Sinister behaviour in Bristol

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• There has been trouble between the van dwellers and the authorities in Bristol for a long time. Trouble from both sides. Usual complaints urine and sewage in the cemetery and people's gardens from this group but there are several other sites

I know others on here will disagree with me but don't make yourself so visible. If you try to fight the authorities and go about upsetting the locals the prospects are not good.

I'm sorry for the people that got burned out, can we do anything to help them?

Vans, horse boxes and caravans have parked up near a cemetery in Easton, Bristol, leaving the community furious

• If I remember rightly, something similar to this happened in Brighton a few years ago.

To be honest, its still going on in Brighton but its not "people like us" that are the problem its beachbums and German, Belgian and Dutch long stayers who won't move on. Goring by Sea where the Café is gets bombed out with long stay vans who argue with the council officials and refuse to move on.

People only need to use their loaf, its not rocket science, keep moving, stop kip go, don't try to spend the whole summer in one place.

Here on Monday, gone on Tuesday, forgotten by Wednesday. Should you then re-appear about a month later they will look at you and say "Oh yeah, they are all right, they will be gone in the morning" and you are. how low profile is that?

Its so much the opposite of the way I live when I am on the road. I could live in Brighton for a whole summer and nobody would even know I had been anywhere near Brighton.

• Keep moving on - and don't foul the site when you leave.

That's how not to annoy residents, you may not be "welcome" but at least they'll not call the feds/council onto you.

Free campers are fine, provided they leave only footprints.

I live near Hadrian's Wall, so get plenty of such visitors.

It is the ones who leave litter, damage the drystone walls and scare the livestock that I don't want here.

• Hi all - been watching this situation from a distamce for some time and wondered when it may "kick off"

Caught some interviews on Radio4 news late afternoon - No mention of Arson! That would be more than worrying.

The feeling I got from the interviews was very much of a mutual understandng of the others situation.... maybe a self selecting sample given the siutation.

Appears the council are about to try and move vans on to a site some six miles away. If that doesn't work for the council talk of banning orders and an escalation.

I only got to read a little, as the advertisements took over and i'm not having it! Anyway, i'm sorry that this happened, but WHY did it happen?

HCurrently using an old PC with firefox and a brilliant add on No-Script to block all those scripts that really get my goat and aren't needeed.- helps keep me almost this side of sane :-) I of course enable ukhippy.com and ebay.com when on here!

• My son lives in Bristol and I am there regularly. Its been going on for a long time, you can see one cluster of vans from the M32 on the right as you drive in.

As TimeWas says it was always going to kick off at some time. The idea that they could take over whole streets is just not going to happen

• That isnt good to happen to anyone. I can understand why residents would get pissed by having what is basically a long term site outside their front door. I have lived on the road a very long time and city/town parking is the last place I'd go, I dont get it to be honest. no doubt suits some people but I'm a rural hedge monkey, fields and trees, cant be doing with the concete jungles. I just wouldnt feel totally settled trying to sleep in a truck on a street. funnily enough though, the old burgundy and cream merc near the end of the clip was mine up till 4 year ago, made me grin to see that pop up.

• No wonder the residents are getting jacked off.There's too many in the same place.Around 3 mths ago,someone posted on our allotment fb group page alerting us that two caravans were parked up nearby to the allotment site.This person had already reported it to the council.We were curious so went to visit! Two lovely couples were living in the vans,had got kicked out of a nearby village so had moved on.These people were new age travellers,and I think what scares most people is they assume if its just two vans.......soon it'll be 3.....then 4...and thats whats happened in the street in Bristol.The following day,our new age travellers were gone,presumably moved on by the authorities.

• It's difficult, isn't it, on the one hand I think people should be free to travel and live where they like but on the other if your chosen abode is a house you can't move it if someone you don't like moves in next door and that's the problem. Maybe things would be easier if we all lived in mobile homes of some kind and all just moved from one site to another towing our houses behind us instead of growing very attached to one place?

• We've moved on several occasions because of neighbour lifestyle not being compatible with ours (we are quiet, they were constantly noisy, plus I have GAD and am hypersensitive to sound). Hoping to solve that one when we eventually move to a council bungalow (unless neighbours are deaf and like their TV loud) and take to the road in the warmer drier months. The problem with living in houses especially in crowded areas is that everyone's expected to get along, no matter what their differences, and it just doesn't work.

