Can't log into Laptop!

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hi,hoping someone can help me with my laptop.Last night I attempted to sign into my laptop.I kept receiving a message that the password was not recognised.I've had the same password for a long time now so I don't understand whats wrong.Tried more attempts,still not working.I have already tried the "Reset Password"option,but unfortunately keep getting a box coming up saying something like "No space you will need an outside media device...USB stick....."Well that would be ok except I don't have one!I've tried re setting,troubleshooting...and all I'm getting everytime is "You need more space to enable system to do this"!Well how do I provide more space if I can't even log in?Apart from taking my laptop to the repair shop this morning,does anyone have any other idea's I may be able to try?TIA

• Possibly Shroom,no one has replied to that post with a solution yet.What I don't understand with my laptop is its telling me I have no available space to install Windows updates.I don't have anything stored on my laptop.The only thing I use it for is Facebook,forums,emails and you tube,just general browsing stuff.I don't have any pics or music or special files.I can't even access settings to look at the storage space,because lack of passwork means no access.

• What I don't understand with my laptop is its telling me I have no available space to install Windows updates.I don't have anything stored on my laptop.

Windows is a nmassive resource hog, by the time you add the distro, swap file, hibernation space etc you can nearly be filling a small HDD. Windows downloads the updates before installing them - if its a big file or lots of updates you may well get the no space error.

What model is it?

• HP stream Rick.Just brought it last Feb,and all I keep getting is bloody boxes coming up saying "You need to create space to allow Window 10 to install updates"I know how to do this,but its happening every couple of days.I clear my history regularly too.

Is the laptop yours?

Yes!

• I went to log in last night.Got a message up saying wrong password.Now I've used that password for a while now and know it off by heart.I then pressed "Reset Password"...Then a box comes up saying "No drive.This feature requires removable media flash drive.Please connect a USB flash drive and try again"?

I tried shift/restart which takes me to troubleshooting etc.I've even tried to re boot(As in completely wiping everything off)but....then get a box up saying "Enter password"I do this....to then be told......"Password not recognised,reset password"And yep you guessed it,the No drive box comes back up again.Grrrr!

Not sure if this was the right thing to do,but I went onto Microsoft support.....told them the issue.They then sent me a form which I've just filled in to to validate my account and recover it.

The thing is I can't create more space without first logging in.

• You can remove any windows password with a live ubuntu distro by using chntpw. It is relatively easy, google has some clear instructions.

If you cant do it, maybe someone you know can?

Won't you have to be logged in to the laptop to do that though?Atm I'm using our desktop.

• HP stream Rick.Just brought it last Feb,and all I keep getting is bloody boxes coming up saying "You need to create space to allow Window 10 to install updates"I know how to do this,but its happening every couple of days.

A quick google (without knowing the exact model) shows some if them only have 32gig internal storage. I dont know about windoze 10 as ive never used it but i would imagine that it takes up even more space than 7, and that was a massive resource hog. It could well be that your hdd is nearly full with just the operating system before you even save anything to it. Windoze needs even more room to update as it will download all available updates to disk before trying to install them unless you tell it not to which is why you will be getting disk space errors. Disabling hibernate and limiting or even disabling the swapfile will gain you a few gig back, but that wont be of any use until you can get back into your system.

Ive had a google for an easy to use chntpw tutorial, This One is pretty straightforward.

Are you sure you havent got caps lock on or anything daft like that?

If you only use it for web browsing my advice would be to seriously consider installing ubuntu or similar and using firefox or chromium, whichever one you prefer and waving goodbye to all your windoze problems. You can run this from a usb stick without installing anything to see if you get on with it before making any permanent changes.

• Thanks Rick,no I havent got caps lock on,already double checked when trying my password.Yes I've only got 32gig and assumed when I brought it,it would be enough for what I wanted it for.I've just been on a HP forum,and it seems my model is notorious for lack of storage space,and most said they're returned the laptop due to frustration.

Can't access anything without my password!:(:rolleyes:

I need to access a USB,because I can't return this laptop(Its still under warranty)until I've removed all that was on there.I may have no choice but to take it to the repair shop Monday.

• Thanks guys,appreciate your help!:* Ok update......email from Microsoft,which has enabled me to change my password,so....I am now logged back into my laptop!However......I still need more space to update windows!I've gone onto troubleshooter,cleaned up the files which has worked a little bit,but....apparently not enough to download the updates!I need 8.something to update windows,and I am up to 25.something....and I only have the capacity of 32!

There's lots of Microsoft stuff on there,which when I go to "uninstall"it won't allow me to.Is this part of their licensing thing?TIA

• well done...open windows update and change the settings from 'automatically download and install' to 'inform you when downloads are available but do not download' or words to that effect.It will advise you against this change but just ignore it.

Then when youre informed of available updates you will get a list of them and manually install them one at a time by ticking one update checkbox at a time and install.

That should stop windows update overwhelming your tablets available memory.

Di occhi belli ne è pieno il mondo,ma di occhi che ti guardano con sincerità e amore, c'è ne sono pochi. :hippy:

• 25 gig for an OS! Ridiculous..

Go into updates and deselect half of them. Allow it to update and then restart and it will do the other half.

Yeah tell me about it.I've tried to uninstall them,they're all Microsoft,which won't allow me to uninstall.Grrr

• well done...open windows update and change the settings from 'automatically download and install' to 'inform you when downloads are available but do not download' or words to that effect.It will advise you against this change but just ignore it.

Then when youre informed of available updates you will get a list of them and manually install them one at a time by ticking one update checkbox at a time and install.

That should stop windows update overwhelming your tablets available memory.

Hmm the closest I can see is this..

(1)

Give me updates for other m/soft products when I update windows

(2)

Use my sign in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update!

It looks to me,from what I can see,is that I need to use an external USB to store stuff on,and then I can install the windows 10 update!

• It will be in settings I ve checked on Microsoft support.

Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selectCheck for updates.

You can( apparently) set it to check automatically or manually.I suggest you set it to manual check.

You should have adequate storage for personal items on 32GB drive on tablet Ive got that on my phone and have tons of stuff on it.

I think what is probably the issue is the partition on the drive its downloading updates to prior to installation is not large enough so the system decides the memory is full.If you download each update separately this clogging should not(in theory) happen but we are talking windows here.

It would be better if youre having problems often to store all your personal items on a large USB drive stick.If all your personal items are on drive and you encrypt them you dont leave it with the tablet theres no real need for a password on your tablet.

Your problem has decided one thing for me,I wont be buying a tablet. :)

Di occhi belli ne è pieno il mondo,ma di occhi che ti guardano con sincerità e amore, c'è ne sono pochi. :hippy:

The post was edited 2 times, last by NomadicRT ().

• Ok guys,I've done another clean up,its still not giving me enough space.As I said earlier,having read a few posts on the HP forum,people with the same model I've got (HP Stream,14inch laptop)have given up trying to free space up and returned it to the store,being unable to update windows 10.Now I have my password,I'm going wipe everything off after the weekend,return it and buy something else.Thankyou so much for your help and time,I really appreciated it.:)

Rick I was going to follow your link,but read down abit and it says....We recommend making a full back up before proceeding?Would'nt have a clue how to do that?^^

• To be fair it always says that - its in case you mess it up and lose all your stuff. I dont know how many actually bother!

If you only use it for web browsing etc id recommend you swap it for a decent android tablet instead of another model.

• My husband has a tablet Rick and I can't get on with them,I have enough issues using my smart phone (Its the touch screen thing I don't like)but thankyou anyway x