Humans have destroyed 83% of wild mammals

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Very sad if true, unfortunately the guardian has deteriorated to the point that I trust them no more than the express. When you see a news paper printing obvious lies you start to question their motives and every story they print.

This is also why no real environmentalist would have children, breeders are just adding to the problem.

• Christ, here i go again!

Humans are basically disgusting! Yes, there are a few who actually care for this ball of dirt we live on, but the majority (in my mind), should be shot. It's nice and quick :D

BUT........ there are some who deserve the fate of the pain they inflict! Nice and slow.

Anyway, what's this thread about?

• Christ, here i go again!

Humans are basically disgusting! Yes, there are a few who actually care for this ball of dirt we live on, but the majority (in my mind), should be shot. It's nice and quick :D

BUT........ there are some who deserve the fate of the pain they inflict! Nice and slow.

Anyway, what's this thread about?

And shooting people is'nt disgusting?Most of us are guilty,unless you've been a vegan since conception.

• And shooting people is'nt disgusting?Most of us are guilty,unless you've been a vegan since conception.

No, shooting people isn't disgusting when they deserve it.

How many babies are born knowing immediately that they're Vegan? Do they just pop out and scream to their mothers that they want to be Vegan? Tell me exactly what is your point?

?(  

• No, shooting people isn't disgusting when they deserve it.

How many babies are born knowing immediately that they're Vegan? Do they just pop out and scream to their mothers that they want to be Vegan? Tell me exactly what is your point?

?(  

My point being,that most of us are responsible for the way the world is today.Unless you've been living a completely 100% sustainable eco friendly lifestyle completely off grid,no vehicles,100% vegan since conception,including no use of any products that contributed to any loss of natural habitat.the list goes on,then consider yourself guilty!I am.Not proud of it,and although I am planning on returning to my more simpler lifestyle,I'll still be guilty to a certain degree.

Interestingly I brought some vegan cheese a couple of weeks ago.....vacuum packed in plastic!!

• Just because someone is a vegan,does not mean that they are doing everything to help the planet. They are doing their thing and well done to them for that,however there are many vegans responsible for fucking up the planets flora and fauna too.

We are all responsible in one way or another and it is for us all to take what steps what we can to help conserve and protect mother earth and as long as we are all taking steps to help by choosing a direction that matters then that is cool.

We can all do much more irrespective of our fucking dietry choices.

Constant,why do you not climb back out of your arse and realize that there are many people out there that are doing as much good as you and some that are doing much more. Your constant banging on about veganism is quite irritating.

Your comments about shooting people and killing babies are bit bizarre too. They are either very childish and hold no weight or are heart felt and if its the latter,maybe a goodtime for you to deal with these issues before you finish your life behind bars !!

I know many meat eaters that are taking huge steps to help make our planet a better place and would like to see them respected too.

It does not matter what you eat,what you live in,what groups you are part of or what isms you practice,it does not make any of us perfect. we will only make a large difference if we respect each other and work together on this.

Well done everyone fo your efforts in making the world a better place,and shame on you dicks for not giving a shit.

• My point being,that most of us are responsible for the way the world is today.Unless you've been living a completely 100% sustainable eco friendly lifestyle completely off grid,no vehicles,100% vegan since conception,including no use of any products that contributed to any loss of natural habitat.the list goes on,then consider yourself guilty!I am.Not proud of it,and although I am planning on returning to my more simpler lifestyle,I'll still be guilty to a certain degree.

Interestingly I brought some vegan cheese a couple of weeks ago.....vacuum packed in plastic!!

When did I say I wasn't guilty?

I would've loved to have been brought up in a fully ethical manner, but i wasn't. But NOW that I'm aware of everything that goes on, I do my best, and as I said before, (which you didn't like), i do better than most!

Bravo for buying Vegan cheese wrapped in plastic, but it wasn't interesting!

• You did'nt,but as you judge everyone else so harshly,you come across as being perfect.You've just stated you do better than most?How did you reach that conclusion?My vegan cheese comment was'nt meant to be interesting.I was just stating a fact.

• I brought some vegan cheese a couple of weeks ago.....vacuum packed in plastic!!

It's annoying how much plastic is used in some processed food -- but I also get annoyed by plastic toothpaste tubes, plastic bottles and loads of other things that can be made of paper, metal or other recyclables.

However, animal agriculture is still the worst culprit by miles - and considering damage caused by the dairy industry, I'd estimate more overall harm is caused by a block of unwrapped dairy cheese (even though unwrapped anything seems to be the exception nowadays)

My point being,that most of us are responsible for the way the world is today.Unless you've been living a completely 100% sustainable eco friendly lifestyle completely off grid,no vehicles,100% vegan since conception,including no use of any products that contributed to any loss of natural habitat.the list goes on,then consider yourself guilty!

All true, but growing up most people didn't realise the harm they were doing, and it'll always be impossible for humans to live entirely harm-free. As for going totally off grid, well it's a romantic idea, but not a sustainable model considering there are over 7 billion of us.