• We've moved on several occasions because of neighbour lifestyle not being compatible with ours (we are quiet, they were constantly noisy, plus I have GAD and am hypersensitive to sound). Hoping to solve that one when we eventually move to a council bungalow (unless neighbours are deaf and like their TV loud) and take to the road in the warmer drier months. The problem with living in houses especially in crowded areas is that everyone's expected to get along, no matter what their differences, and it just doesn't work.

Other people's noise can be so frustrating. We're lucky where we live now as it's very quiet but our last place was awful. Most of the neighbours were fine but there was one family who just never seemed to sleep or stop shouting at each other. It's very difficult. I hope you can get into your quiet bungalow soon :)

• When I was much younger in my early 20's,I lived in a shared rental,with two other ladies,I was dating the roadie of their boyfriends heavy metal band!We thought nothing of having all night parties,usually people sprawled out pissed on the back lawn....Cops were called quite regularly by the neighbours!

For quite a few years now,I thrive on peace and quiet,and reckon due to having to endure living next door to a few shitty neighbours over the years,karma has hit my butt a few times!:D I have been known to look skywards and say out loud...."Ok I get it,enough Karma thanks!"lol

Now I'm much older and wiser,I sometimes cringe and suffer from guilt,knowing we were making the neighbours back then pretty miserable.

The street in Bristol though.... why do they all hang out together in the same street?

• When I was much younger in my early 20's,I lived in a shared rental,with two other ladies,I was dating the roadie of their boyfriends heavy metal band!We thought nothing of having all night parties,usually people sprawled out pissed on the back lawn....Cops were called quite regularly by the neighbours!

For quite a few years now,I thrive on peace and quiet,and reckon due to having to endure living next door to a few shitty neighbours over the years,karma has hit my butt a few times!:D I have been known to look skywards and say out loud...."Ok I get it,enough Karma thanks!"lol

Now I'm much older and wiser,I sometimes cringe and suffer from guilt,knowing we were making the neighbours back then pretty miserable.

The street in Bristol though.... why do they all hang out together in the same street?

Likewise, I've done with noisy living nowadays, it's different when younger. I couldnt be doing wit having neighbours at close quarters unless they were quiet. I love my music and will often blast it as psy trance is my thang amd love a good weekend partying in a field but I would not crank it up to dance while I'm cooking me dinner if it was going to spoil someone elses quiet, I am very conscious about the impact I have on other people, it's sad that a lot of people these days dont have the same attitude, its a selfish world and folk will do what they want when they want regardless of others around them. To a lot of folk, they wouldnt notice it as they are used to it, I know this as I ask. your out in the garden, nice sunny day, reading, chilling, enjoying some peace and quiet, then boom, neighbour decides they want to strim and or mow their garden, wow, that would fuck me off big time if I lived in a house. They have a right to mow their garden, but in my mind I also have the right to not have thoer noise polluting my peace. the park up where my truck is in a yard where a coupe of work shops are, but its minimal noise and a lot of the time you dont hear nothing, so evenings and weekends it is bliss, get the odd plane go over or motorbikes and cars cutting through the lanes, so can read in utter peace in the knowledge that some noisy git isnt going to start a motor or run a grinder for 3 hours and ruin it. People do not realise how noisy the world is these days, I couldnt bear living in london or bristol etc, all day all night, police and emergency sirens, jumbo jets screaming over head, where a mate lives, its unbearable, he sais he's used to it, but living 8 miles from heathrow, there is no peace for long until late at night.

Now, if I was labelled I would certainly fall into new age traveller bracket, I cringe at how some others go about their new age traveller life, even in the late 80's early nineties, folk didnt help themsleves one bit to try and keep things smooth, and even these days, they wonder why society is bad on them. I saw a documentary on you tube recently that was filmed not that long ago about younger generations in vans living in and around Bristol, well I'm sorry, no wonder they get shit off authorities and locals. There are better ways to go about it to be more accepted.

I totally get it that if someone is working or at uni in say Bristol and give the price of rooms/flats etc is expensive and dont want to give all the hard earned to others just to exist with a bed for the night and have very little left to live on once the bills are paid , so go into van life, but if it was me, keeping a van on the street so its easy access to work or uni means you can insure and tax a vehicle, you really dont have to go very far to get out in the sticks and find a little cooch up for the night then back in and park in a street for the day, do what you need to then back out again, after all, many people form the main stream drive their cars to and from work. would be far less hassle than what is in effect a street site. I could go unnoticed that way, then you dont get no shit from authorities and locals as you can change where you park for the day and occasional night and where you drive out of the city to find a few quiet ittle park ups out the way. Makes life for all concernced considerably better. But in the documentary I will say, spoilt and entitled comes to mind from some of them interviewed, there wasnt much evidence of practical and common sense.

