How to start?

• Hi and welcome to the forum.

This office wouldn't be a newspaper or magazine office would it?

This journey is different for everyone and depends on a lot of factors like. Do you have a lot of money, do you intend to carry on working in an office or are you willing to earn money in other ways, do you have children, do you have a partner who feels the same, do you have any relevant skills etc?

Anything is possible if you are willing to sacrifice

Paul

• Post by Rosewood ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves ().
  • I don’t have plans as such so have been trying to come up with ideas. I was thinking of a total break so not working anymore. I wondered a bit about buying somwhere - nothing firmed up.

I think it would be a shock to the system to go straight from super corporate to not - but maybe that’s the best way to make sure that I did actually change and not get sucked back in.

• Jobshare for a while maybe?

Might give you time to consider how to apply transferable skills elsewhere.

Or just stay super corporate.

Personally I could never step on that ladder but if you are already there and doing ok then why rock your world?

Is it causing you problems?

Its mental health week this week.

Care to share?

• No, no problems. I’m perfectly happy - I got to work and it’s interesting stuff, I get to travel and see airports, offices and hotels all over the world.

I just thought that maybe the work-promotion-money cycle had served its purpose and it was maybe time to do something else.

• members with more than five posts will not see this advert

• Sounds like your professional work life isnt sufficiently disdainful to motivate much of a change in lifestyle.

Usually in such circumstances only serious change in working environment (making one depressed,hyper stressed,bullied, etc or being made redundant or bankrupt) gives a big enough push to get out and do something new from scratch.

That doesnt appear to be the case.

Daydreaming for a different life is what most people in regular work do.

I think its important to distinguish what youre working for...live to work or work to live.?

You dont need any of the trappings of a well paid professional life to survive in a more basic simple way but if youre happy with how you live and what your job affords you, it will be difficult (but not impossible) to adjust.

There are plenty of people (on instagram for instance) who were, like you, working professionally and have ditched it all for life in a converted school bus, or whatever and living a mobile life making a living freelance in other ways.

As Bernie has already said maybe you could explore the possibilities in your time off or annual leave.

Get yourself a cheap motorhome and travel around UK or Europe,go on some of the more very basic holidays staying in yurts, go trekking well off the beaten track or stay on a few communes that offer experiential breaks or go do some helpx or wwoof things (theyre organisations that list hosts looking for working volunteers in exchange for accommodation for anything from a week to long term, if youve never heard of those orgs).

Somewhere along the exploratory route you might find what it is you really want to do with your life and if you really want to change drastically from what youre doing now.

The job gives you the safety net youre not yet ready to do without.

Unless you go do something different and get out of your comfort zone,challenge your attitude to your lifestyle and dependency on your career job you wont change much.

You may not really want to but its usually better to explore the possibilities if sufficiently motivated and while you have the comfort of a safety net,/luxury of a decent income, than having to adapt mentally and financially through unexpected change in circumstances.

Best of luck on your journey.

• If it is in you it happens naturally, is it that you are looking at "the grass is greener on the other side" syndrome?

Everybody fantasises about escaping, throwing it all in and becoming a "whatever whatever" that's just a mid life thing.

Or, you can see it as a re-evaluation process starting to kick in, taking stock and sorting though your pre-conceptions. Starting to ditch the baggage.

I would think that is a healthier viewpoint. Somewhere along the line in all of this you have to accept it part of getting older