It's not an excuse for not trying to change, or leaving it to other people.

• You did'nt,but as you judge everyone else so harshly,you come across as being perfect.You've just stated you do better than most?How did you reach that conclusion?My vegan cheese comment was'nt meant to be interesting.I was just stating a fact.

And wouldn't you just hate someone to be better than you?

Oh wait, I am ?

• lol Yes CG in YOUR head you are! In reality,there are literally thousands upon thousands of people better than me,and .....I'm cool with it.;)

• And wouldn't you just hate someone to be better than you?

Oh wait, I am ?

Is everything a dick measuring contest to you? If you really cared about the welfare of animals, you'd be trying to convince more people to be vegan, rather than lording it over everyone to feel superior. You're really harming the cause, but hey, I bet you feel pretty good about yourself, and that's what's important.

• Is everything a dick measuring contest to you? If you really cared about the welfare of animals, you'd be trying to convince more people to be vegan, rather than lording it over everyone to feel superior.

I agree with this, but I also understand the frustration people feel when so many are willing to turn a blind eye to science and evidence.

You're really harming the cause, but hey, I bet you feel pretty good about yourself, and that's what's important.

However, people choose to consume animal products because they choose to consume animal products -- in my experience it doesn't matter if people are "nice and fluffy" or direct and "in your face", people will find excuses until they're ready not to.

• However, people choose to consume animal products because they choose to consume animal products -- in my experience it doesn't matter if people are "nice and fluffy" or direct and "in your face", people will find excuses until they're ready not to.

I think if there ever was a place to convince people to practise veganism, a hippy website would've been that place. Besides, an "in your face" approach is not what I'm seeing here. It's almost as if she doesn't care that more people aren't vegans. You seriously cant see it Paul?

"The majority of humans should be shot" - really sounds like someone commited to changing minds.

• I read a few articles about packaging free stores that allow people to buy groceries and take them home in their own tubs and bags. I think it’s a very interesting idea - I’m not sure how packaging free the whole supply chain is - but perhaps along with some thought around the carbon supply chain it might represent a good future model.

• Yeah some health stores have been like that for years BenButton,where you take your own containers,and fill them yourself and pay by weight.Not sure big supermarket wise whether that would work mainstream.I thinking from a health and safety aspect here.Of course you can always try growing your own fruit and veg etc.

• Indeed! The trick is finding a way for it to work mainstream (and with home delivery). Individually we can all have a go at growing vegetables - but find a society fix where it just becomes normal to buy unpackaged goods is where, I feel, the real difference can be made.

• Some people unwrap all their food at the check outs and leave it there!I think the best bet for myself (apart from already growing some fruit and veg on my allotment)is to contact supermarkets,and request they re think the packaging issue.If enough of us do that,then maybe small changes will take place.

• Yeah. There is an interesting point of tension between on one hand the move towards self-checkouts & Amazon Go’s “Just walk out” technology all of which pushes the retailers towards packaging and on the other hand consumer pressure to reduce packaging and move towards the circular economy.

The tendency of self-service to encourage theft makes adding some packaging just to get a barcode on the avocados very tempting to mitigate wastage (pun intended), and packaging is practically a requirement for any “just walk out” model.

I’d much rather achieve more “reduce” than “recycling” - but it’ll take thought on how to do this - in addition to the occasion gesture of leaving all the packaging behind.

• People in the village where I live kept commenting on the excessive packaging in the local shops and asked for an alternative so we now have a fruit and veg shop where everything is free from packaging. There are paper bags if you need them but no plastic and everything is displayed in baskets. People have now started asking for a shop that sells bulk dried food so you can bring your own jars/bags etc. The fruit and veg shop has been so popular that they haven't had to do any advertising, all the customers are doing it for them.

• People in the village where I live kept commenting on the excessive packaging in the local shops and asked for an alternative so we now have a fruit and veg shop where everything is free from packaging. There are paper bags if you need them but no plastic and everything is displayed in baskets. People have now started asking for a shop that sells bulk dried food so you can bring your own jars/bags etc. The fruit and veg shop has been so popular that they haven't had to do any advertising, all the customers are doing it for them.

That’s awesome. I’d like to learn more about that - would you mind saying where it is? Can’t promise I’ll come out and have a look but I would like to see. I’m guess the end to end chain will still involve a lot of packaging but if we can eliminate while keeping the quality chain going it would be a really great business model to inspire.

• Way back in the 1970's, our local FOE group ran a wholefood cooperative. Mostly dried stuff, and grains, I recall. When we got an order in, folks would come from miles away, usually on bicycle, to collect stuff in their own bags, or use our paper bags. Some used to walk in with backpacks, even.

This could still be done with such foods.

Even meat and fish could be bought put in cellophane bags in those days, then rolled in white paper or newspaper. (You had to get it home quick and into the fridge in warm weather, mind!).

Packaging comes into it's own with pre-prepared foods, pre-cooked meals, microwave meals, etc. All gradually coming in over the last 30 years or so.