• My husband and I are incredibly quiet people.In summer,we have our back door open,ensuring we use headphones for any music listened to etc.We also talk very quietly when outside so as not to disturb anyone else.On the other hand,one of our neighbours,always talks on his bloody mobile in his garden ALOT!His voice is incredibly loud,like he's nearly shouting his convo's.A couple of weeks ago,we had a beautiful sunny day.I had a day off work,so was very lucky.I was sat outside,no noise except birdsong.5 mins later neighbours back door opened,he then proceeded to have an hour long convo on his mobile.I could hear every word because you could'nt exactly avoid it.Then....his wife brought their 3 mth old baby outside,baby started screaming......that lasted about 20 mins,until she took it back inside.He then proceeded to light the BBQ,his house is on the end of the terrace,but he has his BBQ of course on our adjoining fence,right next to our seating area.Not sure wtf he was doing,but he was literally cooking for 3 hrs solid????They did'nt have guests over either!One thing,as an aussie I have found very difficult to adjust to,is living such close proximity to other people.Sometimes it really does do my head in.I ended up coming back inside,headphones on,to drown out his bloody voice.

• This thread seems to have gone from arson/attempted murder to noise pollution !!

I have a couple of peavey speakers with 15 inch subs ,a 1200w amp and batterys /genny to power it on my bus (as some may know) , they get used for parties or when I know that I am not gonna annoy anyone except present company, and they are welcome to ask for a change in either genre or volume (often its 'turn this up mate!! ).

I cant count the number of times 'wild-parked' that i have be woken or kept awake by farmers doing stuff with their combine harvesters and cattle birthing,apache and lynx helicopters having a nose around not to mention badgers, foxes and pheasants (all noisy feckers). The worse thing by far for me lately is staying in suburbia looking after my old man,busy main road with wankers playing drum and bass in the morning traffic windows down and system up , if I was to play that shit at that volume whilst parked up the old bill would confiscate the kit !!

rant over ... for now

• I suppose going onto noise pollution via other things, that I suppose would be in the perspective of the house dwellers in the streets where a lot of folk are parked. Well, for them, folk just being there is seen as a nuisance, a form of pollution in their eyes. To us, it is folk just wanting somewhere to be for whatever reason. I like my park up for general day to day existence to be pretty quiet these days, have lived the mad lary days, but a phat soundsystem knocking out some banging acid techno, or hard and fast psy is always welcome for three days in a field. there's drum and base and drum and base, what you hear out of the cars shroom is for pansies, real drum and base is different kettle of fish and a whole lot better.

Feel for you being in suburbia, but looking after your old man is your priority, hope things go well.

• Just had some information I thought I would share ...

In the Top Left-hand Corner of Wales there are some splendid beaches.

One of them is "Black Rock Sands" or Morfa Bychan.

Recently, the number of vans / motorhomes etc camping overnight has increased.

The problem has been the discharge of sewerage and grey water onto the beach, or blocking the WCs in the beach toilets.

IIRC, there is a proper elsan disposal point at the official campsite.

The local people and respectful visitors are getting annoyed, and the result will probably be stricter and enforced byelaws prohibiting overnight camping on the beach (or even banning vehicles from the beach entirely).

Why is it some Selfish Tw*ts have to ruin it for everyone ...

• YOU ARE SO RIGHT! it is not difficult. Its the same in Brighton and definitely the same in Bristol. I like your use of the word "respectful" it perfectly sums it up.

Respectful, I like that word. Dignity is another, my take on the people who are causing the problems is that they are just selfish. A lot of the motorhomes in North Wales are probably just trying to avoid paying the £30 a night for the campsite

You should be like a leaf, blown by the wind.

• YOU ARE SO RIGHT! it is not difficult. Its the same in Brighton and definitely the same in Bristol. I like your use of the word "respectful" it perfectly sums it up.

Respectful, I like that word. Dignity is another, my take on the people who are causing the problems is that they are just selfish. A lot of the motorhomes in North Wales are probably just trying to avoid paying the £30 a night for the campsite

You should be like a leaf, blown by the wind.

Thanks Bernie ...

When you consider how much money they will have spent, either buying or hiring those monster motorhomes ...

These are the same sort of people who leave broken glass and plastic behind them.

Some years ago I was out hill-walking, on part of what is now the Hadrian's Wall Path, and came upon a group I thought were admiring the view whilst have a food/drink break.

