kraft's krappy chocolate

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Cant speak on French bread i rarely eat it.Coffee has changed, at least in the uk it has,because back in the 60's it was a choice between proper roast coffee bean coffee for which you required a percolator and there were shops you could buy coffee beans and drink proper coffee from and was an expensive luxury or for the majority it was kenco or nescafe or mellow birds instant,non of which could be described as coffee even if thats what theyre supposed to be.

These days we have far bigger and better choice of beans,grounds,instant,filter etc and there is a resurgence in coffee houses selling coffee beans so possibly one area where choice and quality has actually improved for uk consumers and caught up with Europeans who've been drinking proper coffee for years.

I seem to remember being told that instant coffee consumption has gone right down (in the U.K.).

I got a nespresso machine reciently (a gift) and my feelings are mixed. It’s amazingly convenient. I might go order some beans again and try to get back into using the coffee pot because I seem to just burn through those capsules.

• marshlander - it's nice what you say about your Papa not wanting to break the chocolate sculpture. Nice he appreciates it, and happy birthday to him. I'm a bit like that, I avoid the chocolate bunnies.

Oddly, I find when it is as hot as it is at the moment, I feel less like eating chocolate. I say it's odd because chocolate comes from very hot places, so you'd think chocolate would be perfect for hot places.

• I seem to remember being told that instant coffee consumption has gone right down (in the U.K.).

I got a nespresso machine reciently (a gift) and my feelings are mixed. It’s amazingly convenient. I might go order some beans again and try to get back into using the coffee pot because I seem to just burn through those capsules.

I believe instant consumption has indeed fallen. well knowns are tinkering with ingredients to make them more like ground coffee flavor and texture.

I think people are finally realising that the instant coffee theyve been drinking for years,really isnt that good.

The capsule coffees are nice (havent tried many apart from in restaurants) but terribly expensive for what small amount of coffee you get in each.

I do prefer the cafetiere coffee to instant.

My friend -despite drinking virtually no coffee at all - has a lovely coffee grinder and buys beans, has a friend (me) who advises on what beans are required and has a lovely percolator,its all just to show off to guests though....Im hoping one day i might be given this kit as surplus to requirements where it will be put to good use :/

• French Whale Fan and I have a wonderful chocolatier in a neighbouring village. My birthday present this year was two bags of specially selected broken dark chocolate with his different flavours. No milk or butter in Lionel's dark chocolate (and horrors like palm oil would never even get across the threshold of his home or laboratoire). mmmmmmmm

http://lionelmauricechocolatie…eFront&action=fiche&id=26

FWF's father is a pretty good chocolatier too. We commissioned Lionel to make a beautiful chocolate sculpture for Papa's 90th birthday. We took it to him yesterday. I hope he eats it soon, but I don't think he can bear to break into it. I suspect his girlfriend will get there first ...

Thanks for posting the link,the chocolate does look rather nice.I may be forced -under extreme duress -to purchase some.

• I don't drink coffee and won't be getting into it, but do like coffee-flavoured things. My mother used to make a coffee-flavoured ice cream which was delicious - egg yolks, cream, good strong coffee and totally good for you.

My mother always liked her strong, filtered coffee. And I caught on some program somewhere that with a filter you filter the fat out. I was surprised by that: fat in coffee? Apparently so. [Not that I am one of those who fall into the fat is bad fallacy.]

• Mondalez are intending to replace Fairtrade Foundationcertification with their own in-house version of fairtrade certification called Cocoa Life certification and eventually removing all the Fairtrade logos from all of their brand products.So basically they dictate the terms as to what fairtrade is according to themselves and self certify.Therefore it wont be a globally well respected independent org like Fairtrade awarding the certification though they do have a partnership arrangement with them.

Theyve made promises it wont affect the way farmers are treated but they made promises about the future of chocolate making in the UK which turned out to be worthless.

More here

Thank you for the link NormadicRT. Sounds like Lindt is the way to go, which isn't exactly a hardship.

• The only coffee I buy for my perculator is the cafe direct organic fair trade 'machu pichu' . It is sublime, with deep chocolate tones, when that rolls over my tongue first thing in the morning, like just now, its a proper aaahhhhhh moment. All Instant freeze dried coffee is just wrong on so many counts, it lacks depth unless you use a coal shovel full then its unbearable.

