. It is camping a the most basic level. You don't even sleep under tents but under sheets of plastic. An Outward Bound course teaches you to be resilient.

I watch very little TV.

I see,Ive never seen competitive sport or competitiveness per se in any sport as disruptive to aspirations even if that can be part of it -psychological defeat of your competitor before you even start exists in most sport if its allowed to thrive or promoted insidiously- but in most its good natured.

I just see it as a challenge to be at least as good as and hopefully better than your competition.You dont naturally know how good you can be unless you have some kind of benchmark to judge by and that means competing against other people or the clock.

Life is about survival and being the best, as being the best improves your survival chances,its just natural selection in a sporting context.

Personally i dont see it as an anathema or particularly bad.Ive had to compete to survive all my life with disabilities and my unpopular gender preference so getting on a bike or a boat or in sculls and competing with all the twunts who'd had an easy life of it, gave me something to bounce my aggression and energy off of instead of doing something less constructive and socially unacceptable or anti-social.

The only thing i have much resistance to is the win at any cost corporate team building bollox...for which many send you on outward bound courses in the weird belief youll be a better office slave.

Being in the forces taught me team work but also gave me a stronger sense of self reliance and competitive edge to survive in real life and my capabilities which helped considerably in dealing with traumatic stressful things i faced in my later career in emergency health care.

I dont believe theres anything wrong with competitiveness so long as it is just that and instills the right motivation and not used -as it used to be in schools particularly in 50s 60's 70's -as a method of weeding out weaker individuals for ritual humiliation by bullying arseholes and demotivated and psychologically damaged individuals deliberately.

Thats not competition its a vicious dog eat dog battle.

• Um....I remember reading about the swimmer Dara Torres, her idea of not being competitive was waiting for everyone at the top of the hill on a family bike ride.

I remember trying to do a marathon with my husband - running together. :shock:

We had a major fall out. He can sprint faster than I can but his hip gets sore, I can maintain a slower pace for ages but it is 'too slow' for him.

• I’m very competitive in sport. I rode bikes for years. My team mate hated my aggressive attitude, but he was a more powerful rider than me. Often he would be waiting at the top of hills for me to catch up. He had time then to rest.

One ride out, I was at the bottom of a mile long hill climb and he was at the top waiting. When I finally caught up with him, we had a serious fall out and arguement. I blamed the bikes. His was obviously far better quality bike than mine.

So in a huff he agreed to swap bikes. Before he mounted my old bike he let the air out of the front and back tyres. I asked what the fk he did that for and he said “the seats too high.” I then proceeded to take the handlebars and seat off of his bikeframe and place the seat where the handlebars should go and placed the handlebars into the seat post, both facing backwards.

He played fk with me and ask what I had done that for? I replied “if your going to fk about, I going home.”

[contort]

• This is much the same season that my husband and I don't cycle together either. He is a far better cyclist than I am. I get nervous on the roads, I'm not a driver and I'd far rather cycle for pleasure. I'd never dare touch one of his bikes no matter how much I get hacked off.

Once my stepson went out with my husband and pushed him to do a 3 day trip in one day. he never moaned about me again.

• Ah there we go then, learn something everyday, so I must have seen people with Dyscalculia soon sharpen up when it comes to money and selling party goodies.

• Ah there we go then, learn something everyday, so I must have seen people with Dyscalculia soon sharpen up when it comes to money and selling party goodies.

I gather this is something that happened to you personally and not some issue you have with all of us with dyscalculia. You do realise that there are a fair amount of people who say they have dyscalculia are lacking in numerical skills or have maths anxiety?

i've been tested. :insane: I hope you didn't get financially stung.

• I gather this is something that happened to you personally and not some issue you have with all of us with dyscalculia. You do realise that there are a fair amount of people who say they have dyscalculia are lacking in numerical skills or have maths anxiety?

i've been tested. :insane: I hope you didn't get financially stung.

Ah no I have no problem with figures and numbers or dyslexia, but all I am saying is I have witnessed folk who say they have and have dyslexia and when it comes to counting money and selling stuff involving scales and reading road signs, these things mysteriously fade away.

• Post by Lightbringer ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves ().
  • Do you still wear your uniform ?