The amount detritus left behind at this popular point is astounding, as I said to this group - you've carried full packets and bottles to the spot, they'll be a lot lighter to carry away empty to a disposal / recycling point.

I made a point of repacking my stuff into my daysack !! even the banana skin went back with me.

(I had helped litter pick there about a month before and it was nearly as bad as it was then - we sorted and (part) filled at least half a dozen bags with plastic bottles and buried some apples cores etc under the hedge)

To be fair to this group's leader, he made sure that they did pick their stuff up, and some extra.

• With place slike folk gatheirng and stopping in North Wales, again it goes to prove there is a need for sites, but there will always be elemnts of folk that want to stay somewhere long term and not pay even a small amount for the upkeep or provision of a site. All round there is no excuse to turn a place into a slum with little regard for an area.

• All the vehicles on this road have been evicted and apparently there's signs up saying that camper vans are only allowed to park there for a maximum of 2 hours in every 24. If they can do this here what's stopping them doing it everywhere..

• I still dont get why anyone would want to live in a vehicle in a street, might as well rent a house/room in the street if they want to live there that much, look I've been on the road nigh on 30 years and have never felt the need to city park up, always make a point of avoiding them, couldnt handle living in the dirty noisy shitholes. It''s not hard to imagine that a street park up dont half attract the attention. Takes all sorts to make the world go round.

• a good half of the vehicles are not fit for the road plus some of the occupants do not have a driving licence. travellers ? haha

I made a point a while back to watch a couple of docs on you tube about this, Mmmm, there was some head shaking going on on top of my shoulders, from what I saw its probably a good thing a fair few of them were holed up in a city as they hadnt got a clue and certainly hadnt got much where-with-all to be elsewhere especially out in the sticks. There was one couple, well, lame or what, they couldnt handle life out on the road thats for sure, one girl barely had the brain to hand function and co ordination to light a little camping stove and make a brew.

Seems to me now the word traveller is more a state of mind not a state of being and doing. when folk have said to me oh traveller you are, nah, nomad got politely returned as that is far more descriptive of the life. but now I have been on a yard park up for nigh on three years which have never done before, always been full on nomadding it, It's more square wheeler nowadays.

I remember once when horse drawn years ago, I was down in somerset and heading down a lane, there was a bunch of ex council houses in a row, one fella came out looking enthused and got chatting, nice fella, knew about wagons he said quote ' I'm a traveller- live in that house there'. i was struggling to stay a bit composed.

Seems that folk doing the city park ups are termed as van dwellers rather than travellers. words have meanings to depict or describe something, at least pick the appropriate one and use it.

Must be an old skool thing Wandering Gypsy, a while back someone was talking about their bus, and pointing, I was looking round, I couldnt see bus, I could see a small converted 12 seater LDV, in converted terms, a truck is a truck, a van is a van, a bus is a bus, a bender is a bender, etc etc, a VW T3 or an LDV convoy is not a bus.

• All the vehicles on this road have been evicted and apparently there's signs up saying that camper vans are only allowed to park there for a maximum of 2 hours in every 24. If they can do this here what's stopping them doing it everywhere..

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/…ouncil-orders-van-1638502

I think the key statement in the report was that "most" of the van dwellers (allegedly) said it was not a lifestyle choice and the camp was the result of a housing shortage in Bristol

• Well that

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/…ouncil-orders-van-1638502

I think the key statement in the report was that "most" of the van dwellers (allegedly) said it was not a lifestyle choice and the camp was the result of a housing shortage in Bristol

Well that's my cue:-

My previous readings of reports about the Bristol thing quoted the council as having a desire to see people living in "bricks and mortar".

Maybe it's purely innocent and unfortunate that bricks and mortar accomodation; as it stands, is not of particular appeal to otherwise minded folk.

Millennials are telling me that they could make the rent or mortgage at a stretch if they had gaurenteed hours/earnings but overall 'whats on offer does'nt represent value'.....it's "overpriced" when weighed up against the 'lack of security' and generally 'crap quality of life that the accomodation offers'

• That does highlight the ongoing need for places set aside for alternative living solutions. It's not a travelling/traveller life and transit sites are lacking as well. There is so much gentrification going on as houses are seen as a business these days and its all about portfolio's and market value worth rather than buying a home in the traditional sense hence the stupid crazy prices which is way off for the average youngsters. I never wanted a house and couldnt afford one even if I did, even the rent is extortionate. £700 +a month going in someone elses pocket for a roof and a bed and for that round here you are going to get a gaff in a shitty noisy street or estate, sod that.