• Thank you for the link NormadicRT. Sounds like Lindt is the way to go, which isn't exactly a hardship.

Its one way to go but there are plenty others if you search for independent organic chocolatiers. Waitrose do or did an fairtrade high cocoa (70+%) bar and that wasnt bad or expensive.I think the point of all this is there are much better chocolate and confectionery available if you look and dont acquiesce to putting up with what Mondalez Cadburys Mars or Nestlé expect you to eat.

• Its one way to go but there are plenty others if you search for independent organic chocolatiers. Waitrose do or did an fairtrade high cocoa (70+%) bar and that wasnt bad or expensive.I think the point of all this is there are much better chocolate and confectionery available if you look and dont acquiesce to putting up with what Mondalez Cadburys Mars or Nestlé expect you to eat.

Very true. I did try Hotel Chocolat recently but I wasn't a massive fan. I used to really like the Ritter Sport but I don't see them about very often. The marzipan and dark chocolate one was lovely.

• This thread has reminded me of a show I watched a couple of years ago,which featured people starting small business's,one being a choc maker.Not cheap,but I guess you get what you pay for,and they seemed like a nice group of young people.

http://www.nomnom.cymru/

• This thread has reminded me of a show I watched a couple of years ago,which featured people starting small business's,one being a choc maker.Not cheap,but I guess you get what you pay for,and they seemed like a nice group of young people.

http://www.nomnom.cymru/

Ive just looked at that,seem like nice products so im going to try something from them.

They really should crowdfund their venture,it looks a good candidate.

• Loved Rowntree sweets and Yorks chocolate as a kid but when they moved out of the UK i stopped eating any of their stuff.

I presume youre referring to the chocolate 'factory' that was once in Aysgarth and now in Leyburn?

I bought a lot from them in Aysgarth but Ive heard a lot of derogatory comments about the new factory and new ownership,they seem more interested in running a bespoke eatery than making chocolate.

Shame but as with many businesses large or small, its the money theyre after and not much to do with building a quality brand and custom.

Yes, that's the one - so it isn't just us that noticed! It was a rare treat to get a tenners worth and see how long we could make it last. Not too sure we will bother if they lose their edge as a quality brand.

As an unrelated point, as you mentioned Aysgarth (I've got connections in Redmire village nearby), apparently the railway society recently sold the railway station there under odd circumstances. Could well be that they'll never extend the line now, particularly if Lord Bolton at the Castle loses his patience and removes permission to reinstate the line on his land. Seems like they're doing their best to kill off tourism in that part of the dale!

Anyway, I digress... someone mentioned coffee! :D Very glad to be able to get my ground coffee from a decent shop in Lincoln. Pretty awesome stuff now I'm becoming very much ingrained in continental coffee culture - the Swedes drink the third most coffee per capita, after the Dutch and the Finns I believe.

• Yes, that's the one - so it isn't just us that noticed! It was a rare treat to get a tenners worth and see how long we could make it last. Not too sure we will bother if they lose their edge as a quality brand.

As an unrelated point, as you mentioned Aysgarth (I've got connections in Redmire village nearby), apparently the railway society recently sold the railway station there under odd circumstances. Could well be that they'll never extend the line now, particularly if Lord Bolton at the Castle loses his patience and removes permission to reinstate the line on his land. Seems like they're doing their best to kill off tourism in that part of the dale!

Anyway, I digress... someone mentioned coffee! :D Very glad to be able to get my ground coffee from a decent shop in Lincoln. Pretty awesome stuff now I'm becoming very much ingrained in continental coffee culture - the Swedes drink the third most coffee per capita, after the Dutch and the Finns I believe.

Best thing is to try it and see if theyve lost their edge.

Im quite pleased that today ive found 4 new chocolatiers to try thanks to this thread...so thats a result.

There wasnt really much at redmire, railway wise, apart from quarry halt where stone was loaded.Not sure if its still there as not been that way for a while.

Ive got an inkling from posts om facebook the railway society is in dire straits so maybe the sale of the station was a lifeline.I dont think.it would be in Boltons interests to hinder progress as hes a lot to gain from tourism.I think the problem is the YD national park authority trying to create a static museum of the area rather than a viable working one.

As for coffee i can recommend These