The Beanfield - 33 years today.

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Well remembered. this is the one major event apart from what was deemed to become the culmination of the main free festival scene at Castlemorton that should not and will not be forgotten. Over the last several years there has been an influx into folk breaking away from the main stream and buying vehicles. The option is still there to choose a life that someone may feel they are more in tune with and in keeping with how they want to live their life. After all these years, it's been nigh on 30 years full time for me, I'm too engrained in vehicle life to even contemplate moving into anything fixed that is far removed from truck life, house life is out of the question, a shack in a field or a yurt would be the only type of abode I would consider, health allowing.

• I have met a few people over the years that were there and what I keep hearing mentioned from some of the hippies that were there was that it was not just a few bad coppers there that horrendous day,but some really arsehole travellers too that were out to pick a fight.

Some travellers would love to see an inquest happen,and some would prefer to let sleeping dogs lie.

I have seen video footage that managed to get out of there and there were some complete pigs in the force on that day but have been told not to let it taint my view of the law as there were apparently some good coppers there that day too.

Nasty affair though and I for one used to hold a lot of hate in my heart because of it,as did many other vehicle dwellers.

Sadly,just another minority picked upon by the thatcherite government who were doing their clean up britain show.

The mine workers,football fans,and the Irish were just a few of the others that suffered under her dictatorship-oops I meant term in office !!

Hard times for many :-(

• It was a kind of marker of the final end of that period of post-war relative freedom of the poorer classes asserting their rights to a different way of life.

After that time, our 'hippy' bestickered van started getting stopped by the plod. Even in our own county, not just at festivals. They were just looking, of course.

When we eventually swapped it for a plain white van we were never ever stopped....

• Your not wrong there IC. Although on the day, there was the brutality from the police, but, in them time sin the culture of new age travellers, it was very frought and testy times within this culture, a lot of anger, a lot of drink and drugs, feeling despised by the state and citizens, but, for a fair chunk of it, it was founded because some of the things that were going on were out of order really and its not any wonder, it could also be said the people bought it upon themselves.

At the very begining when the roadblocks were put up, they were waiting and ready, and there was police cars in the road blocking the way for the convoy, then a lead bus went and rammed into a police car pushing it into another police car in an attempt to break through the road block, well, this helped set things off as you can imagine, if folk had just taken heed of the road block and turned back it would not have happened, but no, folk were determined to get to the stones as everyone felt and still do that it is a right and folk were willing to fight to gain that right, and then it culminated in what in happened the bean field itself.

It wasnt very peaceful in those times and there were elements of the scene that were out for a fight and didnt give a shit and some were going about like it was a dystopian scene akin to mad max. But dont imagine it was all like that, for the most part, many did just want a peaceful life living a travelling/alternative life away from the main stream because for those of us then as is now, the main stream doesnt offer what we seek in life and seek as what we see as a better way to be and not just blindly accept the norm.

I hit the road not long after and I didnt warm to the more rogue elements of the scene that could be said to be palying a part to cause the demise of the main new age scene, although I was floating around it as the parties attracted me especially when the sound sytems broke out of the ware house party scene and hit the free festivals when techno was being born, although it still carried on in large parts after the bean field, even up to the early-mid nineties we had some free festivals that were full on and looking back, it's not really any wonder the state frowned in the way it did and bought in the CJB.

• We turned to horsedrawn and like many, who either cleared off to Europe or travelled a different, more peaceful solitary route.

Travelling in smaller like minded horsedrawn groups. Buying small plots of land for ourselves and putting down roots below radar, effectively “dropping out” It was all good while it lasted. I still smile at the flashback of 8 and 10 year old traveller kids running up to the visiting Police superintendent and offering to sell him a hot knife at Stonehenge.

• We turned to horsedrawn and like many, who either cleared off to Europe or travelled a different, more peaceful solitary route.

Travelling in smaller like minded horsedrawn groups. Buying small plots of land for ourselves and putting down roots below radar, effectively “dropping out” It was all good while it lasted. I still smile at the flashback of 8 and 10 year old traveller kids running up to the visiting Police superintendent and offering to sell him a hot knife at Stonehenge.

Aye, the scene dissapated quite rapidly as you say, folk going abroad, going for the land option and similar life trips away form the main scene. I went horse drawn in winter 93 and stuck with that for nigh on 10 years, thus far, although have had some amazing times in my life, and the scene before hand was wacky and wild, but those horse drawn years really sorted me out and sent me on a journey I couldnt have imagined. It didnt take long to realise I was far more accepted and welcomed with the horses than with vehicles.

• Horsedrawn 85/6 bought land 87 I now have the most beautiful horsedrawn ledge wagon and a classic MF65 tractor to pull it. The roads soon became too fast, too busy for the horses in the late 90’s

Nice too, a good ledge wagon is quite something. and yep, too much traffic and a few too many close encounters with crazy drivers on the lanes, was heading down to kington one time, its a fair old hill leading down on the A44, got to near heading round a bend and a milk tanker was coming up, well, the driver had to take a bit of a sweep and he didnt see me but I saw him, that was a feck in ell moment, in his sweep to get round the bend, the cab was coming straight for me, I was walking on the

inside, it was that instant and close, the only thing that my reactions had me do was to drop the reins and dive down the bank bit to my left, I was honestly waiting for a bang, but honestly, how he didnt take out the pair of horses and crunch the off side of my wagon gawd only knows, that was a proper close call. my hands were shaking that much I couldnt put a roll up together for several minutes.

• Still see a few lovely bow tops on the move around Brittany , especially up in finistere. I have always appreciated the way of life but do not know enough about horses to do it myself and am a bit nervous around them after being bullied by a couple of attitudey ones.

I was just a few years too young to have been on the road at the time of the beanfield,but went mobile not too many years later. I did the site thing for a few years and was disapointed with how quickly it all seamed to be going down hill as smack was sweeping across the site scene like a tidal wave. It all got a bit too dark for me and I wanted the hippy life so took off in my british rail crewcab leyland terrier to enjoy me and nature. About six years later I finally sat me test :whistle: